NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage for my pro-tec swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 2:35pm
You are missing the connection coming from the 8-pin harness, which is sourcing the voltage. It looks like PCM did wire it to the I terminal of the solenoid for some inexplicable reason- but that is not the source when the key is in the run position. Personally, I would remove it. I'd like to see a functional diagram of the inner workings of the solenoid... I was under the impression that the I and output (to the starter) terminals were common while cranking (that certainly is the functional effect when used in a traditional manner) but perhaps they are isolated based on how PCM appears to have used it in this set up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 2:54pm
My ohm meter tells me their's no continuity between the "I" terminal and anything else when the solenoid is not energized.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 3:11pm
For Jonny again

I think your. setup is just fine, don't change anything  It's working, but there's power from elsewhere to the "I" terminal

I also think your old mechanics are thinking about the fact that some applications use the "I" terminal and some don't.

The function of the "I" was to bypass the ballast resistor during starting on some applications giving a nominal 12v to the coil and when you let go of the key then the bypass is gone and the coil is getting the reduced voltage thru the resistor.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 7:04pm

Well against nearly impossible odds I managed to take a picture, put it on the computer and attach it here without asking anybody for help, mostly because no one was around.

But anyway, the attached picture is the guts of the type of solenoid that has generated so much discussion.

You can see the contacts in the housing, the 2 big ones for starter power and the little one for the "I" terminal.

You also see the wire from the "S" terminal going to the coil that when energized moves the slug which pushes the 3 legged contactor (at the top of the picture with a spring on it) against the contacts in the housing. The spring pushes the contacts apart when the solenoid is deenergized

The slug is the round piece on the right, it's about 3/4 of an inch long even though the picture doesn't really show that due to the angle.

So the "I" terminal only gets power from the big contactors when the "S" terminal is energized. When it's deenergized there is no continuity between the "i" terminal and anything else

A picture being worth a thousand words, this should help with how the solenoid works. I did leave a few parts out of the picture that weren't important to show the workings of this thing

Also, only somebody who's not too smart would take apart a perfectly sorta pretty good extra solenoid he had hanging around but then again I never claimed to be smart.

I am a little smarter now though since I can get a picture on here by myself
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 9:04pm
Well done sir

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 1:53am
Wow. I come back to a thread in 24 hours and I have two pages of stuff to read. I think we all know more now, and those of us with the DUI can continue to enjoy our powerful and trouble-free ignition systems.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

hey man maybe the por-tec solenoids are different

Lovin the jump suit!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Wow. I come back to a thread in 24 hours and I have two pages of stuff to read. I think we all know more now, and those of us with the DUI can continue to enjoy our powerful and trouble-free ignition systems.

The point of this thread was that malcom2 wants to make sure he is meeting the DUI voltage spec so he does have a powerful and trouble-free ignition system. If you think DUI's don't fail I have some bad news for you. If it was me I would fire up my boat and make a few measurements just to give myself piece of mind.

On second thought lets just wait for the "Why did my DUI fail. I wired it the same as Protec was" thread. That will be more entertaining than the usual old wooden boat threads.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 8:42pm
Why would my DUI fail? I checked, I have more than the minimum voltage available even after the battery has been sitting for a little more than a month. Plus - from the write up above the symptoms of a failure are easy to spot and won't damage the DUI. I would imagine that if I were to "unsplice" the wires going into my DUI I might experience less of a drop. Maybe. Every splice and butt-connector is a chance for more resistance....

OK, OK.... I'll add this to my list of winter projects:

1. Pull the transmission for a rebuild / fix leak.
2. Remove old side decals, sand down chips and scrapes in the gel, put on new decals.
3. Install PP system.
4. Make super-super sure my perfectly running DUI is really perfect.
5. Get in better shape for the 2016 ski season.

Numbers 1-4 won't help me with #5.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2015 at 7:29pm
OK, It is time to call this one DONE for $600>>>>>

I ended up getting a NEW starter, my rebuilder said the 23 year old one needed too much. So, I have

* installed a new starter ($130),
* new relay, ($12).
* reamed out one mounting hole on the T-stat housing to get clearance.
* new T-stat housing gasket and thinner walled water hose ($8)
* removed the wiring to the sensors (but left the sensors) from the Pro-Tec system,
* measured and built 8 new plug wires (not a pretty result, but I'll live with it.) ($65)
* re-gapped my old plugs as recommended.
* Found TDC on #1.
* re-installed the disty to point to #1 per the OEM layout.
* added a few washers under the disty hold down block to even it with the new larger disty shoulder.
* finished wiring the new D.U.I. disty ($385), as originally suggested using the "P" wire.
* checked and adjusted the timing per my owners manual.
* put 2 hours on my engine riding around the lake with the wife and the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a bit concerned after I mounted and wired the starter. I took additional voltage readings and everywhere I checked I got the same reading. BUT the readings with the key at start where still under 10.5v. I got 10v EVERYWHERE. Said to hell with it and put everything together.

12.5 at the places with key at 0
11.1 at the places with key at 1
10 at the places with the key at 2 and the disty disconnected so it won't start

I will have to say that it seems to be running better than it might have in '92. Just a half a turn on the key and she is purring like a kitten. I was so excited about that, that I forgot to take a voltage reading at IDLE... oh well winterization is coming soon. ;)

Thanks to all that chimed in. Could not have done this without your suggestions and moral support.

Clark

Made some room for my hose...

new thinner walled hot water hose does not TOUCH

Sippin' Jack on the "BACK PORCH"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2015 at 7:31pm
Nice job

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2015 at 7:41pm
Clark,
Nice! Glad it finally went back together. You should now get plenty more years of enjoyment out of the boat.

Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

I ended up getting a NEW starter, my rebuilder said the 23 year old one needed too much.

Wow! I wonder what he would say about starters older than 23 years. I'm sure glad my doctor doesn't tell me something like that! Did he even put the armature on the "growler" to see if it was good? Did you get the new one from him and did he take the old one as a core?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Clark,
Nice! Glad it finally went back together. You should now get plenty more years of enjoyment out of the boat.

Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

I ended up getting a NEW starter, my rebuilder said the 23 year old one needed too much.

Wow! I wonder what he would say about starters older than 23 years. I'm sure glad my doctor doesn't tell me something like that! Did he even put the armature on the "growler" to see if it was good? Did you get the new one from him and did he take the old one as a core?

The boss took Friday off, so i did not get to talk to him. I was just happy to not have to wait til monday. And it was $20 plus shipping cheaper than NP.com. They threw in a new big red wire from the relay to the starter. But, YES, I did purchase the new starter from the rebuilder. These guys really know what they are doing.... Todd's Auto Parts on 1st street near Titans stadium in Nashville, if you are from around here, and need Alt or Starter help, they are the place to go.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2015 at 3:25pm
Ta da! Well done, sir. Congrats.
TucsonMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 9:24pm
Installed my DUI today.
Was 11V with ign on, but only 9v when cranking (ECM disconnected) at the +12 wire to the CorrectCraft ECM.
Said 'let's see what happens' and wired that to the +12v on the DUI; Spliced to the existing wires for that and the tachometer.
New Accel wires from Summit racing; used a piece of masking tape, writing rotation and firing order on top of dist to make it easier.
Found TDC #1 and eyeballed where the rotor should be pointing.
Fired up first try in the driveway on the hose.
Not too worried about the voltage since it's higher due to the alternator once it's running and the starter relay "I" terminal supplies as much as possible during start.
Set 10 deg BTDC at 600 rpm; is 36 BTDC at 3600 RPM.
Water trial next weekend. I'll post back how it works.
Side note: This is a 1994 351 Pro Boss (with the holley carb). It has a dash light that illuminates when the engine has lost oil pressure or overheated. The wire from the dash for this light Y's close to the ECM connector to go to (the ECM) and (the Oil pressure switch and temperature switch). This light still worked after the ECM removal. I just cut the wire that went to the ECM. The light is supplied +12 from the key switch behind the dash, and either the oil pressure switch or the temp switch completes the circuit to ground upon low oil pressure or overtemp.

SkierMike
TucsonMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 12:35am
Almost forgot - My symptom is the engine had a rough idle that would sometimes be 900 rpm, then almost die. It was intermittent misfire from the Pro-tec - the port bank of cylinders had fouled plugs, while the starboard bank looked perfect. The PCM guys said that symptom is the coils going bad.
So - I have the original ECM with the coils attached and the PCM 'distributor'. Maybe the module is OK...
Pay shipping and they are yours...
SkierMike
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by TucsonMike TucsonMike wrote:

Installed my DUI today.
Was 11V with ign on, but only 9v when cranking (ECM disconnected) at the +12 wire to the CorrectCraft ECM.
Said 'let's see what happens' and wired that to the +12v on the DUI; Spliced to the existing wires for that and the tachometer.

Congrats to you,
your project sounds very familiar.... I do wonder if the recommended minimum 10.5v stated on the DUI website is with the engine running and not to start it. Either way we now know that the engine will start with less than 10.5v at the disty.

Maybe I will get to go out this weekend for one last ride. If I do, I will try to remember my "homework" and I'll check the disty wire voltage while running.

Clark

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 6:29pm
I sent an email this morning to Performance Distributors asking about minimum voltage requirements and potential DUI damage. Here is the response:

Sean,
Typically the DUI distributor needs a very minimum of 10 - 10.5 volts to get the engine to crank and run. Under 10 volts and there will not be enough voltage to make the distributor fire. Minimum running voltage for proper performance is 12 volts. It will run on less but performance will drop and you may develop a miss in the higher rpms, but it will not cause any damage to the electronic components of the distributor. Thank you.

Performance Distributors (DUI)
2699 Barris Drive
Memphis, TN 38132
901-396-5782
www.performancedistributors.com
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 9:04pm
Sweet. Great to get confirmation from Performance Distributors (DUI).
kf1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kf1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 1:52pm
So today I'm gonna run threw all my voltage drops and running voltage before I install my dui on my 93 ski nautique 351w. I know I got that dash wiring issue cause my gauges flicker when I run the dash lights and every gauge reads lower. I may have missed it in here but how do I go about fixing it. Or adding the wires in.

Thanks, Kyle
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by kf1928 kf1928 wrote:

I know I got that dash wiring issue cause my gauges flicker when I run the dash lights and every gauge reads lower. I may have missed it in here but how do I go about fixing it. Or adding the wires in.

Thanks, Kyle

Kyle,
The fix is basically heavier gauge wire for both the + and - feed to the dash, elimination of any daisy chaining and the use of high quality termination. I happen to like the adhesive lined heat shrink "sta-kons".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kf1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kf1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 3:20pm
hey i opened up the dash and im trying to figure out what wires to run anyone got a diagram?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2016 at 1:09pm
How much work do you want to do? There are threads that have instructions for complete rewiring of all the dash grounds etc... or just add a few wires to beef up your existing wiring. If you just want to add a few wires then connect a wire from the output of the ignition kill switch on the right side of the dash to the key switch.. This will essentially bypass all the daisy chain voltage drops across the dash. Then add a 10 gauge wire from the 50 amp breaker on the engine to the input to the dash and a 10 gauge ground wire from the engine to the dash.
kf1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kf1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2016 at 2:43pm
yeah im gonna just beef it up. thanks
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:04pm
six month update. Out for the 1st time last week. Engine did not want to start after 6 mths in storage. Just had to keep at her and she fired up. The rest of the day it was perfect. all it takes is just a touch of the key and she starts.

Going out today. Maybe I'll take a video and put it on YouTube.... If I can remember. It is usually stressful getting in the water, then the stress melts away...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic