NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 W stops after being shut off wont start

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 8:19pm
Did you confirm loss of spark when this happens? I did not see that.
phillipsrj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 8:07pm
I think I have it narrowed down. It is ignition. The Coil gets very hot and shuts down until it cools off. I do not know what is causing it? I am replacing the ballast resistor today thinking it may be the problem? When it is cool it starts and runs like a champ! Let it set for twenty minutes and she refuses to start.

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

In my old boat i converted to pertronix ignitors.

I'm always curious about why? Dwell a problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I did a google search Ford Distributor HEI Conversion, several popped up.

The number of marine HEI conversions for Ford is a short list, none are in the $150 range that I am aware of. The DUI unit is more than 2x that cost. If the unit has a vacuum advance it is almost undoubtedly not marine, and does not have any of the marine spark arresting features. (=explosion hazard)

Bringing this thread full circle, I have not heard any positive feedback as to whether this is a fuel or ignition problem... So chances are good that we're still on a wild goose chase here. Has any spark testing or fuel issues been investigated when the symptoms arise? I did not read anything to indicate any sort of meaningful troubleshooting had occurred.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 3:09pm
In my old boat i converted to pertronix ignitors. worked beautifully.   Because it was an offshore boat and we typically traveled over 35miles out i carried 2 spares but never had an issue during the 6 years we ran it.   only thing that happened was the coil on starboard engine came apart, end shot out, screw was loose and oil leaked out.   That was a pertronix flame thrower coil. after that i pulled coil on other engine and tightened up the screw before it became an issue.   
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 1:54pm
I did a google search Ford Distributor HEI Conversion, several popped up.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 1:53pm
The distributor I dropped in had Vacuum advance but we did not hook it up. It has no advantage in a boat because the engines are under load all the time. In a car it really helps but not in a boat.. Before ordering any distributor make sure you check your clearances.
The one we installed barely had room. The Ford is pretty tight for space.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 8:45pm
Bob,
You must be looking at automotive distributors. Marines are mechanical advance.
Installing a distributor old or new involves getting the firing order correct to the position of the distributor and then timing it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 7:51pm
Thanks,

Did the new Distributor just drop in or would you suggest professional install. Do you have the part #. The ones I see on the net have a vacuum advance?

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 5:26pm
Yes.

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 5:24pm
The base in the distributor is gone. So the chance of a retro fit would cost me a whole new distributor.

Thanks

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 4:59pm
My Brother had a Supra with the 351 and standard marine distributor and points. His distributor needed repair so we bought a new distributor with a GM type HEI coil on cap set up. It has been a couple years but I remember it being less than $130. was a fast drop in solution and improved idle quality, cold start and ran great up to his wide open throttle 4,200, prop limited RPM.   The GM HEI electronic ignition systems are simple, cheap and have worked well for many years. Replacement parts are available at every parts store.   Points work fine and don't scare me at all, this was just a quick solution to his worn out distributor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 7:32am
Originally posted by phillipsrj phillipsrj wrote:

I really don't like points but I would rather get a good replacement EI if one is available.
Commodore Bob

Bob,
Personally I don'y feel there is a good EI conversion replacement When they go bad, they can strand you out in the middle of the lake. Because of this, there are some who even carry a spare module on board! With a point set, unlike a EI which typically works or doesn't, points going will typically cause some engine stumbling. A quick cleanup of the contact faces will get you home. As mentioned, if a EI is the way someone wants, the way to go is a DUI which is a complete distributor replacement. There are no performance gains by just dropping in a EI module. Points have worked since the turn of the century after the "hit and miss" ignitions. I have gone YEARS without even pulling a cap off a distributor. The only issue you may have with going back to a point set is not having the base plate for them inside your distributor. Did the PO by chance include the plate when he sold it?

You haven't mentioned why you don't like points. I'm curious.

As HW mentioned, do you have a friend who is more acquainted with engines who could help out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:26am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:20am
Bob,
How did you select the coil? What voltage is going to the coil? Some are internally resisted dropping the voltage and others need the ballast resistor to drop the volts before the coil. It's a white ceramic piece about 2" long next to the main breaker on the aft end of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:12am
The coil is so hot I can only hold my finger on it for about five seconds before getting burned? It's new
Commodore Bob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:10am
I have no Idea what a ballast resistor is or where to look for it? Any pics?

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:10am
Bob,
Why don't you like points? Coils can run hot. How hot is yours'getting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:07am
The EI was done before I purchased the Boat. I will try the test. Are coils supposed to be very hot? I really don't like points but I would rather get a good replacement EI if one is available. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Coil is warm. And NEW. Same problem as with the old coil. It has electronic conversion.
Commodore Bob

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Find someone that knows what they are doing unless you do enjoy throwing parts at it. The problem should be easily narrowed in on.

I suspect the EI conversion. Put the point set back in.

Pull the main center wire off the distributor. Put a spark plug in the end keeping the other end in the coil. Groun the plug to the block. Remove the negative wire from the distributor off the coil. Turn on the ignition. Using a jumper wire from a block ground, ground the negative side of the coil briefly. When the ground is removed from the coil, you should get a spark. . If so, it's the junk EI conversion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Coil is warm. And NEW. Same problem as with the old coil. It has electronic conversion.
Commodore Bob

I suspect the EI conversion. Put the point set back in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:21pm
Are you using a ballast resistor? Sounds like the coil is getting too high voltage. Water temp shoudn't fail the spark.

I would replace the ignition system you have, as it has been compromised & cannot be relied on.

Some will advise you to change back to points, others will steer you to the DUI.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:07pm
[QUOTE=phillipsrj] Font=AerialSIZE=3)/SIZE)

I have a 1986 Correct Craft Martinique that starts and runs strong. After I shut it down it will not re-start. Even with starting fluid! It does not act like it is flooded.

Replaced coil, ignition switch and put in modern water/ fuel filter.

10/24/15 I finally got her back into the drink! Ran good for a half hour then I brought her back and the same thing happened . She would not re-start after setting about 10 minutes.
What I did is pull a plug and check for spark. (No spark) Before that I put 1 OZ of fuel down the carb. No pops or trying to start. I SAY IGNITION! NOW the boat has been converted to EI before I got it> I pulled the dist. cap and the EI was really hot as well as the new coil I had just put in. ( I could not put my finger on it for a count to five ) The distributor cap looked ok, clean and the posts were not funky.

SOME SAY VAPOR LOCK BUT THAT WOULD NOT STOP THE SPARK

The engine runs at temps between 160 and 180 ..180 when pulling hard. Is the engine running too hot? Normally between 160 and 170 in warm Florida water.
What Say Correct Craft Guys & Gals?
Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 11:56pm
1st check for spark. If you have that, then pour small amount (like 1/2 oz) of gas down carb, put flame arrestor back & it should start.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 10:17pm
Bob,
Do check for spark. If the timing is off even more than 10 degrees, the engine will run. As HW mentioned, it sounds like you just like throwing parts at it. Don't!! Do some testing first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 10:15pm
check valve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 9:49pm
I have done the work myself. We have only owned the boat since June. It already had the electronic ignition installed. I could not get the gas filter apart so I replaced it with a new style spin on (same problem before and after the swap) but now the filter is easy to change. I checked all cells in the battery and all are good. I thought maybe the coil was soft so I replaced it from Nautique Parts. Then the ignition switch was sticky so just to be sure I replaced it.

I know enough about Motors to get into trouble. Some suggest the timing is too advanced?
Up to 1986 I guess it is 6 deg. b-4 TDC and after 86 10 deg. May try that. Also I can take off the fuel feed to the carb and crank it and see if the fuel pump is working. (It does not smell or act flooded)

If I have spark and I have fuel it must be the carb? Float or?

Commodore Bob THINKING ALOUD
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 9:25pm
Bob,
In your posts, you've mentioned work has been done to the engine. Have you been doing it or do you have someone else?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 7:04pm
If you know of someone that understands older inboards send them my way. I will even bring the boat to them. I'm Retired
Commodore Bob.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 6:49pm
Find someone that knows what they are doing unless you do enjoy throwing parts at it. The problem should be easily narrowed in on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic