Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Pump
    Posted: July-10-2015 at 12:56pm
I have a 97 sport with the GT 40. This year the boat seems to be running warmer than normal. It has always run an 16o. But at times it will run up to 200 and often around 180. I am in the process of checking for air leaks and blockages. Usually it runs 160 at idle but then at speed the temp will jump up to 195 and then back off to about 180. I replaced the themostat last year. I have checked the impeller and see no visible damage.   The impeller was replaced last year. I typically replace them every other year.   I have been researching on this and other sites and from what I read it sounds like it could be the raw water pump itself. Is there a way to check the raw water pump to see if it is performing properly? I would like to know for sure before I drop $430 on one.
I have read it needs to suck a 5 gallon bucket in 15 seconds. Is that at idle RPMspeed? Is that the only way to test them?
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 1:52pm
from my testing, 15 seconds at idle seems a little short to me (it seemed more like 30-45 seconds). I would start by tightening all your hose clamps with a nut driver. You can also check the exhaust to make sure those are wide open and clear.

If you run it on the hose/bucket, does the temps still do the same thing? Have you checked the engine temps using an IR thermometer to rule out gauge/sensor issues?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 3:15pm
Where do you shoot the ir thermometer at?
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 3:23pm
all over. at the sensor, intake manifold, block, exhaust manifolds. the readings will probably be all over the place, but it will give you an idea of you are truly running hot. If the gauge is reading 200 but the block is 140, that might give you some direction. You could always pull the sensor out and get some hot water and verify the gauge and sensor with the IR thermometer.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 5:22pm
Your symptoms are not indicative of loose hoses or clamps it's either a marginal impeller or a blockage someplace in the system usually downstream from the impeller when an old impeller fragged. This is usually at the thermostat housing. Another possibility is a clogged oil cooler. Check those things first.
However, the RWP can't be ruled out either. No need to buy new if that's the case. They can be rebuilt but you need a press of some sort for the bearing. Many here have done it.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 7:29pm
Johnathan,
Was the impeller an OEM impeller? There are know issues with aftermarket like Sierra.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 8:54pm
Yep always buy the Sherwood OEMs from NP.
Might go ahead and buy another one even though this one looks to be in good shape from every way visible I can see.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:22pm
The brass plate, that the impeller sides touch, needs to be mostly smooth. Other can tell you if if can be sanded flat & shimmed. Never done it myself.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 2:02am
So ordered a new impeller and did the flow test. No problems there. Sucks tons of water at 3000 RPM. 5 gallon bucket is down way less than 15 seconds. Looked at the old impeller. No pieces missing. replaced all the hoses between the raw water pump and thermostat.   Took the thermostat off and no blockages in the housing no blocks in the hoses to the risers.   Tested the thermostat in a pan of hot water. It opened just fine. Tightened all my hose clamps. No clogs in the oil cooler, water strainer is fine no cracks and doesn't appear to be sucking air.
When I start the engine and warm it up it goes up to 200 and stops and then fluctuates between 180 and 200 on the gauge. Shot all over the engine with the IR thermometer and never found any temp above 130. It could be that I didn't run the engine long enough to get the block and manifold hot enough, but when the gauge was showing 200 I could put my hand under the exhaust water and it didn't feel that hot. Didn't even burn my hand. It couldn't have been above 100 degrees. The thermometer showed that too.   I'm going to try replacing the sensor on the circulating water pump next unless anyone has any other ideas.   
   At Idle the water comes out of the exhaust port intermittently. I think this is only because my driveway slopes down and the nose of the boat is pointing down, but not sure if that would indicate anything. Any other ideas? I'm hoping its the sensor or the gauge.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 3:01am
If actual temps are 130 and below I would agree with gauge or sensor. Somewhere on here should be a resistance table for the sensor. I would check resistance at back of gauge to make sure it matches what is coming out of sensor as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 10:30am
Could just be a loose or semi-broken wire.

Ben Franklin
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 6:19pm
Well, I dont know what it is with me and thermostats but that seems to be what it was.   Went to the parts house to get a new sensor and while I was there I thought I might as well grab a thermostat too just in case.   Ran it first with the old thermostat and the new sensor and it heated right up. Put the new T stat in and it worked just fine. Put the old sensor in just to double check my results and it works fine.   Its weird because I tested that thermostat and it opened so it must have been faulty. It was a genuine PCM too, just put in last year.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 6:22pm
Funny how a new one failed - mine is 26 years old & still working good.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 6:30pm
seeing how most everything in my 89 is original, i think my t-stat is also 26 years old and seems to be working great.

I am wondering the thoughts of this crew on a t-stat modification. I have read where some drill a small hole through the t-stat which they claim lets it run a little cooler. My readings have pros and cons with and without the hole. Anyone in this realm dill a hole?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 6:34pm
well, found a thread talking about the weep hole.

thread link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 7:49pm
When you guy's check thermostats do you just throw it in the container your heating or do you suspend it so that it does not touch the bottom?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic