Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil level

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil level
    Posted: June-26-2015 at 1:43pm
I have a 1975 with a 351 that seems to hold 8qts of oil, seems excessive. Anyone ever heard of this?
Rob
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 5:59pm
Yes, but not on a marine engine. It is common for high performance automobile engines to be equipped with a high capacity oil pan to accommodate a high volume oil pump and provide an adequate amount of oil so the oil pump does not suck the pan dry before the oil begins to return to the sump. I doubt a 8qt oil pan would even fit into the bilge of most CC boats. More likely situation is the dipstick for the oil was replaced at some point in the past and it is not properly calibrated for the capacity of your oil pan.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 6:22pm
My Mustang holds 6 quarts and my Air Nautique GT40 holds 4 1/2. You need to check the oil level sitting in the water not on a trailer.
Tim D
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 6:27pm
Correct,that is where I check the level. That's why I'm trying to get the dimensions of the pan that holds 5 quarts. I am in engineering so if someone can provide that I Wil be able to establish the size by volume and come up with quarts. Any help in that area would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rob
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 3:32pm
Would any one happen to have the dimensions on the oil pan from a mid 70's nautique with the Ford 351?
Rob
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 8:15pm
Well, the filter will hold about a quart.
Tim D
bobcycleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcycleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 5:04pm
Hi-- I've got a '74 Ski Nautique with a 351 Windsor. These were apparently built at a time when Waukesha was doing dome of the marine set-ups and PMC was starting to also. Turns out I have a larger capacity oil pan--could have been swapped out somewhere along the line--I've had the boat about 9 years. We did the"scientific" test--oil pan off the block, mounted the pick up to a brace to hold in place, set the pan at about "water level" orientation and found that 7 quarts was about right for pick up and dispersion when in use. We're now using 7 1/2 qts. on bare naked fill-up plus 11oz MOA treatment. We had changed the fitting at the back of the pan so we could have a hose outlet for oil draining when ready--which changed the distance to the marks on the dipstick. With the 7+ quarts we're getting a reading right between the "low" and "full" marks. Last year we were running with about 5 qts plus and had some oil starvation--fried the forward bearing sets. I hope that helps! And FYI-- not a lot of clearance between the pan and the bilge!
Bobcycleb
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 8:17pm
When I bought my 78 SN, I noticed that the dipstick location was bolted on and had some sealant around it. Clearly a patch job onto the side of the oil pan.
When i drained the oil that was at the full mark on the dipstick it was close to7 litres.
I have been running 5 litres since and had no issues.
When I change the oil it just shows about 3/8 of an inch at the bottom of the dipstick.....
I have 7 1/2 inches clearance from the front of the pan down to the hull at the drain hole, and 2 inches at the back of the pan to the hull......
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 9:01pm
Bob,
Some of the early Waukesha's had cast pans. Does yours?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

When I bought my 78 SN, I noticed that the dipstick location was bolted on and had some sealant around it. Clearly a patch job onto the side of the oil pan.
When i drained the oil that was at the full mark on the dipstick it was close to7 litres.
I have been running 5 litres since and had no issues.
When I change the oil it just shows about 3/8 of an inch at the bottom of the dipstick.....
I have 7 1/2 inches clearance from the front of the pan down to the hull at the drain hole, and 2 inches at the back of the pan to the hull......

Liters? Sorry the metric system never took hold down here, how does that compare to a quart?

Anyone remember when Monty Python proposed the Metric Alphabet?   
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 10:27pm
Lol. Notice I also spelled it the right way...litre, not liter........

5 litres is about 4.6 quarts.

Does that sound right for my sized oil pan? I always kinda wondered about whether I should throw an extra LITRE in there..... :)

ps. Do I get any points for using inches instead of centimetres on my measurement?   
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 10:44pm
Actually I typed it right but apparently spell-check converted it.

Been to Stony Lake in Ontario a whole bunch of times. It was desolate then but now built up, if you're not familiar it's where they filmed Cheaper By The Dozen 2.

Best part of Canada as i recall is you can only buy beer by the 12 pack. Stubby 12 ounce bottles of Molson Brador, Stock Ale, & Export Ale,we used to smuggle back cases of in the vacant space where the rear facing seat in a Chrysler station wagon normally resided. Oh..and cigarettes were 25 to a pack, Dumoire's (spelling?) and Rothmans...gotta love our northern neighbors.....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
bobcycleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcycleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 10:52pm
Yes. I believe it is. It's very stout and looks like it came out of a mold.
Bobcycleb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 10:56pm
I like the smaller craft brews.....Sleemans, Granville Island, Just tried Fernie (north of Eureka Montana) brewing and it was good.
Never smoked, but I thought cigs were cheaper in the South.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2015 at 11:54pm
Yup Craft brews are all the rage. I was recently in a big liquor store and overhearing some 20-somethings go on and on and on (and on...) about hop content and all that crap, and they finally settled on a brand. It took all my restraint at the register to not say "Really?...... All that chat about a lousy six-pack?" When I go to the register with a friend we need a shopping cart... OMG right then and there I wanted to give them a tutorial on the virtues of Bitburger, there's a reason why it's the best selling beer in Germany. ...

That being said, i don't mind a few local microbrews, but the trend towards such hoppiness these days makes it like grapefruit juice and so limits how much you can drink.

Cigarettes? I typically now only smoke when I drink, or at the lake (never in the boats, my golden rule). Still fairly cheap in the south; but my daughter just went back to NY, I told her better bring some with you, cigs are now like $15 a pack in the city thanks to Comrade DiBlasio. ...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic