NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Key Switch?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key Switch?
    Posted: June-06-2015 at 5:37pm
My 98 sport turns over and starts immediately but won't stay running as soon as I let go of the key.. If I hold it on start it will run fine, as soon as I let it go to run, it dies. I've checked the killswitch and that is fine. Anything else to look at first, oror replace the key switch because it's probably bad?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 7:44pm
Get the VOM out and make sure you are getting 12 volts out of the R terminal when the key is in the run position. If not, then change the key switch. Report back. Don't change parts without testing first becoming just a "parts changer"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 12:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Get the VOM out and make sure you are getting 12 volts out of the R terminal when the key is in the run position. If not, then change the key switch. Report back. Don't change parts without testing first becoming just a "parts changer"!

Pete, I didn't have the meter handy so I changed out the cap and rotor, plugs, ignition relay, exhaust risers, and just to be safe I replaced the drain plug.

Mr. Brainard, I think I've been around here a few minutes, long enough for you to know I'm not a "parts changer"! Give me a little bit of credit!

Thanks for the suggestion. Right after I posted this our guests showed up so I wasn't able to do any troubleshooting, will get to it tomorrow. Had to take them around the lake in the Glastron, oh well.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 12:59am
Ah, some 007 stylin' an profilin' !!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 1:02am
While you're swapping out the drain plug (ok
Humor attempt over), I had a similar problem, start, then stall. All I did was bleed some air out of the pressure test port on the fuel line (Shrader valve). It
Must have gotten into the system when the fuel filters were changed. It solves the problem for me.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:09am
Good to know, thanks for the suggestion.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:58am
If it's a GT40, there is a diode in the harness where the ignition wire comes off the start relay to feed the ignition circuit. If that diode fails, it will behave as described. I would investigate the kill switch circuit thoroughly before getting into the harness.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Mr. Brainard, I think I've been around here a few minutes, long enough for you to know I'm not a "parts changer"! Give me a little bit of credit! .

David,
Sorry but I didn't mean to offend you in any way but you did give me the impression you were going to change out the switch before testing.

or replace the key switch because it's probably bad?

Knowing you from being on CCfan for all the years, it did surprise me!

Have you had a chance to look for the problem yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 2:09pm
Pete, no offense taken! I'm actually pretty hard to offend.

This was one of those weekends where the kids events never seemed to end, had no time to get to the boat. Looked a bit this morning, found that my cheapo Radio Shack multi meter won't read resistance, changed the battery for a new one and still nothing. But, I have power to one side of the kill switch, not the other, so hopefully that's the issue. I have to leave now but will get back to it tonight, it's possible the 2 leads are connected to the wrong prongs on the kill switch, there are 4 available, I think one pair are for 2-stroke's. I can't see well enough so have to get a mirror to see if the prongs are marked on the switch. I'm wondering if when the upholsterer had that coaming pad off this winter to put the new skin on he may have pulled the leads from the kill switch and put them back on the wrong studs. I'm hoping it's that easy ....
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 2:33pm
was it the drain plug ?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Sleepyone Sleepyone wrote:

was it the drain plug ?

I don't think so, but I installed a drain plug relay to take the load off the plug just in case.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 8:34pm
Haha, it could be as easy as what you're saying. That kill switch needs to be in order for the fuel pumps to run.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 8:40pm

I installed a drain plug relay to take the load off the plug .

Great idea but I hope the relay contacts are rated at 30A. The plugs really pull the juice!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 9:32pm
Pete I would have thought you'd advise the plug be installed with proper alignment.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2015 at 1:47am
Just wanted to wrap this one up a few weeks later.

It was the kill switch, wires were attached to the wrong terminals. Like I said above I'm assuming the upholsterer had to disconnect it and reconnected it wrong. But, while I was at it with the meter it seemed to me that the switch was hit and miss even with the lanyard connected, like the plunger wasn't activating it early enough in the stroke. The boat has run fine since but I just got a new kill switch in and will replace this one shortly.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 4:47pm
How is the condition of the safety lanyard itself? Is it really faded? When I first got my boat the lanyard was really faded to a pink color and the plastic had weakened to the point where it could not consistently hold the kill switch button in. Once I figured out that was the problem, a few rounds of duct tape made it thick enough to get through the weekend and then a new lanyard solved the problem permanently.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:15pm
It is faded and almost looked like some stress around the bend in the plastic. I'm going to toss this one now that I have the new one that came with the switch. I keep a spare lanyard in the tool box as a just in case, though I made up a short jumper wire with female spade connectors at both ends while I was waiting for the new switch to arrive, will put that in the tool box as well.

Maybe a new lanyard would cure the switch, but for the few bucks a new switch cost I'm happier just changing it out.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:43pm
Your description of the lanyard sounds very similar to mine. Glad your switch came with a new one. I didn't want you to change out the switch only to have the same problem and start chasing fuel pump breakers, etc.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 2:27pm
When you're in a pinch with these lanyard switches, a penny inserted between the button and the plastic finger that holds it down will cause the finger to hold the button down a bit more firmly. I've done this many times. The rich folks can use a dime.
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic