NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'95 Ski GT-40 question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '95 Ski GT-40 question
    Posted: June-05-2015 at 12:57pm
Ok cool, thanks Mike.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 12:50pm
Yup, you got it Brian. General tune up did the trick.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 12:47pm
Hi Mike,

So, it sounds like general tune-up was the final answer?

Just curious, so I can add the fix to the GT40 Thread
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 3:19pm
Hey guys. Thanks for all the help here.

The 95 is NOW running 5000-5100 rpms at 46-47mph on the 1442 acme.

Parts replaced: fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. And a few cans of sea foam and some fuel injector cleaner here and there.

Culprit: cap/rotor, and plug wires didn't hurt.   One plug wire connection on the cap was rusty/dusty and just no good. Was 99% sure when I saw that when replacing that that was our problem.

It runs like a beast now! So happy to have it 100%.   Thanks again your advice and knowledge sharing.   
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

All you guys with your fancy fuel injected motors.

Just more things to break!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 4:15pm
All you guys with your fancy fuel injected motors.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

It's our team boat so it'll be pulling quite a few footers every now and then and I would LOVE to see 48-49.!

I also have the GT - 40 P heads and a CR camshaft that may help a little.

that info may have been a little more pertinent earlier in the thread...I'm not sayin just saying..    
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 3:57pm

It's our team boat so it'll be pulling quite a few footers every now and then and I would LOVE to see 48-49.!

I also have the GT - 40 P heads and a CR camshaft that may help a little.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 2:47pm
So, Max RPM in the GT40 manual states 4800...

New plugs and new fuel filter installed...I'm running about 4750 with the ACME1442 now at 44mph

It's still not "right" to my standards...feels weird up there but maybe that's just how it is
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:55pm
Next question...

What spark plugs are you guys running in your GT40s?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:49pm
I never noticed one on mine either,I'll have to look but because my engine is bacerds its not as easy to see in there.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:27pm

Good news, I found the real fuel filter! right next to the stringer where it was mentioned, so thank you for the help!!!

About that little inline filter........ Do you guys think i should remove it, or think it may have anything to do with my top end/RPM issues?

I ordered my new real fuel filter today.

It has nothing to do with much of anything other than if your having a vacuum leak and their is a crack in that filter. Leave it alone. My 99 has one, 97 buddies has one, and other buddies 01 has it.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:25pm
I see the filter in your picture. You have one - Gun-Driver
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:24pm
Good news, I found the real fuel filter! right next to the stringer where it was mentioned, so thank you for the help!!!

About that little inline filter........ Do you guys think i should remove it, or think it may have anything to do with my top end/RPM issues?

I ordered my new real fuel filter today.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:18pm
I find the part somewhat odd. The vacuum from the engine would suck air from the map sensor not push it so what the heck is a fuel filter need for. Maybe they put it in for some rare case where the engine backfires and blows gas into the vacuum tube and it would make it all the way to the map sensor and kill it. Under normal conditions the vacuum would be pulling on the map sensor so all you are doing is filtering the sucking from the map sensor to the upper intake manifold. The part also has an arrow on it telling direction but by playing with the part in my tool box I don't see much of a difference.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:13pm
That's strange as mine doesn't have one

My bad it looks like I do have one. Funny I don't remember that when I did the referb.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 8:37pm
That is the vacuum line for the MAP sensor.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:47pm
It is a fuel filter inline as part of the vacuum system.

Evinrude part Filter-Fuel-398327

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:03pm
Mike
I have no idea what that is see if you can track it to the ends and maybe we can figure out what it's for.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Gun Driver your boat is really clean. Looking good.

Thanks Mark. With two kids (8 & 4) and a dog it's an up hill battle to keep her clean.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 11:15am
Thanks Paul!!! That helps a ton.   Just what I needed!

I also found this (with windshield washer hoses on it apparently)

Edit: Ok, I quit, can't get my pics to link anymore   

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 4:32am
Gun Driver your boat is really clean. Looking good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:38am
Should be between the tank and the low pressure pump along the left main stringer.
You can see where mine is in the bottom left of the picture.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 11:34pm
Hey guys, So...this may sound stupid but I can't find the fuel filter on this thing. Help?

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 5:00pm
I buy the low price ATF at walmart, it is around $9.00 for a gallon, makes cheap injector cleaner. I do not think it would help a carburetor. I have been told that the Ford ATF has more lubricants in it than the GM ATF but most sold now says it is compatible with both.

Thanks for the kind words about the color, we are happy with it. The trailer looks good and tows well but it did a lousy job of keeping the boat on the trailer in an accident last year, posted on here last August, since repaired and upgraded for safety.

The 224 I purchased from Tim and I have been happy with it. It does not give any noise at idle and is quiet at wakeboard speeds compared to the OJ 3 and 4 blades I have, and it outperforming the OJ's at low and high speed. I would like to play with other props but the cost makes me happy with what I have so Thanks to TIm, TRBENJ for good advice on this prop.
Once last summer with one person aboard, premium fuel and a garmin GPS and smooth water with the Bimini top down it ran a touch over 50 mph at 5,200-5,300 RPM.   Normally is does not pull that high but that day it was good.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 4:17pm
So what type of ATF do you run through it?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 3:53pm
In the early 90's I ran into many Fuel Injection issues, one of the products my company owned was Carter and at that time we had injectors and fuel pumps we manufactured and sold. I called on literally thousands of shops.   Some Fuel Injection cleaners caused more problems than they solved in those early years. I am sure they are better now but I never saw an issue with ATF.   Most of the Diesel guys ran ATF as a fuel injector lubricant. Not with every tank but occasionally they would drop in ATF for the lubrication and cleaning of Fuel Injectors. To date I have never heard a complaint related to it's use.   If your vehicle had a Catalytic converter I would cut back to 1/2 QT rather than a full quart.. On a boat I would add the ATF after putting in the fuel and drive it around to mix it up and than forget about it and let it do its job.
Since hearing this in the 90's I have used it many times in all my vehicles that are fuel injected and shared it with many shops and friends when they had rough idle issues.
It works very well.   Marvel may work equally well or better but I have no experience with Marvel.   I did add Marvel to my oil in my Diesel when I was in extremely cold area's, -7 with a 30 mile headwind made cold starts near impossible for a guy not used to that. The Marvel helped a lot, it helped the engine oil not thicken as much and the engine turned over much faster on the cold start.   I have heard that Marvel is a very highly refined Oil, I have not heard it has cleaning additives.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 11:33am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I've heard of guys running ATF and Jet-A in diesels for clean up but not in gassers doesn't mean it can't be done just never heard of it till now.
As for the GT -40 I run the 1442 runs 48 - 49 and will spin it up to 5200 and I'll run It there for a long time getting down the lake. Won't hurt a healthy 351

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 11:31am
I've heard of guys running ATF and Jet-A in diesels for clean up but not in gassers doesn't mean it can't be done just never heard of it till now.
As for the GT -40 I run the 1442 runs 48 - 49 and will spin it up to 5200 and I'll run It there for a long time getting down the lake. Won't hurt a healthy 351
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 9:48am
Fuel injector cleaner costs about the same as atf last I checked.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic