Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 SN Stiff steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 SN Stiff steering
    Posted: April-26-2015 at 10:04pm
So we've changed the steering cable twice in about 5ish years and it didn't make any noticeable difference in steering stiffness. The steering is really easy when stationary but under power, it takes a lot of effort.

We inspected the rudder packing before replacing it to see what size we needed. When everything was reinstalled, we added some grease to the packing and the rudder shaft. This made a huge difference and the boat was a dream to drive! Figuring the packing was done for, we replaced the packing and reassembled everything with grease with fantastic results. After a couple weeks, it seems like the grease wears off and the stiffness goes back to crap.

Any idea what's causing this? Is there supposed to be a seal or anything at the bottom of the rudder?
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 12:36pm
Bump...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 12:49pm
How much slop is there between the rudder port and the shaft?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 12:55pm
There is no slop when it's installed. I could try to pull the rudder and measure both the rudder shaft and the rudder port.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 12:59pm
Usually excessive rudder shaft to port clearance makes for hard steering under load because it binds the shaft in the port barrel.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 1:01pm
Installed with the packing reasonably tight it isn't going to move, however if there is a lot of clearance between the two it can point load the top and bottom of the port underway and not turn as easily.   I have seen trying to keep the bends in the cable as sweeping as possible help a bit as well.   I haven't seen an oil seal installed on one but it could be done...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 1:05pm
The point loading causing issues under heavy rudder loading is certainly what it seems like.

So realistically the only fix is to either continue greasing the rudder shaft and packing regularly...or...replace both the shaft and rudder port because our current one is likely too worn?

Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 7:22pm
So I pulled the rudder and shaft yesterday to measure the two. The rudder measures between 1.244" - 1.246" on the entire length and the shaft measures 1.250 at the top and bottom. The inside of the rudder packing nuts measures 1.730-1.733.

Based on these measurements, I can't see how these parts are worn. There has to be something else wrong with this rudder that make it drag. We've tried 2 and 3 rings of 1/4" packing and the steering cable has been replaced without much change. The only thing that makes any difference is grease on the packing but even that creates more drag than any other boat I've driven.

Maybe the stack up of all the parts is wrong or there is a piece missing or adjusted poorly. Below is the installed rudder. Is this correct? How tight should everything be?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 8:02pm
Is there any up and down movement? I would think there would be when you had 2 rings of packing vs three. When you tighten the bolt from the top it's not pulling the arm down and binding it to the packing nut is it ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 9:15pm
3 rings didn't allow the tiller arm to sit flush with the top of the rudder. The only way to make it flush was to overtighten the packing nut which made the rudder extremely difficult to move even while stationary.

2 rings allowed the packing nut to sit lower but yes there is a little bit of up/down movement in the rudder now. About 1/8".
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

3 rings didn't allow the tiller arm to sit flush with the top of the rudder. The only way to make it flush was to overtighten the packing nut which made the rudder extremely difficult to move even while stationary.

2 rings allowed the packing nut to sit lower but yes there is a little bit of up/down movement in the rudder now. About 1/8".

What size packing are you using?
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

What size packing are you using?

1/4"
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 2:07pm
Seen your post on BOS about the same issue.   I noticed here you didn't add the fact that the boat steers hard to the right. Do you think the 1/4" packing is too big?
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 2:57pm
Well it turns slightly harder to the right but after installing grease on the packing, it isn't hard anymore. Left is a little more automatic is all. I'm not positive that 1/4" is the right size but the difference between the inside of the packing nut and the rudder shaft is 0.480" so a layer of 1/4" packing on each side would seem reasonable.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:33pm
Let's have a pic of the trim tab on the rudder. I have mine probably 1/16" off from dead center and that provides plenty of rudder load. If the tab is tweaked one way or another in any major way, or the rudder has been ground, it would change steering feel significantly.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:48pm
There is no rudder grinding. The trim tab position makes little to no difference on rudder torque on this boat. We've gone both ways and really don't notice anything. Right now it's pushed as far to the drivers side as it'll go.

Could the prop have anything to do with all this? There is a stainless 4 blade prop on this boat and it's probably 3-4 inches from the rudder. My boat barely has 1/4" between the prop and the rudder.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:57pm

Right now it's pushed as far to the drivers side as it'll go.

Well, at least set it neutral for the purposes of getting 1 more variable out of play. Putting it all the way one way or another should impart a dramatic difference in rudder load.

As for the prop, perhaps borrow somebody else's just to try it out. Do you know what the diameter, pitch, and cup on the prop is? Stainless props were cool in the 90's but these days it's all CNC props or nothing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 4:32pm
So you say after repacking the rudder it was good for a while but stiffness returns??? Dumb question, but are you using marine grease and does regreasing at the zerk provide any relief?

As for the rudder trim tab, take Joel's advise and set to neutral... mine is also only set to about 1/8 or 1/16 off center and works well.

Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 4:49pm
I don't know the specs on that stainless prop. I'll see if we can borrow a friends prop soon. My boat has a 1:1 transmission or I'd try my CNC prop.

We've tried about every grease imaginable and yes the stiffness returns in a matter of weeks. The best grease I've ever used was some stuff I have in a small (and very expensive) tub and that lasted a month or two. I've never seen this stuff in a tube though. The grease fitting in the above picture did nothing because we couldn't get grease in it when everything was tightened down.

I added an additional grease fitting near the top, pulled the spring ball out of the lower one, and allowed tiny gaps in the packing to let grease pass through from the top to the bottom. Time will tell if that helps but the goal was to try and get some grease in there from time to time without having to drop the rudder.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 5:03pm
Should the zerk be ON the packing nut???
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 5:14pm
1:1 in a 2000?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 5:15pm
no
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 5:33pm
Im with Orlando 76 and Hollywood. The zerk fitting should be on the Bronze base not the nut. the Gease is going on top of the packing not underneath into the shaft. Just my thought!
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 5:51pm
1:1 tranny is in my boat...the 2000 SN (friends boat) uses something else (1:1.23 I believe) and therefore the prop is a completely different. Sorry for the confusion.

From my experience, the zerk fitting is usually in the base because there is an o-ring below the zerk fitting and therefore you're lubing the bearings in the rudder port. Are these rudders meant to make contact with the rudder in the entire bore or just at the packing? I would think if full rudder contact was meant, surely there would be some substantial galling or wear on the rudder or the rudder port. Right?
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:21pm
well... my 99 doesn't have a zerk either but the 83 MC has one right on the bronze about an inch up from the bottom plate... that is where I'd put one.

I bet that helps your steering

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:23pm

So I pulled the rudder and shaft yesterday to measure the two. The rudder measures between 1.244" - 1.246" on the entire length and the shaft measures 1.250 at the top and bottom.

Sounds good with the OD's and ID's but what about straightness of the rudder shaft? Does it get any tighter the farther into the port you go?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 8:07pm
Maybe we'll add another zerk fitting at the bottom if the top one won't push grease down far enough next time the steering gets a little stiff.

I didn't think to check for straightness but the rudder slid in smoothly until it hit the packing and then just a slight nudge more and it was in. Considering the close tolerance between the 2 parts, I would think it's pretty straight.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 8:19pm
Sure it's not a helm problem?
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sure it's not a helm problem?

The wheel is superlight when the cable isn't connected to the rudder. It doesn't feel like it would freewheel if you give it a flick but like there is nothing there.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 8:38pm

Considering the close tolerance between the 2 parts, I would think it's pretty straight.

John,
.004 to .006 isn't close.

Yes, as Kevin asked, are you sure it's the rudder and port?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic