NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb replacement
    Posted: April-08-2015 at 9:51am
My current carb (Holley 4160) is without a choke, I guess it was removed at some point by a previous owner. As the boat can take a bit to get started in the cold I decided to look out for a replacement.
I seem to have a bagged a good'n off eBay, well I only paid £50 and it appears to have been looked after. However its a different list number, can anyone tell me whether this is compatible with my PCM 351W and what the differences are between the 2 carbs?

Current Holley:
E6JL-9510-JB
LIST 50419-1

Replacement one:
E8JL-9510-CA
LIST 50463

PS its good to be back!
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 9:58am

'82 Ski Tique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 10:26am
I don't think their open yet Graham, but I'll give Holley a call for you when they are
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 10:48am
Gary that would be a massive help, thanks
'82 Ski Tique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 10:51am
Someone else already did the legwork, got this from a quick Google search:

http://www.shamrockboatownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?24909-Holly-rebuild/page2

50463: 4160, 600 CFM, Ford 351, obsolete, renew kit - 703-29 (the "5" at the beginning means it is an OEM Ford calibration)

50419: 4160, 600 CFM, Ford 351, obsolete, renew kit - 703-29

I believe these have been superseded by the 80319-1, which is what I'm running on my 94 351w.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 10:59am
Thanks, so if both are the same CFM and designed for the ford 351 Im guessing the 50463 is just a newer version hence the higher list number?
'82 Ski Tique
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 11:54am
Graham, if it helps, I'm running the 50463 (same as your replacement carb) and it runs great! Can't help you on the differences though. Do you know if the replacement has been rebuilt or when?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 12:06pm
Just got off the line from Holley,seems that their records are not as good as they were back a few years. By the list number they used to be able to tell you exactly what engine they were off of,but no more. Pretty much what Brian found, Ford 4160 600 cfm 2.5 power valve,703-29 renew kit. The 50419-1 had 66 primary jetting,the 50463 had 65 primaries,and a 2.5 power valve,same renew kit
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:36pm
Ah great, the news I wanted to hear thanks. I wont bother trying to transfer the choke assembly from my old carb, will just order a rebuild kit for the new one.
This looks to do the job
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131457148047?nav=SEARCH

Gary, big thanks for making the call to Holley!! :)

Oh, Im guessing the difference between 66 and 65 primaries is minimal?
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 3:36pm
When i had my carb rebuilt over the winter, this is one of the things the guy told me:

"If your carb was manufactured prior to 1991, a Holley power valve update should be done." Not knowing much about carbs, yours may have already been updated???

Probably makes no difference, but your electric choke is about 180 deg different to mine. Also sorry to see the rebuilt kits are more expensive over there it's almost double the cost of what i paid.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 6:14pm
One would hope the updated power valve is included in the 703-29 renew kit?
'82 Ski Tique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 6:20pm
Graham, I believe the power valve update he's referring to is the check valve that prevents a backfire from rupturing the diaphragm. It's stock on all the later carbs. It's a simple mod to the baseplate. The actual power valves are the same.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/power_valves/parts/125-500

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 6:27pm
that could be it. I didn't really question the guy much as he has a great reputation rebuilding carbs. the total cost for this upgrade was only $25, so $15 for the part and $10 for labor sounds about right. i can contact him to get exact details on it if you would like. I can confirm he does good work. engine runs sooo much better this year so far.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 6:30pm
I see, thanks
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 6:31pm
i just FB him and he confirmed that check valve is what was done.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 7:11pm
Ok thanks shall look at doing the same to mine
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 7:15pm
Anyone know off the top of their head what colour the wires are that connect to the stat on the choke? Need to find out where the PO cut these off
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 7:41pm
Ill take a picture of mine in a few hours when i get home, but ground is black and positive is red. both wires came out of the wire group right at the choke and the only wires in that location, so that was a no brainer for me. plus since the choke has opposing connections (one male and one female), that was also a no brainer since my ends were still there.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 7:45pm
Im guessing I'll need to hook up to the main loom, if it just needs a feed to switched live and earth should be easy
'82 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 8:28pm
Graham,
The choke is energized with the ignition feed before the ballast resistor if used.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Graham,
The choke is energized with the ignition feed before the ballast resistor if used.

Thanks, Ive now located the reduntant feed wire. Will I get away with connecting the earth cable to the alternator earth terminal? Seems obvious to me but thought best to check!
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Graham,

Thanks, Ive now located the reduntant feed wire. Will I get away with connecting the earth cable to the alternator earth terminal? Seems obvious to me but thought best to check!

Can anyone advise regarding the choke neutral?

Ive now reconditioned the carb, given it a good clean down and fitted the holley trick kit.
Another question about the choke, the cap was originally on upside down Ive now fitted it right way up and adjusted so the choke plate is fully shut. Im guessing this opens up once its energised by the battery (and not cold) - does that sound correct?
I appreciate it may need tweeking if the engine runs rough

Thanks
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 8:06pm
Graham, I've actually wondered the proper method as well. I noticed there was a lot of play between having the choke fully closed to when it starts to open. The diagram below is what I am trying to figure out. I think i figured out the answer, but I'm sure I'll get schooled by a smart person here.

top left: initial install. the loop of the choke metal slips over the pin.
top right: rotating the choke counterclockwise closes the choke plate with the pin on the "coil" side of the choke. if you over turn (continuing ccw) to the bottom left, there is a bit of give before the plate starts to open again when you turn back cw. (*I think this is where im off)

bottom left: pin placement when turning cw to start to open the choke plate
bottom right: pin location when the choke has been heated and the coil expands.

After writing this, I think i see the error of my ways. Since the choke plate naturally wants to be OPEN, the pin will always ride on the "coil" side of the choke. So in that case, turning it ccw until slightly closed (or i've seen a #2 pencil width) should do it (top left to top right). Then as the metal expands, the choke pin and plate will naturally return to it's open state.

In other words, the expansion of the metal doesn't "pull" the pin back, it just resists the pin from returning to it's neutral state. with the metal fully expanded, the pin will have no pressure pushing back on it (if anything, it might "hold" it in the open state)

oh, and of course, this should be set with the choke COLD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 9:54pm
I think my latter assessment is correct. I reinstalled my choke cap with the pin in the loop. Turned ccw until the choke plate was lightly closed. Turned the key to energize the coil. As the coil heated, the plate slowly opened (about 1.5 minutes from closed to fully open)
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 4:00am
Fantastic, this has answered my question - thanks.
The 90secs taken to open the choke plate, presumably this is with the engine running? What would you say was approx ambient temperature?
Also could you let me know what the earth terminal is grounded to?
Thanks again
'82 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 7:34am
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Also could you let me know what the earth terminal is grounded to?

The ground is needed to complete the circuit for the bimetallic spring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 8:25am
I understand but what is the choke grounded to? Directly to the block? Was thinking of connecting it to the earth terminal on the alternator..
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 9:29am
In one YouTube vid I watched, the guy just used a jumper from the terminal to the closest cap retaining screw. My ground pops out from a grouping of wires, so not sure exactly the termination of the other end. Ground is ground, so any place should work. I'd probably do the jumper method for simplicity's sake.

And the engine does not need to be running, just turn the key "on". My ambient temp was probably in the low to mid sixties (F) or 17 c
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 9:54am
I see, thanks thats interesting. So the choke works by the live electrical feed heating up the spring which in time opens the choke plate. I always thought it was linked to ambient temperature ie would remain closed for longer in the winter time. But it sounds like its effectively a time delay mechanism. Does it operate this way every time the engine is started, so even if it is up to temperature the choke is initially closed for a period of time after switching ignition off and back on again? If that makes sense?
'82 Ski Tique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 10:18am
Yes it mostly works that way, except being attached to the carb that is attached to the engine it doesn't cool down as quickly when the engine is hot, nor does it heat up as quickly when the engine is really cold.   But yes the electric choke is a cheap solution that works mostly but is not an ideal solution.

Also a small jumper wire with a ring to go around one of the carb mounting studs will serve just fine for the ground wire.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic