NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New '93 For the M3Fan family

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Let it roll... Good winter upgrade in a year or 2. Leave the tach be, in case it's related!

Good, I just cut the check for the tax on the boat. I'll need time to recover from that.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:07am
That thing looks like you just bought it brand new. Congrats, gorgeous boat!

How do you decide which boat when you walk down to the dock?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:13am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

How do you decide which boat when you walk down to the dock?

David,
Joel just mentioned having to get over writing the check for the tax. Now he needs to think about the expansion to his dock as well as another lift!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:33am
I'd let it roll too but pick up a distributor to have on hand ASAP. Nothing drives me crazy like sitting on a dock staring at a broken boat and calm water.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:47am
Congrats Joel and I was thinking along the same lines as HW. On my 93' the Protech started failing in 03' with only about 200 hrs on it and IMO it ran better with the replacement distributor then from Day 1 with the Protech.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:48am
Then again, that's the BEST reason to have boat #2 sitting there ready to go ......
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:50am
Boat #2 is hundreds of miles away in the home garage. The 93 will be the only ski boat at the cabin.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'd let it roll too but pick up a distributor to have on hand ASAP. Nothing drives me crazy like sitting on a dock staring at a broken boat and calm water.

Agreed. It's a short season and time up north is limited and treasured.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:08pm
I'd wait for the Protec swap as well. Mine was leaking at the coil packs and had almost 1700 hours on her and she never left me stranded or gave me trouble. I only swapped it out because it was only a matter of time before she would give out in her current condition.

I'm surprised it made it as long as it did.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:30pm

Boat #2 is hundreds of miles away in the home garage. The 93 will be the only ski boat at the cabin.

Oh. Didn't know the geography challenge.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 2:00pm

Oh. Didn't know the geography challenge.

Right. For multiple boats arbitrarily at one location see also: The Benjamin Family
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 7:24pm
JP,
Aren't you contradicting yourself?
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I'd wait for the Protec swap as well. I only swapped it out because it was only a matter of time before she would give out I'm surprised it made it as long as it did.

Get the parts. You never know when it will go!
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

On my 93' the Protech started failing in 03' with only about 200 hrs on it

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 9:34pm
I don't believe I am Pete. My system had over 1700 hours on it and was leaking insulator fluid from the coil packs. I ran it like that with no issues for 2 years (since we got the boat). It was still working when we swapped it out.

I'm basing my comment on the fact they he said he was sorta short on cash at the moment and someone also mentioned the boating season is short where he lives.

He's not having any issues presently and didn't mention anything about leaking coil packs or signs the system wasn't working properly.

I'm sure he understands that a new ignition system is next on his list. If it fails before the end of the season, he should be able to swap it out in a day once he gets the necessary parts. Shouldn't take more than a week from the moment he orders everything depending on which system he chooses.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I don't believe I am Pete.

JP,
I believe I read your comment differently than you intended and the reason for my comment. On one hand you said wait for the failure and then on the other you said it could go at any time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:44am
Quick update on this bad boy.

I've gone hog wild on parts and work for the boat and trailer. Another vehicle, another thing to order sh**t for and tinker with which is pretty much a dream come true for me.

Not one week into ownership and I've done races/bearings/seals/caps on both axles and I have a nice box of parts from SkiDim. Impeller, belts, plugs, rare fuel filter, ign breaker (this one sticks), new trailer tail lights. I have leaf springs and U-bolts on their way from etrailer.

Put the impeller in last night and took some time to really clean up the pump housing, particularly the mating surface between the steel housing and the impeller plate. In between those is technically a paper gasket which at this time was basically part of the corroded steel side. I doubt that sealed much in that state. Cleaned that all up with some Roloc action on the die grinder (which are also very effective at abrading human skin BTW) and replaced the paper gasket.

Boat and boat trailer stuff is such a breath of fresh air after wrenching on the fairly complex M3Fan car fleet so much. Everything is accesible, clean, and generally simple. Instant gratification!

I also ordered all of the little rear side stickers from Marty as well as the PEF plate, side Ski Nautique logo decals are next. She'll get a buff on the main stripe (rear 1/4 is slightly faded) and the stickers will all go back on brand new.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:47am
Pics or it didn't happen! I'm just sayin...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:49am
Yeah, I was in my flow state the whole time so no pics. A solid cruise control of productivity. Typically with the car stuff I have some pull-my-hair-out, "never again" moments that I can use for taking pics, not so much here.

I just pulled the trigger on new side decals and pinstripe, another 280 clams! This thing is getting the spa treatment.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 12:27pm
When are you adding the Ski-Tastic tower to the boat?

Sounds like awesome progress! Curious on the leaf springs, is one broken or are you just changing them out? Not something I normally think about if not broken.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 12:33pm

Sounds like awesome progress! Curious on the leaf springs, is one broken or are you just changing them out? Not something I normally think about if not broken.

It's preventative maintenance. Not something I want to deal with on the side of the road and the trailer is already maxed out with this load, and has been for 22 years.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 1:32pm
Congrats Joel! Very nice find
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 2:11pm
Will we get to see it at GL?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Will we get to see it at GL?

Unlikely. Our lake is a once in, once out affair as far as launching goes since it's a private lake. I'd love to bring it but if we end up at GL we will have the 2000 rig which we have for local ramp boating.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

For multiple boats arbitrarily at one location see also: The Benjamin Family

I am still laughing at this and just came across this appropriate picture. Anybody that's been to a CT Mini knows how silly this looks.

How I cam across this picture is that I was looking to see when M3Fan got the cabin up north and then the MC. He seems to be on the "new every 2" year plan for a boat up there. Does it end here? We'll have to wait and find out!

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:09pm
OK, tackled the oddball white PCM fuel filter. This filter is like 47.00 from SkiDim and I think the design is basically total s**t.

You basically have a mounting/top piece with the in/out fittings, a center "filter" piece that looks very much like an oil filter without the bypass valve (that's the 47.00 part that is replaceable) and you have a bottom "bowl piece" (heh heh heh) which is also re-usable. Literally a 3 piece stacked unit where the mounting point is the top of the 3 pieces. You have two types of o-rings in between, too. The top o-ring is squared off, much like an oil filter ring. The bottom piece has a standard round-profile o-ring. Each mating surface, both with the top and bottom piece, are painted. 22 years later that painting idea is not looking to be so great.

My recommendation? Just replace the entire unit with a modern, cheaper, and better designed unit.

Here's what we are starting with:

Right into the vice to unscrew the top and bottom:

One of my favorite tools, giant channellocks (AKA FCC Dominators), come in handy once again. Note paint chipped off on upper sealing surface sitting on upper O-ring

Top and bottom, middle section in plastic bin

Problem #1, thick paint totally flaking off upper mating surface, gotta clean that up

Problem #2, thick paint in the lower o-ring seat. Hoping this lasts another 22 years because I don't want to F with it now.

Upper surface nice and cleaned up:

All back together. We'll revisit in 2037.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 10:59am
Here's a look at all the side hull stickers, a mix of NOS that I had from our 2000 and repros from Marty. Also notice the PEF plaque. I'm not fooling around.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:06pm
Nice addition to the family joel!

2 recommendations...first year I owned the boat I ripped off that stupid PCM filter setup and put a MerCruiser setup on mine. Main reason for is I can go to Napa or any marina and get a water/fuel filter. It came in super handy last summer when I got a bad fill of gas and it took several tanks and 2 filters to clear up the problem.

I put a DUI on the boat several years ago. Nice addition. My old ProTec worked fine. I think it starts a bit better and has a slightly better idle now, but no real performance differences. Not sure it was worth the money but I did it for the same reason you would.....don't need a down boat on vacation. Not a matter of IF but WHEN it will happen.

I have all my old ProTec stuff if you want it. If you opt not to do a dizzy now, it may be good to have the coil packs in the cabin up north. If you want them let me know. I will see Alan next weekend and he can at least get them to his place. Let me know but it is yours if you want it.

It is cool that you are doing the decals. Some guys like them and some don't. Personally I had them ripped off after 4 hours of owning the boat including the pastel skiers on the transom. but it is cool to keep it original! Didn't know you could still get them.

shoot me a text (I think you still have my number) or reply to this if you want the protec stuff.

Great purchase though! Wish I had the money for your old MC! I love that boat!!!!!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I have all my old ProTec stuff if you want it. If you opt not to do a dizzy now, it may be good to have the coil packs in the cabin up north. If you want them let me know. I will see Alan next weekend and he can at least get them to his place. Let me know but it is yours if you want it.

I want it. Once I get the DUI on there I will pass it on to the next ProTec owner. It can be a traveling insurance kit for the conversion stragglers and be passed on as they convert over!

The pastel stickers will not be coming back on this rig, that's for sure. That's one set of decals I just can't handle no matter how original!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 9:22pm
More parts came today, it was like Christmas. I love ordering stuff for vehicles, it's one of my favorite things.

Old side decal damage, both sides are like this. In all my years of owning ski boats (13 years) I've never scratched them like this. Easy fix, at least.

New pinstripe and side decals from NautiqueParts:

New leaf spring and U-bolt set

Nicely serviced hub complete with new dust cap

I have to get to refinishing this when it warms up a bit here

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 12:52pm
Joel,

HW can polish that Knob right up for you or so I have heard.     

Donald
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:24pm
You are thinking of Randy_In_Ohio.

My knob is faded and crusty so I bought one of those cool medallion ones from BJ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic