Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

loud SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
antique boater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: loud SN
    Posted: February-27-2015 at 3:31pm
My '96 Sport Nautique is quite loud. This is obviously not a problem when skiing but for cursing around it's pretty annoying. It's okay when idling but anything beyond that prevent a conversation in the boat. I have replaced the "muffler" and installed soundproofing around the muffler which helped a lot but not enough. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any ideas how to reduce the noise?
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 3:37pm
Search "fresh air exhaust" it's a tip that goes underwater. I believe it quiets down the noise at idle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 3:45pm
thanks for the quick response. i'll do a search to see what i can find.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by antique boater antique boater wrote:

My '96 Sport Nautique is quite loud. This is obviously not a problem when skiing but for cursing around it's pretty annoying.

Maybe your boat has Tourette's. Seriously though is this boat new to you? Sure they are louder than an I/O but even my Super Sport with the motor in the back and with therefore short exhaust hoses is not loud. I guess it's all what your used to.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 4:28pm
"Toertel" installed fresh air exhaust this year and posted about it, you might pm him for details.

That being said, conversation is highly overrated. LPSL.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 4:33pm
PS: As your name is Antique Boater, what else do you have? If it's antique it's likely an inboard and therefore much louder than the modern boat you speak of, correct?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 4:41pm
Dennis,
I too am curious about how long you have had the SN and what was it purchased for. Typically a SN isn't made for cruising since it was designed as a ski boat.

Welcome to CCfan. Tell us more and post some pictures. Are you the "antique" or do you have a boat classified as one?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:09pm
Gary: no, it's not new to me. i've had it for two years and before that an '84 ski nautique that i had for 20 years. and the sport nautique is twice as loud as the ski nautique.
74Wind: it's me that is antique, not my boat.
8122pbrainard: thanks for the welcome! great to be here! as i said above, i've had the boat for a couple of years. i bought it so my wife and i could do some occasional slalom skiing but mostly for recreational use (as in cruising around drinking beer). i used to do a lot of competitive barefoot waterskiing but my shoulders won't take it anymore. so i really didn't need a power boat but there was no way i was going to buy an i/o or outboard so i went for the sport nautique because it had the open bow. i haven't figured out how to post photo yet. when i do i'll post some. thanks again to everyone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by antique boater antique boater wrote:

i haven't figured out how to post photo yet. when i do i'll post some.

It's real easy. Use the "post reply" and not the "quick". Click on the tree icon with the up arrow. The box that comes up allows you to browse your computer.

BTW, we've got plenty of antiques here to keep you company!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:27pm
I've heard a Sport Nautique of that vintage with what I would assume was the stock exhaust/muffler. It was in no way louder than a mid-80's dual exhaust SN. Wondering if your muffler has been modified/removed or maybe a blown baffle.

Does it look like this?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:32pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:33pm
Should be a hull hugger in a 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:37pm
C-Bass: no. it looks like this and i replaced it right after i bought the boat. it helped a lot but not enough. the sound is mostly coming from the transom so i would think it's the exhaust that i'm hearing. and maybe vibration of the swim platform caused by the exhaust.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:38pm
that's correct. it's a hull hugger.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:40pm
Our 96 platform would vibrate as well. Didn't seem like it was enough to write home about but maybe you have something else going on back there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:43pm
maybe my hearing is just getting much better!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:44pm
Yeah he's got something else going on. There are several people (me included) who purposely eliminate the hull hugger altogether because it is so quiet you don't get any sort of engine noise, mostly just transmission whine. I'll admit that with a straight exhaust, our Sport is a little louder than I would like, but I like it much better than with a properly functioning hull hugger.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:45pm
Nice looking Sport by the way!
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:51pm
"Nice looking Sport by the way!"

Thanks!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 5:56pm
Very nice. And red!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 6:17pm
Too loud? Too quite? Ears too old? Ears too young? I think it's time to get some viable data and really get down to facts. We need tests so get one of these out and start checking!

BTW, all tests need to be done on the A scale and we'll set a distance of say 6' from the transom. The 6' will allow owners of VD's to still stay in the boat. At different RPM's would be great as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 6:23pm
You guys are slacking.....

"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!"

Seriously though, nice fleet of boats you have there and welcome to CCFan!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 6:32pm
i'll see if i can find one and start the testing!
In the meantime, hope everyone has a great weekend. and enjoy the water!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 6:44pm
Yep that is a good looking Sport. Oh and the Sport should be able to be used for skiing AND cruising. I have a 98, the next evolution of the sport (although the hull is the same), it makes a good barefoot platform too.

Here is the quick link to the Fresh Air Exhaust, Most of the wave boats at the factory had these on them when I toured last summer, not sure if they are standard equipment now or not.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

You guys are slacking.....

"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!"

Seriously though, nice fleet of boats you have there and welcome to CCFan!

Uhhh Tim, you are 17 posts too late, as I previously posted the established acronym LPSL there...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 7:02pm
[QUOTE=skutsch] Yep that is a good looking Sport. Oh and the Sport should be able to be used for skiing AND cruising. I have a 98, the next evolution of the sport (although the hull is the same), it makes a good barefoot platform too.

Love the color scheme on your SN skutsch. I checked out the fresh air exhaust systems at Hollywood's recommendation. Looks like it might just be a good solution. Haven't done any footing' behind the SN. My wife's not too excited about me trying either!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 8:33pm
I have the FAE. I took it off for a while so I could hear the exhaust note but the kids asked me to put it back on (due to fumes). With it on, the water spray noise is more than engine noise. You lose about 2 mph from top end.

BTW, Pete I have that sound meter too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 9:25pm
Interesting, that the FAE gets it so quiet that you hear more water spray then anything (probably similar to what the Electric SN sounds like). Seems like in my SPN, the air intake is as loud as the exhaust. I would suspect you would still here that. My SPN is a GT40, I never would have noticed it until someone pointed out how much noise the air intake makes on a Fuel Injected Snowmobile... Way more noise then the exhaust, will that and the track spinning.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 9:33pm
Sharp looking boat. Go Team Red!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 9:58pm
thanks again everyone. I'll try to get a sound meter and post the results.
cheers!
and yes, go team red!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic