NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best place to buy CPES?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best place to buy CPES?
    Posted: January-13-2015 at 1:04pm
Hey All,
Where is the best place to buy CPES??
Thanks
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 3:09pm
Have you considered making it yourself? 75% Epoxy resin + 25% Xylol. It has worked well for me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 3:51pm
I've bought it from rot doctor in the past. I think it's expensive no matter where you buy it from. Next time I re do my seats I'm going to debate not using cpes again due to the simplicity of the seat reconstruction vs expense of cpes. Idk, we'll see how long it lasts this go around. On floors and stringers, no doubt I'll bite the bullet and use cpes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 4:21pm
Making it yourself by thinning down regular resin is certainly an option but there is one major difference with the rot dr's product. It is made from wood fiber instead of an oil. That is supposed to make it more compatible with the wood. Whether this makes a difference with our using it for a water proofing is up in the air.

If you do buy the dr's, Jamestown distributors is where I get mine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I've bought it from rot doctor in the past. I think it's expensive no matter where you buy it from. On floors and stringers, no doubt I'll bite the bullet and use cpes.

+1
I can't say as I'm an expert but when I redid my floors, I used Rot Doc's CPES and epoxy resin. I've seen all the posts about mixing it up yourself, but with any epoxy, you have to consider the ambient temps and weather conditions before mixing. I didn't want to have to deal with that with my first time working with epoxy. Rot Doc's CPES and epoxy resin was very easy to work with and easier to mix. I can't complain with the results to date either. 15 years and my floors are as solid as the day I finished them. It was expensive but I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 10:37pm
Rot Doc it is!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 5:47pm
I use the product manufactured by Smith and Company out of Richmond CA. They actually own the trademark to the term Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, and therefore that is what the product is called.

It's available at Jamestown and others, but luckily for me, my brother also carries it at the Paint Store he manages.

Simple to mix and seems to work well.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 6:09pm
So I guess that the Rot Doctor sells Smiths CPES, but there is not a Rot Doctor CPES?
Rot Doc
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2015 at 1:58pm
When I did my outboard I got my Epoxy from Aeromarine you can get a 6 gallon kit for $340.00 4 gals of resin 2 gals.hardener. They list on ebay
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2015 at 6:11pm
Us composites is cheaper and proven. When they sell a 5 gallon kit, you get 5 gallons of resin plus hardener.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2015 at 8:51am
Why do I not see CPES at US Composites?
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2015 at 10:25am

Why do I not see CPES at US Composites?

I was going to ask the same thing. I probably need to put them on my "call list".
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2015 at 10:40am
To my knowledge, they don't sell CPES. My comparison was vs. epoxy cost from Aeromarine that was mentioned.

Personally, I can't see paying 2-3x the cost of epoxy for someone to dilute it with (much less expensive) solvent. I don't have long term results to point to (yet!) but regular epoxy resin thinned with a bit of xylene wicks into wood very well- and I bet holds up just as well. The goal is to get the epoxy penetrating deeper into the wood to plasticize it, after all. If you're looking for the best solution available- cost be damned- then skip the wood altogether and go composite. Spending lots of extra $ trying to turn a budget material into something it's not just seems counterintuitive... Wood hulls notwithstanding, of course. Just MHO.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2015 at 11:23am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you're looking for the best solution available- cost be damned- then skip the wood altogether and go composite. Spending lots of extra $ trying to turn a budget material into something it's not just seems counterintuitive... Wood hulls notwithstanding, of course. Just MHO.

In hind sight, that's how I feel. I spent way too much $ trying to bullet proof wood in something as simple as my 70's model seats. I was really impressed with the rot dr cpes and how it plasticized the wood. Screw retention in composites is a concern of mine, I need to study up on it better.

As a side note I have a lil bit of wood and epoxy and cpes left over that'll prob go bad before I get to use it again so I'm gonna make a few samples of wood vs cpes wood vs epoxy wood and throw it on the ground on the side of my house that never seen light and is always wet. We're talking extreme brutal conditions tgat will test anything. I'll post results in a year lol.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2015 at 11:45am

As a side note I have a lil bit of wood and epoxy and cpes left over that'll prob go bad before I get to use it again

I always have a stock of CPES. There are times when it isn't used for more than 4 years and it's still good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic