Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ongaro Tach wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boatman77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatman77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ongaro Tach wiring
    Posted: November-11-2014 at 2:59pm
I am putting together my Mustang and thought I would remember the wiring for the Ongaro Tach. Well I do not.
There are 4 wires Yellow,Red, Blue, and White that exit the tach. The lighting looks like it is supplied by a separate fixture at the top of the tach.
Tried Google without any results.
Thanks, Curt
2003 196 sold

1969 Mustang "under reconstruction"
1976 20'Shamrock CC

1989 26' Shamrock Hardtrop
1989 Brendella Short Line Comp sold
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 3:20pm
Curt,
The 4 wires are for different cylinder engines. IE: 4,6 or 8 cylinder. The fourth wire should be a common. Most likely a ground and the white wire. I don't know which is which for the other 3. Connect them up one at a time and see which one seem to be the correct RPM for the given number of cylinders.

Are you sure it's a Ongaro? I've never heard of it! Maybe someone swapped it out at one time? Typically CC would have used a Teleflex.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 3:48pm
Nope Pete, all of the Middle to late 60s were rockin the Ongaro tachs and gauges.

Tach in the SL was that as well as the mustang dash I bought off of ebay. Also, the tach had been replaced in the Mustang I got from Tim with an early 70s teleflex tach but it sports the same gauges in all of the other Ongaro boats.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 5:01pm
What do they look like Zach, I don't think I have ever seen them.I remember mine being Teleflex and I was able to get some Teleflex's that are very close, and found exact nos tach and speedo.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 5:11pm
They might have been the lesser option gauges Gary, Maybe teleflex was the upgrade?

Anywho, Marty has my 6 cylinder tach and the other one is god knows where in dad's barn. Marty, show a pic of that tach.

Edit: See if this picture is good enough
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 5:17pm
The call out panel was missing off that tach but it's supposed to say Ongaro.

The mustang dash from ebay had the exact same tach and the gauges in the 68 stang vs the 68 skylark are identical other than the gauges in the mustang having orange needles and the skylark having white. I found some NOS orange needle gauges which will be going in the skylark as well as the mustang (if that ever hits the water).
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 5:24pm
Yes, The Ongaro was common.   You will find the wiring diagram in:    Reference / Manuals / 1968 Interceptor Engine Owners Manual.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 5:26pm
I just googled Orgaro. Interesting that it's actually the name of an instrument designer who worked for Teleflex at one time. He did have his own line of gauges and most went into small diesel auxiliaries and Atomic 4 applications (sail). The panels evidently also made it into some CC's. Remember CC would put amost anything in their boats they could get their hands on! It's also interesting I found a couple pictures of the same panel that Zach posted but they had Teleflex tachs in them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 5:28pm
Cool info Pete! Always interesting to figure out they just used what was lying around down there (Still do these days to an extent).

I think the Tele is cooler but the gauges in the dash look more correct with the Ongaro tach since the bezel and such match.

Coolest gauges I've ever seen were a set that looked almost identical but full sweep gauges to the factory stuff. They were Chrysler Marine specific and probably not from a CC but I would sure as hell have dropped them into a Mopar powered rig. They would be in Mars garage right now but he was on the baby/new house budget haha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 7:25pm
Curt,
Al is correct that the wiring diagram is in the Interceptor manual. I took a look at it and found that I was wrong about the use of the different wires for different number of cylinders. (some tachs do use the multi wire connection) Your tach as well as the other instruments utilizes a voltage regulator. It was common in the early days of electric gauges. My 64 X with the Stewart Warner gauges uses one as well. The regulator smooths out the voltage so the gauges are more accurate at different system voltages. Hopefully you still have the regulator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boatman77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatman77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 7:58pm
Pete,
I have the diagram, I tried to upload it but could not.
I assume:
White goes to ground( bracket on voltage regulator)?
Red ignition
Yellow. Trigger for tach ( neg on coil is what I thought)?
Blue Not sure, I see two lamps in series and if White is ground they would always be lit. I am missing something here.

Yes I do have a regulator but was no planing on using it.
2003 196 sold

1969 Mustang "under reconstruction"
1976 20'Shamrock CC

1989 26' Shamrock Hardtrop
1989 Brendella Short Line Comp sold
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 8:30pm
Curt,
I know the wiring diagram isn't the easiest to read. Do follow it and do use the voltage regulator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 10:59am
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 12:03pm
Sweet Marty!

Pete, I remember all of the Ongaro tachs have written on the housing what they were calibrated for. IE 4-6-8.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 3:53pm
For some reason I thought you guys were saying all the gauges were Ongaro the others look to be SW? Those tach's I have seen.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 3:55pm
Those gauges weren't labeled at all right Gary? I just assumed Ongaro made it on them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 4:01pm
I sent zach the picture, but I have a tach the same as Marty's above... But with a teleflex label.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

were Ongaro the others look to be SW?

Except for Marty's water temp gauge! Marty, you had better go looking for a SW. Go original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 4:18pm
Marty, did you get the cooling system sorted?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

were Ongaro the others look to be SW?

Except for Marty's water temp gauge! Marty, you had better go looking for a SW. Go original!

Pete-- gauges were like that when we got the boat in 1970. We don't know if the factory just threw those in there because that was all they had - or if the previous owner changed any of them. Yes all 3 are different.. But they all work!
Pete-- Don't know if you know the Story on the Skylark- But at the 2010 SJRR Mini- Ralph told me the Birth of my 66 Skylark.

He said it was going down the line as a Mustang. MWCC called them and said they needed a Skylark for the Chicago Boat Show in October 1965. They changed the orders on the Mustang before the helm was cut out to a Skylark. The boat was finished and sent to the Chicago Boat Show. There it was sold to a gentleman who also traded his 1953 Chevy in on it.   The kicker-- The Hull ID # M 1672 is still on the Skylark.. They forgot to change it out ! Engine serial # matches on Bill Of Sale.

""Marty, did you get the cooling system sorted? ""

Zach- Yes the Ford 143'F stat worked out.. No other problems were found . Just my imagination like TimB said...

Pete- here's a Mock-Up of the Dash Panel going in when Allen ( HatterBee ) and I " re-wire " the Skylark..

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 10:50am
Marty, the back of those panels are a mess. I swapped out the gauges in our Mustang with Teleflex like you have there, keeping the original tach. The original gaugess had 2 poles and the new Tekeflex ones had 3. The 3rd is a ground, but some of them needed the ground to work and others wouldn't work with the ground connected, so I hooked them up accordingly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic