NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 / GT40P

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 / GT40P
    Posted: October-26-2014 at 4:35pm
I have researched the GT40 and GT40P heads here and on several Mustang forums. There seems to be a general consensus that both of these heads flow better than the original heads on a 60s-70s 302. What is missing is a direct comparison with data in stead of "it feels much faster" seat of the pants assessment. By disregarding the posts I feel make outrageous HP claims and going with some of the Mustang (car) forums most reasonable people seem to believe that they offer a 20-40hp improvement on an engine with no other modifications, felt principally in the 1500-3500 rpm range. What is the opinion here? Does anyone know where dyno pull data can verify the claims made?
I know there are a bunch of you out there running them including my favorite Mustang (the type with no wheels). I am also aware of some AFR heads that data shows substantial gains on a stock engine with no mods to the tune of around 90 HP on an 87 302 roller engine. I am also interested to know how comparable the straight plug geometry affects the exhaust fitment. It apparently works on my favorite Mustang.
Thanx.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 9:56pm
Got them on mine John,HM exhausts fit fine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 10:20pm
I know Gary. Yours was the Mustang I was referring to as my favorite. I don't remember if it was a tight fit or had plenty of room. I have been considering several options. I don't have a clear vision yet. I am up north right now and I am leaning toward bringing my spare H/M core and B/W Velve Drive home and sending it in for an overhaul and setting the one in the Mustang aside for now. If I do that I may go for a few non original things on the spare. Heads seem to provide the best ROI. The RR makes it impossible to upgrade to a roller cam. Just in the "what if" planning stage right now but I need to get moving.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 11:17pm
Not impossible, just $$.

P heads have been discussed ad nauseum here... Expect 40hp or so on a 351w. Add another 30-40 with the proper intake and cam to match. 302 numbers won't be quite as high... But a properly built p-headed 302 (cam and intake, 9.5-10cr) and you can approach 290hp or so. This is with the available RH flat tappets. Peak power usually ends up in the 5000-5200 range with a decent cam. Power is added everywhere, from holeshot on up.

Gt40's are more highly regarded in automotive circles as they don't require special headers. Plug angle of the p's are an advantage on our upswept marine manifolds. In addition to slightly better flow, p's also have smaller chambers so they give you about a point of CR over the regular gt40's. Google "ford head flow chart" and you'll see flow numbers of stock e7's, gt40's, p's and many aftermarket heads. That's a better apples to apples comparison than dyno results since so many other aspects of a build can affect hp. Remember that you're limited to .490 lift with flat tappet RH stuff (and that's with 1.7's) so decent flow at lower lift is key. Don't be fooled by big flow numbers in the .500-.700 range as you'll never utilize it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Plug angle of the p's are an advantage on our upswept marine manifolds.

I hope you read that part carefully cause too much time on some of them car websites can rot the brain. The spark plug location on the GT40p is an improvement over every stock ford head I have seen used in a marine application. They actually become easier to access...

I also second that they have been discussed here in the past quite extensively... likely more in depth than anything else you can find on the web.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 12:13am
Thank you Tim. I googled correct craft fans Gt40>40P and read everything that came up. I may be willing to give up the stock manifold on the "spare" but I believe I am am staying with the original flat tappet cam. It concerns me that it raises the CR 1 point since it is 10.5:1 right now. I want to be able to use the 91 marine gas available on my chain. I saw that there is a source out there that some recommended. I would have to rebuild the stock heads anyway so it seems like it would be pretty economical. Do you have any more suggestions. I know some purists may not like it but I can set aside the old heads from this one and store the original engine.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 12:27am
Pete will clarify but I don't believe even the ACBS frowns upon head changes. I know that internal engine changes are ok without a point deduction.

Early (pre 73) H-M is the exception when it comes to sbf marine longblocks. All others had mid 8 cr's and p's bring them to mid 9's. I am not certain how HM got to 10.5:1 (pistons vs chambers) but if anyone knows off the top of their head it would be Reid or Gary. Mr Starr will have to remind us how much of the engine he rebuilt. 10.5:1 is as far as id push it on 91 or even 93.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:02am
I believe my shop guy said it has teeny chambers. Are you familiar with these?AFR 165cc non smog

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:43am
Don't forget guys mine is far from when it left Correct Craft. It started out as a 200hp 2v 9.3cr 289. Somewhere along the line the block was replaced with a 302. I used TriStates heads that have the same chamber size as the 70's heads they replaced. In my haste to get it running with the new heads I did not measure the cc's of the cylinder at tdc so I don't know what my cr ratio is. I am using flat top pistons with a .030 overbore. When I replaced my heads I used ARP cylinder studs and did run into minor clearance issues with the exhaust manifolds,but a minor touch up with a dremel solved that issue
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 2:39am
Gary, did the heads of the ARP bolts hit the manifolds? How much relief was required to make them fit?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 8:05am
By all accounts, AFR makes some nice heads. Better than the p's for sure but at nearly 4x the cost, they better be! Rhs and trickflow, as well as many others, make good heads too. I can't speak to best bang for the buck in terms of aftermarket, but the p's are going to be tough to beat when it comes to hp/$. If you go aftermarket aluminums, it's not a bad idea to buy them from a reputable shop that has gone through them and set them up properly.

Joe, did you work through Jay Allen with your Trick Flows?

An aluminum head will certainly be easier to spot if you're trying to keep the "look" somewhat stock- something to keep in mind.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 8:53am

Joe, did you work through Jay Allen with your Trick Flows?

total engine airflow

Did the original bowl work and assembly. They also welded them up after the digested a piece of.the number on piston. Quality and timely work.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 9:46am

Pete will clarify but I don't believe even the ACBS frowns upon head changes. I know that internal engine changes are ok without a point deduction.

Tim,
You are correct. As an example, many Chris marines have had a 350 block exchange.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:43am
John clearance issues were minor,depending on how the nut was clocked after it was torqued determined if clearancing was needed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 3:10pm
Thank you Tim, Gary, Pete and all who helped. I was losing my way a bit and you put me back on track. I talked to Tri State. $598.00. and they install the larger valves. I just need to determine my current chamber size now so I don't exceed what I view as the limit of 10.5:1 that it is now.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Thank you Tim, Gary, Pete and all who helped. I was losing my way a bit and you put me back on track. I talked to Tri State. $598.00. and they install the larger valves. I just need to determine my current chamber size now so I don't exceed what I view as the limit of 10.5:1 that it is now.

Be careful on the spring selection through- ask them if they are ok to use with a flat tappet cam and if there is anything special you should do during cam break in. You can always lower compression with your head gasket selection, although it can get more expensive to specify a fancy cometic gasket with a custom size. You may need to figure out which pistons you have and do the math rather than try and go backwards from what you think the last setup was rated at.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 4:11pm
Thanks Joe. Good points. He should understand that it is a flat tappet, I told him it was a 69. If I go with my spare core, which I am considering now, the pistons will have to be hammered out so I will have a fresh set up of known parts. If possible I will probably have the shop reuse the cam and lifters unless someone has a much better idea for the cam. I like the lopey idle. The core was originally a 210HP 2V H/M but was changed to a 4V using the correct manifold by casting # at some time. I have no idea if it used the same cam as the 235hp4V H/M that is in my Mustang now. Do you have a suggestion for a cam with good performance while retaining low end torque? "Decoy" looks fast to me. Although I love them, I am not looking to build one like your SN or Tim's barefoot.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 4:43pm
The current crop of available RH blanks are limited to .460 lift at the valve (with stock 1.6 rockers). This cam is about the only flat tappet RH I would consider changing to. Reid is probably the only person who might be able to tell you how that 2v HM cam spec'd out. I would guess it's kinda small, being for a 210hp 2bbl, but that's just a guess. 1.7 rockers might be a consideration instead if a cam swap is deemed unnecessary.

I would call tristate back and see what they say about the sprigs. Iirc, they are on the aggressive side ("up to .550 lift") and you will want to reiterate that you have a flat tappet- and are considering a new flat tappet so break in may be a concern. Wiped lobes are the worst!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 4:54pm
When you guys say 2v and 4v, what are you referring to? Just trying to follow.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 5:13pm
Sealed Power still sells the Marine grind cam for the 302, gives a lot of low end torque but has good idle quality. I put one in a friends 68 (4 wheel) Mustang with an automatic trans and tall gears and it ran really well all the way to 5,300 RPM or so. He is very happy with that selection. It is a copy of the grind Pleasure craft used for the 302. I believe they have it RH and LH rotation. I am sure you can get more cam but you may need a custom grind. Reverse rotation limits what is available.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 5:31pm
2bbl and 4bbl, Brian.

Mark, got a link to those cam specs? RH stuff is in low supply these days. Custom (flat tappet) grinds don't cost any more in my experience, but the current limitation is the blank they're working with. If someone has some older (wilder) stuff on the shelf somewhere, I'd love to know! The PCM stuff was in fact pretty tame... I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to one of those, especially from a HM. I'd need a measurable performance benefit to justify the upgrade- and I assume that's what John is looking for.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 5:34pm
Hi Bri892001. 2V and 4V refer to the carburetor venturis, commonly called "barrels". The 210hp H/M engine, iirc is a 450 cfm 2V, and the 235hp H/M used an Autolite 600cfm 4V. Just a wild guess but I think the 210 probably had more low end torque than the 235 4V, especially since the Autolite was mechanical and not a progressive linkage. It could dump all the vacuum at the flick of a wrist. I'm not an expert but the original 4V doesn't seem well suited to a ski boat to me.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 7:37pm
Got it, v for Venturi, not for Valve
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Just a wild guess but I think the 210 probably had more low end torque than the 235 4V, especially since the Autolite was mechanical and not a progressive linkage. It could dump all the vacuum at the flick of a wrist. I'm not an expert but the original 4V doesn't seem well suited to a ski boat to me.

John, I'm not at all familiar with the autolite carbs... But maybe you could explain why you think the 4v might have been a poor performer (at least out of the hole)?

The only boat I've ever seen where you need to be judicious about applying too much throttle out of the hole was Reid's warmed up Royal Flush... In 2bbl form.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 9:39pm
The Autolite C8AF-AE 4100 is a strange bird. From what I can tell it was installed only on the Shelby GT500 (428), 428 police interceptor, Holman Moody race cars, and possibly on a few 390 Tbirds. I have found little on its flow but I have read some think it was as high as 750CFM, which would seem about right for 428 displacement. Since it is installed on a 302 I am assuming ( just a guess here ) that it is more than adequate for a 302 and any benefit would be in the higher RPM range. The linkage opens all 4Vs in unison. It has been my experience that an over carbureted engine suffers somewhat at lower rpm since the vacuum drops almost instantaneously and the fuel/air velocity decreases causing less efficient flow and atomization. This effect is noticable when changing from a dual plane intake to a single plan. Do you agree or think I am way off base? Don't think you will offend me if you don't agree. I got a ride in your boat.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 11:13pm
That's the first time I've heard of a carb that opens all 4 barrels together. I wonder what the thought process was behind it? Maybe avoid the possible hesitation of secondary's that kick in later?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 12:01am
I follow your logic john... Seems like what you're describing is essentially a real big 2bbl!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 4:26am
Dave, my guess is it may be because the cars the C8AE-AF Autolite was installed on were generally either not sold to the general public ( Police Interceptor ) or they were not built by Ford (Shelby GT500 and Holman Moody 428) and little thought was given to anything but driving with the loud pedal down. At high rpm power settings I believe this configuration would offer better throttle response and it would be more linear. I'm a hack skier and all I like is a hard smooth pull out of the hole, not instant response at 3000rpm. Is there any use for that in a ski boat? I don't know, I'm just an over the hill hack skier. In the interest of safety I'm not going to use the Autolite, it's not a marine carb. I have a marine Holley 600 that's going on there.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 6:46am
The Sealed Power Part number for Reverse Rotation Marine Camshaft is CS-1057M uses firing order 18456273. It has .444/.452 lift and 115 lobe separation. Not a high performance cam but a good strong RV type grind. Pulls hard. Works good in boats. I checked on FMECAT.com and the part number is listed but it shows DISCONTINUED. Sorry for offering hope.
Clevite or Elgin may still offer a version of this cam. You could go to a local Cam Grinder and regrind your old cam to the specs you want. Reground Cams are actually a 100% fix if the right guy does the work and they can modify the grind for you if desired. usually less than $100 for this work.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 6:48am
If anyone is interested I saw a listing for GT40 heads used on Craigs List Sacramento. $200. for the set. Probably need a valve job after purchase but a good find for someone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic