NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hours Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hours Question
    Posted: October-15-2014 at 4:40pm
The tranny has a dirty neutral. I unhooked the linkage and there aren't any click positions. The transmission engages forward and reverse but starts to turn to the forward position when in between. Seems a little noisy too. Does the trans need to be reworked?
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:31pm

a few pics taken today
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:27pm
going with the same colors for the upholstery (red/white/black) thinking of charcoal for the carpet.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:23pm

OK...here are a few pics :)
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 3:58pm
Vince, We need pics...
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 3:43pm
Thanks! Electrical is all sorted out. Battery installed wrong. ;( Aligned the motor to the drive-shaft. Prop now turns easily. Engine runs great. Changing oil today.   I notice a couple gauges have a haze on the inside. Is it possible to dismantle them for cleaning?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

Is there a separate breaker / fuse for the ignition?

On mine there is... I think there is on an 89 as well. I'm not sure what year they changed over from fuses to push button breakers but I think before 89.

So, on mine:
-the dash hot feed comes from the engine breaker
-Goes to the input side of the dash ignition push button breaker
-The output side of the dash ignition push button breaker feeds:
*The input side of the key switch
*The input side of the horn switch
*The input side of the blower switch
*The input side of both bilge pump switches (auto and manual)
*Maybe the Nav slight switch?
*The input side of whatever accessory switches you have

vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 3:48pm
Is there a separate breaker / fuse for the ignition?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 1:47am
The next would be to figure out which post on they key the wire is going to.

There is a B (battery but it usually comes from the engine not directly from the battery), I for ignition and S for start.

The wire should be going fro battery positive to the B on the key. If it's going to the I, that would explain why the coil is always live, but wouldn't necessarily explain why things are getting hot.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:46am
I was going from the + post on the battery to the switch.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:41am
Wow. Thanks! This will help tremendously. Should the positive post be on the bow end? There were no markings on the cables.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:14am
Here's the engine side schematic, you'll be needing this too I suspect

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:04am
That wire going directly from the key to the battery... which battery terminal is it going to?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:00am
Hmmm, the coil shouldn't be getting any juice at all to get hot unless the key is on...

Here is the 89 Dash diagram to get you started:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/downloads/1989_SN_Wiring_Diagram.pdf
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 11:29pm
Not to worry John, pics of both ;)

I put a fully charged battery in. With the switch off there were sparks when attaching the battery terminal. After being hooked up for a few minutes I noticed the coil was very hot. Is that normal? If you jump from positive to the switch, then turn the key to start, the wire becomes extremely hot. Also, the ignition light is on. If I push the button in the wire becomes extremely hot. Like a direct short.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

pics coming soon!

of both the boat......and girlfriend.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 10:08pm
Maybe it's just that the battery has a bad connection or dead.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 9:44pm
I don't know if Rule is the best but certainly most popular. I usually stick with same pump as I'm replacing to avoid drilling new holes.

Direct short? Can you give more details. There are numerous diagrams on here, maybe in the reference section or FAQ page, I'm not sure. Try googling correct craft fan wiring diagram.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 9:35pm
New development...When turning the ignition key to the on position, nothing happens. When attempting to start the engine there appears to be a direct short. Is there a wiring diagram anywhere online?   Looks like the previous owner had a direct line from the battery to the ignition switch. Time to dive into the wiring. Does the 89 Ski Nautique have any fuses? thanks
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 2:03pm
Would you go with a Rule pump?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:30pm
I'd step up to at least 800. 500 takes a while to pump.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:05pm
Is this an acceptable bilge pump for the Nautique?

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/rupuau12vodc1.html
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 4:59pm
Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely check out the drive shaft alignment. I will check out Mobil 1. Is there a particular bilge pump I need to use? I like the idea of an automatic pump.

pics coming soon!
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 11:14am
Congratulations and welcome! I ended up going with Mobil 1 high milage on the oil front. This article was informative on the ZDDP topic.
ZDDP and Older Automobile Engines

Also, here is Mobil 1's product guide for comparison info

Mobil 1 Product Guide

When you get a chance post pics please
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 10:36am
Vince - Since it is new to you, I suggest taking the time to check alignment of the prop shaft.

Here is a how to: video
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 8:23am
Congratulations on your new boat.
Any high zinc oil is good pick one and stay with it.
I use Shell Rotella 15/40 diesel
Change the oil every 50ish hrs. and at the end of the season.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 4:18am
I bought an 89. :) Now the project begins...is there a section in the forum with a basic checklist for someone new to boats? Recommended maintenance? First thing I need to do is change the oil. Is there a particular brand that should be run?   I need to check the impeller along with installing a bilge pump.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 2:27pm
Yeah same hull, different deck. I actually prefer the 84 over 89 plus you get dual exhaust with 84.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 2:22pm
I may have found a good deal on a 1984. I was wanting the 89 but I don't know if I can pass this one up. Is the hull the same?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 2:38am
9500!? for a 2500 hour boat...no friggin way. Original owner does not want to sell obviously.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic