NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Damage Repair advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 3:34pm
Our 1987 Malibu had the same thing, a nice looking chrome flat bar that attached the boat nose to the trailer. A little hard to hook up, you had to get in the water while loading the boat and hook it while the driver of the boat moved forward or aft. If the boat was not floating you could not locate it properly to hook up the flat bar. It was secure once hooked up. The chains might be noisy and will be ugly but I think I will try them for peace of mind. On the 95 Ski Nautique the lift rings in the back are covered by the exhaust safety system, the exhaust is diverted behind the swim plate but you can't get to the lift rings from the bottom so the rear trailer tie downs attach to the rear swim platform supports. This location seems weak to me, I would like to tie to the rear lifting rings but from the bottom. Anyone else find a solution to this. I fully understand the reason for the exhaust protection. A good friend almost lost his son to carbon monoxide. They were taking firewood to the campsite and had the firewood in plastic bags on the rear swim platform of the boat. My friends son was holding the bags while sitting in the rear seat and they were just idling along. Suddenly their son stopped talking with them and looked like he fell asleep. They stopped and figured out what happened. Started assisted breathing and called for a life flight helicopter. He turned our fine but spent the night in the hospital on oxygen and they almost lost him. Put a huge scare in our Water Ski group. We all pay more attention to exhaust fumes since this event 10 years ago.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 3:11am
My friends dad was going down the freeway once when a nice doggie ran across the freeway he attempted to avoid the dog and locked em up sliding the wagoneer sideways into the ice plant median and then rolling over a few times....the lesson was...if some animal runs out in front of you just hit them...they are not worth your life
He vividly remembered seeing his tool box fly between him and his friend out through the windshield narrowly missing them both.

I would just hit the deer next time.
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 3:15am
Also no trailer loads like a CC trailer. It is designed as a drive on...most trailers are designed as float on
This is the life
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 3:17pm
Out 78 Ski Nautique had the Nautique built trailer and it was a true drive on.
The 95 trailer made by DHM is a great looking trailer but was mass produced and many brands of boats sit on DHM trailers. Looks good but universal fit trailer does not perform as well for drive on and will need some help to properly keep a boat from sliding forward in an accident.   The repair shop says the boat on wet bunks is like having the bunks greased, he says he has seen far worse accidents than ours.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 6:13pm
thanks for sharing... I can see the v chain Idea working, you might try wire rope and turnbuckles to keep the noise down and the look more attractive.   

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2014 at 3:30pm
Good idea, I will ponder this, whatever I go with I really want 5,000 pound break strength, minimum. I will check and see what a turnbuckle can hold. I think more than 5,000 is overkill as the eye in the nose of the Nautique will fail.
The system has to be fast to hook also, I do not wish to spend time wading in cold water fighting a hook up. Did that with our Malibu for 20 years and hated it the whole time.

The boat is supposed to be back next Friday. I look forward to having it nice again.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2014 at 6:55pm
I don't see why you couldn't load normally then hook up your tie down up top.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 2:27am
We were pulling out this year after driving on and the boat slid back as I pulled out, I have been nervous since then. We had the boat in gear pushing forward as it came out of the water. Maybe not enough throttle. Done that many times with our old Nautique but I don't trust this trailer for easy outs.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 4:49am
Would it not be an easy fix to stop the boat from moving forward to hook up a chain or cable from the bow eye, back down to the frame below the bow eye? Just as a precaution.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 10:25pm
That is the plan.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 6:38pm
Update, boat now repaired, trailer repaired and a Safety Chain added to the front of the trailer to avoid this damage in the future.
The Carpets on the front stops were burned and damaged from the boat impact, I was going to get new carpet and then decided to try hitting the burn marks with a wire brush. They turned out fine and I put them back on with no new carpet as the photo shows. Last thing to do is replace the prop with the Acme 224 when the shop finishes that repair.
Classic Craft in Sacramento did the glass/gel coat repair and I am very happy with the results and color match.

mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 11:48pm
Can any part of that chain touch the hull? When your driving the chain will be flopping around and may rub on the hull especially out on the highway. May want to find a piece of clear vinyl tubing to slide over the chain so if it does rub on the hull you won't be back at the gel coat repair shop again. Just a thought, the repair looks really great.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 12:13am
gotta agree with Mark...repair looks sweet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 12:19am
The boat repair looks great. Only thing I would suggest would be to get a hook that uses a pin and a cotter key to connect to the chain,those threaded links are not that strong and just might be the weak link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The boat repair looks great. Only thing I would suggest would be to get a hook that uses a pin and a cotter key to connect to the chain,those threaded links are not that strong and just might be the weak link

I agree with Gary that the repair sure looks great.
I also agree with him about the hook. Whoever did the chain set up sure doesn't know what he's doing.

Or at least use a shackle:

I also suggest a decent eyebolt with a shackle and not that weak U bolt for anchoring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 6:05am
Wow, you guys are tough.
Keep in mind the Original manufacturer of the trailer had nothing there to stop the boat from moving forward except the poles and nose pad which failed in a 10 mph crash.

I did all the install so the buck stops here.

I looked at many options. This chain can't hit the hull. Stretched it misses by 4 inches unless the boat slips to the rear. It only pulls forward 3/4 inch and it is tight with no slack with the boat sitting normal on the trailer. Could be an issue hooking up if the boat is not parked well.
The hook and chain are rated at 2,500 lb working load and 4-4,400 break strength.
I bought two of the 3/8 anchor pins like in the middle picture above and they were rated 3,000 but did not fit, would not go through the hole of the hook or the chain. The smaller 3/16 anchor pins were rated only 500 lbs so I chose not to go that way.
I looked at the eye-bolt for the frame and canceled that idea because of the direction of load. Eye-bolts are very strong with a straight pull but can fracture with a side load. I have a side load.

The U bolt used is rated at 2,200 and when pulled on it should bend forward if needed but hopefully not break. If I am wrong on this thought let me know.
Although the chain looks loose it moves only 3/4 of an inch before it is tight. I figured the boat would hit the stop poles and pads in that same inch of movement and my stopping power would at least increase by the amount of strength in the poles helping keep the boat in place.
You are right about the quick link chain connector it is 5/16 and only rated at 1500 lbs, again the 3/8 would not fit. That is my weak link but heck, how strong is the U bolt in the fiberglass at some point it will rip out and I don't know how strong it may be.
I also upgraded the two rear straps since the ones in the accident both snapped. I now have two 2,000 lb straps in the rear.
Lastly I replaced the winch strap since it was 20 years old, new strap rated at 4,000 break strength and 2,600 load.

Perfect no, but better than the zero I got from the factory design.
I have extra chain so I will look into a hook with the clevis pin and maybe upgrade, I want to keep the spring lock type just for ease of quick connecting.

Thanks for the feed back, I am open to improvements. I considered welding the chain to the frame but nixed it because I did not feel it was needed. I have a wire feed and a 220 stick welder so that would have been an easy task except for the painting necessary to clean up.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 8:22am
repair looks great

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 9:27am
"Note: Capacities listed are for vertical lifting only. Eyebolts with shoulder can be used for angular lifting up to 45°, but the capacity will be significantly reduced. For example, when lifting a 1,000 lb. load at a 45° angle, you must choose an eyebolt with a capacity of at least 5,600 lbs."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 9:54am
Seems like the weak link may be the bow eye. How much load can it handle at the point where is will be pulling from? That's a lot better than what was there. You can't protect yourself from everything unless you custom build a trailer. We had a trailer come off the hitch this spring going 55 mph down the interstate. I tapped the brakes and the winch mount on the non Correct Craft trailer hit the truck bumper and kept the boat from hitting the truck. Had the boat been on a Correct Craft trailer, regardless of whether it had the stop like you have or the smaller one that is lower on the stem, the bow would have crashed into the tail gate.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 11:35am
Sounds like fun Bruce!

Mark, the repair looks good. You could have avoided drilling the trailer altogether with just looping chain under that C channel and going back up to the bow eye.

The bow eye is very tough, lots of fiberglass behind it, I wouldn't be concerned with it ever coming out unless you are swinging the boat from it!

Sleeving the chain is still a good idea because it will inevitably scratch up the trailer when disconnected. It doesn't look like there is a convenient spot to hook it to when the boat is off.

Better than before, that's what matters. How strong it needs to be is up to you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 12:41pm
I've never seen a bow eye rip out on a glass boat. The most severe pull on them is when the boat isn't all the way on the trailer or at an angle to the trailer. Then, pulling out of the ramp the boat will be pulled forward putting the extreme pull on the bow eye. I have seen a couple bow eyes ripped out of wood boats but in both cases, they had stems in very bad shape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 2:16pm
Thanks for all the idea's guys. I will have to get something over the chain. Maybe a bicycle tube. Hopefully none of us have to test the boat stops again. Glad this one is in the rear view mirror now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic