NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 probs

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 10:35am
Hey Tom,

I'm kinda curious how the bad gas came to be? It was obviously running fine when you got it or is that a misnomer?
Even ethanol fuel will take much longer to go bad then what you've had it for. You get some bad gas from the station? Maybe got some water in the tank?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Hey Tom,

I'm kinda curious how the bad gas came to be? It was obviously running fine when you got it or is that a misnomer?
Even ethanol fuel will take much longer to go bad then what you've had it for. You get some bad gas from the station? Maybe got some water in the tank?

Hey Eddie,
I am still trying to figure that one out. I was pretty religious about using the non ethanol from the Citgo next to the Catholic church on 17, but the team was running the boat so much, I started using the ethanol blend from the Racetrack so as not to bankrupt the team and on the notion that ethanol gas would not be a problem if it was consumed quickly. So that is part of the mystery. I am also wondering if the rain water was able to make its way past the threads of the screw cap if it was not cinched down tight. We got a LOT of rain for the 2 days I was gone, and apparently my cover is not exactly rain proof. I am thinking that the cover, being fabric, really held the water that was not running off, and that the cap touched the fabric doing the classic "dont touch the inside of the tent when its raining" thing. I am guessing it would not take much and at the time it only had about 8 gallons in it anyway. I have just never seen such a uniform, cloudy, Gatorade yellow mixture before.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:38pm
Maybe someone forgot to put the cap on after a full up. (It happens to the very best of us )
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:53pm
The only way that it could possibly be the ethanol is if it was a bad batch from the station. I run ethanol from Race Trac or 7-11 and have had no problems at all. But I also run Stabil religiously too. I didn't even realize you could get non-ethanol around here but I'm sure you pay for it.
I have to think you got water in the tank. That would certainly explain the yellow Gatorade appearance.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

The only way that it could possibly be the ethanol is if it was a bad batch from the station. I run ethanol from Race Trac or 7-11 and have had no problems at all. But I also run Stabil religiously too. I didn't even realize you could get non-ethanol around here but I'm sure you pay for it.
I have to think you got water in the tank. That would certainly explain the yellow Gatorade appearance.

Yeah, the Citgo has it and it is usually about 80/90 cents more than regular. I run it 100% for the power tools and outboard. I was 100% on the ski nautique, but I fell off the wagon on the new boat because it burns so much more (310hp vs 240hp) If I get it running next week between work and kids, I will probably go back to ethanol free and suck up the $$$.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Maybe someone forgot to put the cap on after a full up. (It happens to the very best of us )

I would love that to be the problem because then I would have an answer!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 3:14pm
If it was indeed water intrusion, it doesn't matter if you were using the ethanol free or not. You would've still had issues, no matter how much more you pay for it.

FYI, I use the ethanol free for all my power equipment. I run premium and treat it with Stabil.
Premium just because it may sit for several months, doesn't lose as much octane and has better cleaning agents. Stabil because it works.

I mix a gallon of 2-cycle fuel that lasts me about a year and no problems at all in my 8 year old Echo trimmer.

Eddie
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 12:39am
I haven't had time to read all these posts, but I did get that the bilge flooded and now the engine runs badly.
1. Has anyone looked at the engine oil to see if it looks like a dirty milkshake? Water WILL get in through the rear main seal if the bellhousing floods.

2. Take an air hose a blow out the "gate" in the distributor that the tabs on the Hall Effect wheel go through. There is a magnet in there, and if a little piece of rust or magnetic metal gets in there, it confuses the heck out of the computer.
"Art"
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 11:51pm
Thanks Guys,
It is all back together and running great. Drained the gas and put in a new filter. No codes, and good fuel pressure.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:19am
Scamp On
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Yeah, the Citgo has it and it is usually about 80/90 cents more than regular. I run it 100% for the power tools and outboard. I was 100% on the ski nautique, but I fell off the wagon on the new boat because it burns so much more (310hp vs 240hp)

I was under the impression that a 240 HP 351 and GT-40 351 burned about the same amount of gas when used at skiing speeds.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Yeah, the Citgo has it and it is usually about 80/90 cents more than regular. I run it 100% for the power tools and outboard. I was 100% on the ski nautique, but I fell off the wagon on the new boat because it burns so much more (310hp vs 240hp)

I was under the impression that a 240 HP 351 and GT-40 351 burned about the same amount of gas when used at skiing speeds.

I have not actually done the math yet, but it sure feels more painful!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 2:17am
5gal/hr or less should be about right if you aren't running 1000's of pounds of ballast.   Lots of starts kill the mpg so ski team learning things and taking a lot of short pulls could run the bill up quick. I remember going to boarding school back in the day and we filled the Pro Air 2 times a day, don't know how much they put in it each time, but we were using more than half a tank every 4 hrs or they wouldn't have filled it back up at lunch.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 9:25am

I have not actually done the math yet, but it sure feels more painful!

Geez Tom,
How about fessin' up and just admitting that you're using it more than the old boat!!!!!!!!! That's why you're putting more gas in it.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 9:52am
The gt40 should be more efficient than a carbd 351w, with the addition of multi port efi. The pro air hull is a lot bigger and heavier to move around though- surely that is what's causing the difference!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The gt40 should be more efficient than a carbd 351w, with the addition of multi port efi. The pro air hull is a lot bigger and heavier to move around though- surely that is what's causing the difference!

I agree. That is a lot more boat than the 89 SN. I noticed the most increase in fuel use when Eddie was behind the boat, because I think he is made of iron.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 2:28pm
You just need to pull Eddie barefooting at 24 mph so you are at the most fuel efficient speed.

'99 Pro Air is 2,700 lbs.
'89 Ski is 2,400 lbs.

I've never been in a Pro Air, but would have expected the longer, less planted hull to be about equal to push around as the '89 ski, even given the extra weight.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:16pm
Is this your Pro-Air? No wonder it's using so much fuel
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:34pm

would have expected the longer, less planted hull to be about equal to push around as the '89 ski, even given the extra weight.

I think your misconception is that the pro air would somehow be a more efficient (lower drag) hull than a 2001... I assure you that the opposite is true to a very large degree. Cc made the SN wider in '90 and added hook (ie, increased the planing surface area significantly), resulting in a smaller slalom wake for the NWZ. That hull is less efficient than a 2001 because of it. Stretch the length a foot or so (93+ Sport) and add some inverted strakes (Pro Air) and I assure you it's not helping the fuel efficiency- even ignoring the 300 lb weight gain.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 4:34pm
As much as it pains me I totally agree with Timmy, was pleasantly surprised by the efficiency gains that came with my first EFI boat......despite it being a Ford
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

would have expected the longer, less planted hull to be about equal to push around as the '89 ski, even given the extra weight.

I think your misconception is that the pro air would somehow be a more efficient (lower drag) hull than a 2001... I assure you that the opposite is true to a very large degree. Cc made the SN wider in '90 and added hook (ie, increased the planing surface area significantly), resulting in a smaller slalom wake for the NWZ. That hull is less efficient than a 2001 because of it. Stretch the length a foot or so (93+ Sport) and add some inverted strakes (Pro Air) and I assure you it's not helping the fuel efficiency- even ignoring the 300 lb weight gain.

I guess I'm just not very familiar with how 2001's handle. I know that both from inside the boat, and watching from a distance, it seems to me that NWZ and '98 up Ski's seem much more planted and pushing the bow than my 21' Sport. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but feels like my boat will glide at 28-34 mph with less resistance than a similar '98 Ski that a friend of mine owns. So, was thinking the 21 footers were more efficient than the Ski's. But back to the 2001, I definitely take your opinion on that!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2014 at 11:06am
The impression I've gotten from the sports and pro airs that I've driven is that the extra length was added mostly to the nose (for bow seating). All seemed incrementally more lethargic than a comparable SN. Perhaps the longer nose is giving you the impression that they get more hull out of the water? Perhaps they do, but I think they have every bit as much (probably more) hull in the water.

2001's ride significantly more bow high than a NWZ or later SN. Compare these 2 pictures and note the attitude. Where the spray is breaking is a good clue as to how "planted" the boat runs.

http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/1987_brochure/index.asp?page=05

http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/1992_brochure/
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2014 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Is this your Pro-Air? No wonder it's using so much fuel

That is a party!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2014 at 10:55pm
not to threadjack, although I really don't care too much...Tom, that was at TRBenj's CT mini 2 years ago...if you want to have a good time, head that way when it comes together in august. it is a family friendly affair as HW and I do the majority of the heavy drinking, but we ski all weekend and your boys would learn a ton from the calibur of skiers that are there. if you don't have a tent I'll bring one for you.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 1:00am
Adam I believe your pro air capacity plate says 9 passengers, good to see you using the boat to it's maximum capability! That's an awesome picture. Joe looks like he's ready to bail out quick if a rogue wave goes over the gunwale.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 1:07am
Tim, good comparison with the brochure pics. On the '87 2001 I like using the picture on the right, the one on the left has 300 lbs. of passengers in the back seat so not the best comparison. No question I can see the bow firmly planted in the '92.

Not sure when I can do it, but I have a neighbor with a '98 Ski, I'll see if I can get him to make a few passes at ski speed and a bit faster while I video, then do the same with my boat. Would make for a good comparison of the 19 1/2' and 21' boats from the same year. I'm sure you are right, I'm just seeing the longer nose and assuming it's less wetted surface, and likely the opposite.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 1:45am

Adam I believe your pro air capacity plate says 9 passengers, good to see you using the boat to it's maximum capability! That's an awesome picture. Joe looks like he's ready to bail out quick if a rogue wave goes over the gunwale.
that's probably the most weight I ever had in it, best guess is around 3000 lbs, and let me tell you it was a pig to drive, but it did the job. I do love that pic though.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 1:50am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

I do love that pic though.

I agree should be a calendar pic!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I do love that pic though.

I agree should be a calendar pic!
oh buddy, I got a couple for the calendar this year....Morfoot took one of me and my dad running together that if it doesn't make it will break all my faith in humanity.
its so cool to me that me and my dad's boats are 25 years apart, both anniversary boats (50 and 75) and both are running good. hopefully the committee (of one) appreciates that this year
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 1:55am

that's probably the most weight I ever had in it, best guess is around 3000 lbs, and let me tell you it was a pig to drive, but it did the job. I do love that pic though.

Could probably surf the bow wave!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic