NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Ski Nautique Stringers- Why, I don't know

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:58pm
I'll get in line for an original Chrysler Ex. manifold(s) if they're in good shape.

Making good progress. As soon as boating season wraps up I'll be digging back into the 67.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 2:16pm
Consider sending the complete RH engine down to Indiana?? My cousin lives outside of Detroit.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 8:48pm
Do keep in mind one of the engines will be a LH.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Go chrysler GO!

Hey Bill, Detroit is Chrysler Country and when I was driving up I-75 through the city at least 4 guys in dodge pickups pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up- one almost side swiped me doing it
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:13pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] I'll take one of those alternators if you end up with a spare![QUOTE]

I think I am going to sell the LH engine and keep the RH. I will list it in the for sale section. PM sent
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Consider sending the complete RH engine down to Indiana?? My cousin lives outside of Detroit.

Zach, I am planning on keeping the RH engine right now, until I know what I need for my engine or whatever path I take. The RH engine is stuck and wont turn over with a breaker bar. I will probably disassemble and see what is going on inside it. Oil looks clean and at the correct level.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Do keep in mind one of the engines will be a LH.

Thanks Pete, I actually knew one was RH and the other LH, I learned to decode the bellhousing tag here on this site- probably with your help!!
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The 318 blocks themselves are a dime a dozen. If you really want to have fun and are rebuilding from the bottom up, build a 340 instead of a 318- just need a block (plus pistons and rods, which you'd be replacing anyways) and swap the other parts over.

From what I hear from the 340 is about as elusive as the 409 Chevy I was looking for last winter.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The 318 blocks themselves are a dime a dozen. If you really want to have fun and are rebuilding from the bottom up, build a 340 instead of a 318- just need a block (plus pistons and rods, which you'd be replacing anyways) and swap the other parts over.

From what I hear from the 340 is about as elusive as the 409 Chevy I was looking for last winter.

Not sure how hard the 409 is to find but there are 340 blocks to be had pretty regularly if you know where to look. Of course, they're not as plentiful or as cheap as those dime-a-dozen 350's. ;). Jut picked one up this spring.

Thanks Wes!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 1:06am
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Go chrysler GO!

Hey Bill, Detroit is Chrysler Country and when I was driving up I-75 through the city at least 4 guys in dodge pickups pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up- one almost side swiped me doing it

Ha! Good thing he didn't take out the RH motor!   
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:10am
Pulled the Rh engine apart and there was surface rust in 2 cylinders, but one is pretty bad. There will always be a one intake valve open when you shut the engine off and it looks like there was water intrusion that trickled down from the carb through the intake and into the cylinder. I filled the cylinder bores with Acetone & transmission fluid and let em soak overnight. I was able to push 6 pistons out without a problem. No ridge built up that would prevent the rings from sliding by.

I am going to let the bad cylinders soak overnight again and scrub some of the bad rust off with 0000 steel wool. I couldn't turn the crank over with the crank snout tool, so I slowly levered it over with a pry bar into the flywheel teeth and did manage to move it, but not far enough to allow access to the conn rod bolts for the last two pistons. Looks like the block is good for a rebuild. The pry bar method is best left to people like me who don't care about their flywheel. I was thinking of using a long piece of flat bar stock and bolting it to the damper bolt holes in the flywheel to get better leverage and turn the engine that way. I have to move it to get access to the conn rod bolts to get the pistons out.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:49am
How different is the hull on that 69 compared to my 78? It looks very close so what is the purpose of the spray rail?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 10:18am
I'm not sure about how close to the 1st gen hull design yours is. I assume that the spray rails are to keep the water spray from going back into the boat. I'm not a hull expert, but there are some on here who are. I found this chart searching hull generations.

The chart from this site has the complete SN hull history.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 2:18pm
Hey chevy, i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one? it's the plate with the 4 bolts on the end...i could make one, but i'm lazy and busy and will resort to that if it's necessary.

Also did you buy this from a guy in hamilton OH, this look really similar to one i saw for sale here about a year ago.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Hey chevy, i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one? it's the plate with the 4 bolts on the end...i could make one, but i'm lazy and busy and will resort to that if it's necessary.

Exhaust manifold end plate
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 1:27pm

i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one?
Also did you buy this from a guy in hamilton OH, this look really similar to one i saw for sale here about a year ago.

Peter,
I don't have an extra plate, sorry. Looks like Craig found you a place to buy a new one though.
I bought these engines in Brownstown, MI- from a 70 year old Elvis impersonator. Real nice guy.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 4:30pm

i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one?

Peter,
I don't have an extra plate, sorry. Looks like Craig found you a place to buy a new one though.
I bought these engines in Brownstown, MI- from a 70 year old Elvis impersonator. Real nice guy.

Hey thx for letting me know, I'll eventually take the plung and buy the plate, but was hoping there might be someone out there with a broken manifold that has no use for the end plate.

I meant, where did you buy the boat?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 12:28am
Worked on the trailer today. Previous owner sandblasted and painted it and put new wood on it, but the wood went all the way up to the bow stop. I trimmed the bunks back, carpeted them and I installed tail lights. Also put the decals on it (thanks Marty).

I always get a little nervous when the boat is sitting on blocks high enough to get the trailer out from under it.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 12:31am
Put the windshield on it today. 2 piece with "real" glass. New gasket for the deck to windshield joint, it made a huge difference in the look of the boat.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 12:36am
Working on the engine, tore apart and successfully removed the pistons- even the one that was stuck in the bore. No ridge built up on any of the cylinders and the pistons all slid out easily except one that had rust near the top of the bores. Took a ridge reamer and gently removed the rust. I'm going to hone the cylinders and measure them, but it looks like a low hour engine and may be a candidate for a re-ring job. I need to get this pain in the A$$ in the water before the snow flies. I'm getting close, but it is taking a lot longer that I would like.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 2:00am
Looking real good. I noticed in you first pictures that the windshield was plastic. Is the glass one from a 'Cuda?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Looking real good. I noticed in you first pictures that the windshield was plastic. Is the glass one from a 'Cuda?

I can't be sure, but I bought it from a guy on this forum names Terry Teague. He said it was from a 1st Gen Ski Nautique- I can't remember the exact year. I did get some of the corner brackets and deck clips from Cuda Chris. The first photo in this thread is a windshield that was sitting on the boat when I first looked at it and after I paid the guy he said it didn't go with the boat, it was for another boat he owned. I wasn't too happy with that miscommunication, but it worked out well in the end.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 11:46am
You bet it will,the glass ones are easier to clean and I think look better
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 10:51am

I did get some of the corner brackets and deck clips from Cuda Chris.

Please post some more info on the corner "wing" brackets. My two brackets are busted and I'd love to know if someone has any of these available. I keep looking at ebay with no luck.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 11:15am
Craig I cannot tell you how hard those are to find. When I saw that comment that he found those and the clips I thought how lucky can you get! When I finally found a windshield for mu boat it was the older style with the "vent wings",same windshield just different ends. Took about a year to find and would not have happened with out Marty. He found someone with the newer style ends that needed the older style and made a swap. Keep looking and good luck,somewhere out there is a set in someone's garage.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:00pm
I did get lucky. I posted in the wanted to buy section of this forum and found a curved 2 piece windshield. Then I traded the broken pieces of my windshield that came with the boat for the 2 brackets and clips that I needed.
Here is the thread:

1969 Ski Nautique Windshield Wanted

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:48pm
Yep those are the ones. And mine look identical to your originals . That's awesome you were able to find a set. I'll keep my eyes open.

Mike (Wakeslayer) had a machine shop quote him a price to machine a set out of stainless I think, and it was very cost prohibitive as you can imagine.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 5:15pm
I remember seeing this boat for sale on craigslist. I was half way thinking about making an offer but it clearly went to the right person. Nicely done Wes! She's looking amazing!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 6:21pm
When I got my boat in the late 80's the glass was broken out but the frames,ends and clips were all there. I normally do not throw anything away but at the time I thought the chances of finding new glass was impossible so one day cleaning the garage out they went along with a cracked but repairable bucket seat. I could have put them somewhere they didn't take up much room. I will never throw anything away again !
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I remember seeing this boat for sale on craigslist. I was half way thinking about making an offer but it clearly went to the right person. Nicely done Wes! She's looking amazing!

Chris,
Thanks for the compliment, I remember when you posted it in the interesting Craigslist finds thread. I had already been looking at it and it was local to me, so I went out and took a look. I was going to part it out and cut it up to make a bar
I should have let you buy it. Save me some work.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic