NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a new truck

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:06am
Well, I pulled the trigger last night after I got all my quotes back and ended up going with the 5.0L V8 XLT F150. Had to drive an hour to get it but they sure made it worth it! I'm real happy and got a great deal, plus they gave me $1k more for my trade. I was still a bit nervous about going with the Eco after hearing of people still having issues. Plus it was $1000 more and I'm on a tight budget!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:26am
I bet that 5.0 is pretty light and revvy. Congrats! Does it sport the same HP numbers as the Mustang?

Pics or it didn't happen :)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:42am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Well, I pulled the trigger last night after I got all my quotes back and ended up going with the 5.0L V8 XLT F150. Had to drive an hour to get it but they sure made it worth it! I'm real happy and got a great deal, plus they gave me $1k more for my trade. I was still a bit nervous about going with the Eco after hearing of people still having issues. Plus it was $1000 more and I'm on a tight budget!

Did you go back to all the dealers for a second round of bidding? That was where some of the real deals started popping up for me!

Like Zach said, pics! 2wd or 4wd this time?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:42am
Congrats Bret,
If you didn't already notice from an aggressive test drive, while that 5.0 doesn't have the low-end torque of the EB, the sounds it emits as it revs to 6500 is nothing short of a symphony.
But getting back to the V6 TT's, apparently GM's lightbulb finally came on as they've got a hot one coming and the auto writers are speculating that it'll end up in a Silverado and not just the Caddy.

reid's link    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:43am
Can someone please fix my link
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:45am
Reid, I am staying tuned for the v6 diesel in the ram in 14 :).
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I bet that 5.0 is pretty light and revvy. Congrats! Does it sport the same HP numbers as the Mustang?

The 5.0 is dialed back quite a bit (420 down to 360) in the truck version, and I'd thought they'd lower the torque curve too but not sure. Also runs on 87 gas naturally. And redline drops from 7000 to 6000. I incorrectly mentioned 6500 earlier I believe.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 11:21am
Regardless a pretty cool motor.. Ford needs to do a new regular cab 2wd short bed with the tuned up 5.0 and call it the new Lightning.

I was at the track back when the new stang 5.0 came out. There was a guy running Slicks and a 4.10 gear in one all else stock cracking off 12.60's consistently . I about crapped.

It's amazing what technology can do. My old 360 has to be all smelly and sound like a race motor to produce close to 400 hp and my truck idles like a slant six while making 390 HP all the way up to almost 6000.

I can't wait until someone gets some of these modern engines out for marine purposes.

I guess up in Detroit where my uncle is on some of the test mule engines they run manifolds with water in them to keep it cool from the extreme heat of endurance tests. Maybe I can get him to throw a set of those my way and drop a 6.4 in the boat ;).

I also read that the new 6.4 truck motor has stainless steel exhaust manifolds and fasteners for longevity. Impressive.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 11:58am
Congrats Bert, post some pics!! Did you trade in that rice burning pickupcar?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 11:59am
Ha, Pickup car.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Did you go back to all the dealers for a second round of bidding? That was where some of the real deals started popping up for me!

Like Zach said, pics! 2wd or 4wd this time?

Tim, I did go back to them all, and I threw a low number out to the dealer I went with and they responded back with "What time do you want to pick it up?" They were a first-class operation all the way around. I was in and out in less than 2 hours. It was Rountree-Moore Ford in Lake City, FL. An hour north of here. When I pulled into the dealership it was like I stepped back in time. They were in the same building as when it opened in 1925 and still were rocking the old school red/white/blue streamers. Pretty neat stuff.

I think at minimum a leveling kit is in order and it won't be long until some bigger tires are added.

'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 5:37pm
p.s. - CQ, suck on my big fat AMERICAN made tail pipe now!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 5:46pm
Hahahahha!! CQ. Be careful what you wish for Bret!

Your color makes me jealous. I wanted to order that but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the red truck. My buddy's Rock Warrior Tundra is the same color. His boat is red so if we swap boats our rigs look better ha.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 1:42am
"rocking old school"...hope my brother sees this & has a picture or 2 of our dealership in Avon Lake Ohio...used to be Lloyd-Manwell. Dad ran the front..Mom was in the office and 2 sons. One in sales & one in service. Was just a simple pleasure dealing or getting service. Of course being able to go A-plan helped. Back when I was leasing my trucks & Patti's cars we could go on vacation & come home to a new car in the garage as they had the code for my opener. Would let you cruise their computer so you could find just the truck that you wanted. Once they had a special very Yellow Ranger pickup on display on their floor that Patti just fell in love with...next thing I knew they were drivin' it off the floor & she left in it. What a place!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 4:45am

Regardless a pretty cool motor.. Ford needs to do a new regular cab 2wd short bed with the tuned up 5.0 and call it the new Lightning.

How about a reg. cab/short box F-150 with the 3.5 Egoboost and the option of 2WD or 4WD?

Google Ford Tremor.

That being said, I just bought a 2012 Ram Express with 4400 miles on it for $23,800. With my trade in, I paid around $6,500. The Hemi is a gem, the 6-speed rocks, the ride is cloud smooth and I average 18-20 MPG with it...so screw Ford and their "eco" crap. Nothing "Eco" about a V6 that drinks fuel like a V8 (or worse). My Silverado was an absolutely fantastic truck that sold in less than a week for this dealer. BUt this truck tows the Nautique FAR better. The 5.3, while a fantastic engine and part of the legendary GM small block family, was a bit weak.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 8:58am
P71, are you and zach related? Red ram trucks, gray 2001's and a passion for inflatable water sports- you must be long lost brothers!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 9:23am
P71, did you drive the Ecoboost? Your "Hemi" doesn't hold a candle to it power-wise and that "little V6" will make your truck turn its tailpipe under and slink home embarrassed.   I drove them both. The Hemi is an absolute dog compared to the Ecoboost. And I'm an unbiased opinion, I bought the 5.0L motor.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 10:07am
I've heard all the advertising hype about the Ford Ecoboost but until looking it up did not really understand what it actually means. Turns out I have been running it longer than you guy's even had heard of it Looks like it was acquired when Ford bought Volvo in '99. It will be interesting to see how they hold up with the average consumer. Volvo recommends 7k oil changes but I always change at 3k,the longer it stays in there it starts taking on a odd color which stains the dipstick. It is amazing to be running at 70/75 stepping on the gas and having it smoothly,quietly and quickly pulling away. Not happy that the Chinese now own them,most likely will look into what Kristof drives when the time comes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 10:18am
Bad ass truck P71. Bringing back memories of towing my boat home with a regular cab short bed hot rod Dodge truck ha.

Bret, The eco I'm sure would destroy the Hemi out of the hole because Chrysler limits torque output below 3000 rpms..... .

My truck has the 3.92 ratio and all of the 3.55 trucks feel like they have an anchor behind them compared to my truck.

Tim, inflatable water sports? I've heard your passion lies with something else that's inflatable. Don't worry I won't tell Sarah. Haha.

Only problem I have had with the eco (other than the 6 banger racket) is that its marketed as ECO Economy. Which it doesn't do from what I have heard. Other than that if you don't mind the 6 cylinder noise everyone is impressed with towing and power.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 10:21am
When I was buying my Tahoe it came down to a Tahoe or a Durango. So, I drove the 5.3 and 5.7 Hemi, and had driven the hemi before as well. My take is the 5.3 is somewhat vanilla, but smooth as silk and quiet, which is what I was looking for this time. With the hemi you're more aware you've got a motor in front of you.

I found both engines have quite a bit of shift lag (torque management) which makes them feel doggy when you step down. It's not a lack of power, because even the 5.3 will pull pretty hard when you step on it. In both cases an aftermarket tune will go a long way to making them more efficient, more powerful, and with much improved shifting. I'm holding off on a tune for the Tahoe because of warranty, and maybe just not needing it in this vehicle, we'll see.

Towing my sport, maybe 4,500 lbs total, is easy as can be. More power is fun, but in this case I just don't need it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 10:21am
Oh btw P71. Make sure you rotate those tires at least every 5k or say hello to cup city. You will struggle to get 50k out of them and stay away from pot holes and curbs if you don't want the truck to shake like a wet dog at highway speeds.

Bret, If P71's truck is a 2wd you better think twice about the Ecoboost comments ha. The Hemi in that little guy makes it a high 14 second rig at the track in stock form. There are guys with little stuff like headers intake tunes with sticky tires putting the regular cab trucks in the high mid 13's.

Now my truck would probably be working hard to think about running high 14's but I plan on a track visit this fall to bury the hatchet with Tom in his Rock Warrior ;).

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 12:05pm
Zach, the Ecoboost in stock form 2WD extra-cab is also pulling high 14's, and with tune and intake/exhaust guys are getting low 13's.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 12:20pm
It's pretty cool what the trucks are doing. I am curious about the Diablo sport tuner. I guess it makes the SRT cars real animals and they claim 30 Rear wheel HP to the wheels on the 5.7. That would make true Hemi output at the crank somewhere around 430-440.

Takes away all the torque management and crap. I doubt I will do that because I am so happy with what the truck does as is.

Wanna put some turbos on my truck :).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 1:26pm

I guess it makes the SRT cars real animals and they claim 30 Rear wheel HP to the wheels on the 5.7.

"and got over 10 mph (10.8). I know that's nothing to brag about, but I was hauling"

Holy cr*p Zach that right there puts you right up in Reids territory

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 1:41pm
Couple of nice looking trucks there.

The Ram pulls off the standard cab look better than any other current standard in my opinion.

Congrats Brett. Awesome truck. I've always been impressed by the world class fit and finish of the F-150s.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 1:54pm
When the market gets competitive the customer wins.

Gary, It would be fun but I guess that's why we leave trucks stock and buy go fast cars to play with ;).

Case in point, a pretty blue convertible Mustang :).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 2:12pm

good read.Planet EB thread
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 2:45pm
Definitely a good thread. But I liked the statement one guy made nearer end that most people that actually have them love them while guys with "friends" who supposedly have one seem to have the issues.

But Zach, I don't know about that "leaving a truck stock" stuff. I'd be going this route with a new 5.0 See link from Tim below.

My Excursion (V-10 gas powered-ouch) is at 190,000 now and I'm getting closer to entering the new truck market...............

ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 3:09pm
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 3:10pm
Reid my v 10 excursion is at 180k and if i keep changing my oil between 10 and 12k miles as i have since new i'm thinking i can get 300k out of it
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic