NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a new truck

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a new truck
    Posted: September-04-2013 at 7:22pm
So in order for me to keep my vehicle allowance at work I need to keep my car/truck w/in 5 model years. They never really enforced this rule until this year. I love my '08 Tundra but looks like it is time to get something new.
My requirements: Crew Cab, 4x4, V8, mid-line trim level. Don't care if it's Chevy/GMC/Dodge/Ford. I'm ruling out the Toyotas now as they have just gotten too damn expensive. Dodge seems to be the best bang for the buck and I really like the new body style. I'm trying to stay right around the $30-33k mark.
   Since I'm in the wholesale plumbing business I get beat up every day by contractors wanting a better price. I was thinking about just sending my requirements in to various dealerships' Internet Dept and have myself a little auction. Kind of how the plumbing contractors send their bid list to every wholesaler in town looking for the cheapest quote to buy from. Has anyone done anything like this? I absolutely hate going to dealerships and having to barter with the henchmen. My dad always told me that if you don't walk out at least once you're not getting the best deal. I've pretty much stood true to that and always felt that I got a good deal, but I've got better things to do with my weekends than haggle with a car salesman, then the sales manager, then the GM. It always comes to that and there has to be a better way. I'd rather be out skiing! Now I just want it over and it hasn't even begun.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 7:45pm
Brett,

Your father is correct, but things have changed with the internet. Basically, their is enough info on the net concerning new car pricing that you can almost determine the cost, to the dealer, before walking on the lot. I realize that I am not answering your question, but I am just trying to give some in-site.

I would take a hard look at a two year old machine. Let someone else take the hit by driving it off of the lot. Get rid of it every three years instead of five. What would Dave Ramsey do?

Just one fart and that new car smell is gone.

JMO,

Donald
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

I was thinking about just sending my requirements in to various dealerships' Internet Dept and have myself a little auction. Kind of how the plumbing contractors send their bid list to every wholesaler in town looking for the cheapest quote to buy from. Has anyone done anything like this?

I highly recommend Fighting Chance. I used it when I bought my 4Runner. The only 2 times I had to go to a dealership were when I test drove one, and when I signed the paperwork on a deal we had already negotiated. The package will walk you all the way through the whole process and give you all the info you need- lots of insight and useful tips on strategy, timing, etc. Also model specific info- sales figures, rebates- things that will give you an advantage. Good stuff.

I wouldnt rule out the Tundra just yet if you liked your '08 that much. Check Edmunds.com and see what the invoice price is on the model you want- plan on paying invoice +/- a few hundred bucks, less any applicable rebates. That will be the worst case scenario... using the method above may also get you a deal way better than that.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 8:00pm
Donald, I originally thought about that but I was talking with my buddy who also works for the same company and he brought up 2 very good points. 1.) I'd have to get rid of a 2 year old truck in only 3 years since I need to keep it within 5 model years. 2.) I will be financing a large portion of the vehicle and many automakers are offering 0.0% financing right now which negates a large portion of that money saved by buying used. It is impossible (so far that I've found) to find financing on a used vehicle at zero percent.

Tim, thanks for the link, I will check that out tonight!

I guess I also need to look into our "X-Plan" more as well. We have pretty big corporate buying power and I believe have X-Plans with most major auto manufacturers. Problem is so far the manufacturer and dealer incentives on 2013's since it is end of year for them may be better than our x-plan gives.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 8:21pm

Tim, thanks for the link, I will check that out tonight!

Brett, be aware that the website will give you some basic information about the the "new car buying package" they want to sell you. The information in that package is well worth their fee ($40). It saved me a LOT of hassle and I ended up paying more than $1k below invoice (not including rebates) for a truck that I special ordered... more than $7k less than MSRP.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 8:57pm
For what it's worth, I drove Dodge products for over 3/4 of a million miles. Then a friend in the GMC business talked me into it. I like their trucks. If you don't carry a tremendous amount of weight (mounted toolboxes?) you can do with a 1500 with a 5.3 V8. I thought it would be wimpy pulling boats, but not so. And without a boat I average 16+ MPG. And I probably have 500 pounds of tools in the boxes.
Art
"Art"
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 9:35pm
Tim, GREAT website. I'm glad I took the time to read through everything. $40 seems like a small price to pay to save a lot more. Stace and I will go this Sunday and test drive a few different trucks so I can narrow down the make that I really want, then I'll fill out the package and send in and let the fun begin!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 12:56pm
Bret, You are probably going to want to look at the Express Trim level. That will hit your price range but miss out on some creature comforts like the in door storage yadda yadda yadda. You have to check off options at that level like the remote entry group, luxury interior group( it not vinyl seats). And convenience group (power windows and such). Express comes automatically with the Hemi, monochromatic paint scheme, and 20" painted silver wheels. I would recommend opting for the 3.92 axle ratio for towing and economy.

The base interior on the 13+ trucks is much more appealing to the eye than if my truck were an express.

My best friend has a beautiful mineral grey 13 express ram. He averages between 18.5 and 19.5 highway (4x4) and says his economy light is rarely if ever on. It has the 3.55 rear end. I believe the 3.92 makes the engine work quite a bit less hard thus returning better fuel economy by means of the engine being able to operate in cylinder deactivation mode. When I am on the highway unless I have a heavy head wind the eco light rarely goes off.

I had some stupid warranty issues when it was newer but that was mostly because most techs ad dealerships suck. Biggest annoyance of ownership has been the rattles in the front door panels. The new panels do not have the same joints at the ones in my truck so the rattles shouldn't be an issue.

Replaced one idler pulley and one rear sliding window switch. So 40 bucks worth of parts so far.

You will love the operation of the Ram. Drives and rides so nice. The VVT Hemi has loads of low end torque. I got on the highway and did about a 75 mile run last weekend with some small grades and it never shifted out of OD one time. That's why I used to hate towing gas was all the gear hunting but the new generation Hemi has made it a much better experience.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 2:14pm
Zach, I really like the new Ram trucks. Plan right now is to test drive the Ram, F-150, and Silverado this Sunday. Pick which one I like best and then get set up with Fighting Chance as Tim suggested and let the bidding commence.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I was thinking about just sending my requirements in to various dealerships' Internet Dept and have myself a little auction. Kind of how the plumbing contractors send their bid list to every wholesaler in town looking for the cheapest quote to buy from. Has anyone done anything like this?

I highly recommend Fighting Chance. I used it when I bought my 4Runner. The only 2 times I had to go to a dealership were when I test drove one, and when I signed the paperwork on a deal we had already negotiated. The package will walk you all the way through the whole process and give you all the info you need- lots of insight and useful tips on strategy, timing, etc. Also model specific info- sales figures, rebates- things that will give you an advantage. Good stuff.

I wouldnt rule out the Tundra just yet if you liked your '08 that much. Check Edmunds.com and see what the invoice price is on the model you want- plan on paying invoice +/- a few hundred bucks, less any applicable rebates. That will be the worst case scenario... using the method above may also get you a deal way better than that.

Tim,
I'm curious. What was special order about yours. I was always told that it's very difficult to get a deal on a special order vehicle. I suppose that this website makes that possible.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 2:36pm
Very nice. Look at you new truck new boat ;).

You thinking Eco Boost? I can't stomach a V6 gas truck. I was under the impression the ECO in Eco Boost meant economy but guys towing boats are seeing like 8-10 mpg. Eeek. I grabbed right at 14.0 pulling the 2001 home last weekend.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Tim,
I'm curious. What was special order about yours. I was always told that it's very difficult to get a deal on a special order vehicle. I suppose that this website makes that possible.

It was special order because they knew TRBenj was the purchaser. He has special super powers.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 2:47pm

Tim,

Extra large Makeup mirrors, Tampon dispenser, Pink accents throughout and one of those fury steering wheel covers
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Tim,

Extra large Makeup mirrors, Tampon dispenser, Pink accents throughout and one of those fury steering wheel covers

^^^Exactly! After I saw CQ's ride, I had to have me one just like it!

Nothing really "special" about my truck- I just wanted it configured in a way that did not match how Toyota was grouping options in any US region. There is only a handful of ways they option vehicles, but none of them matched exactly what I wanted (SE trim, V8, sunroof, no spoiler). So, I special ordered (which was actually a "request" but thats another story) the truck. While dealerships love to sell you something that is already on their lot (since they are paying overhead/financing on everything in stock), if youre dead set on special ordering a vehicle, you still have a strong bargaining position. The dealership wont have to pay any financing or overhead on a vehicle that they turn around the day it comes in.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

^^^Exactly! After I saw CQ's ride, I had to have me one just like it!

Close, Quinner's also has heavy duty springs... only on the passenger's side.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 3:11pm
Get the EcoBoost! Zach is crazy and he's also heavily biased,....like me .   EcoBoost with 3:55 gears (it has so damn much torque that's all the gearing it needs) and you'll get 17-18 pulling that boat. Just ask Jbear's brother Bill. I drove Nautique John's Eco (3:73 gears) to CT (spent the night with Tim) and pulled back a 3800lb car in a 24' enclosed trailer and got over 10 mph (10.8). I know that's nothing to brag about, but I was hauling the mail too. With that truck/engine, it pulls so strong, you'll find yourself constantly looking in the mirror to make sure the boat's still there.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

and pulled back a 3800lb car in a 24' enclosed trailer and got over 10 mph (10.8). I know that's nothing to brag about, but I was hauling the mail too.    

Over 10 mph that was hauling!!!! half of the way with the left blinker on too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 4:43pm
Geez......I meant to say 10.8 mp"g" at 100 MPH . Uphill. Both ways.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 5:02pm
Hahah Reid generally drives the motor home in the left lane with the right blinker on.

Heavily Bias! I guess most of what I hear about eco boost trucks are all of the guys pulling 230's and G series so I would imagine it would be much better with your smaller ski.

I am a pretty strong believer still if that you get a truck or car that consistently returns awesome economy numbers you need to hang onto it. Some are more blessed than others. Or whoever stuck it together that day was less hung over than the day before!

Everyone is impressed with the towing of the eco boost like Reid said but it still sounds like your sisters Accord.... .

But I think Brett is looking to buy the best looking truck on the market too

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 5:21pm
Bret
Before I deployed I sold my truck because it didn't make sense to keep paying on a truck that was going to be 2 years older (deprecation) when I got back.
Ford has a build your own truck on their site so about 4 months before I was scheduled to come home I built a truck all the options I wanted then sent out a copy via internet to all the dealers within 50 mile of my home.
I told them I was deployed and didn’t have time or resources to go back and forth on price and that I wanted it on the lot ready to be picked up the first week I got home. I told each dealer that I sent the info to several dealers and that they had “ONE” shot at the best price and that whoever had the best price was going to sell that truck.
I feel it worked great when I got all the different bids I ended up saving quite a chunk on the truck.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Hahah Reid generally drives the motor home in the left lane with the right blinker on.

OOOP....... that would be me!

I've been %$#!% slapped several times for busting over the 65mph precedence that the owner set!    
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 6:08pm
HAhaha! Does he have a monitor on his cell phone that goes off if you breach 65 mph?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 10:04pm
Zach, for some reason and I can't figure out how he does it, but he knows the sound of how many RPM's the engine is turning above 65 headin down the road. I mean it's not like there is a Holman Moody under the hood!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 10:16pm
Hey it's just that people have learned to pay attention when you drive
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 10:26pm
What'da ya sayin' Gary?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 12:20am
I'm really not quite the speed nazi that Tim makes me out to be, however when you're wheeling around a 9000+ lb V10 powered bread truck with any size boat behind it, you'll find your life-long driving style can indeed change to quieten a screaming wallet. Since we were so anxious to get to Tim's however, I actually lifted the self-imposed governor from 60 to 65, so going up we managed 9.0 mpg and 8.? on ride home. Ouch!!

ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 12:33am
Oh, and I hate it when Zack is right but I concur that the Ram is the best looking truck out there, but most know I'm a Mopar fan also. And further good news i just read is that the larger 6.4 Hemi (410 hp) is now available along with the small diesel previously available only in the Jeeps I believe it said. But just for fun you do need to drive an EcoBoost (with ear muffs to hide the Accord exhaust of course) with any sized boat behind it to get a feel for the ridiculous low rpm diesel-like torque it puts out.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 10:36am
dodge is the best looking truck out there if you like the 1951 chevy passenger car grille stuck jammed into a four wheel drive cordoba .. so Reid what car did you haul home in the trailer? something good?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 10:45am
Haha a 4WD Cordoba! Redneck follies???

Reid, I have known for a long time the 6.4 was on the horizon for the truck. I am interested in a diesel but being a hotrodder I just may call up the Chrysler dealer and order a regular cab 2wd 6.4 Half ton
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 11:59am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

.. .. so Reid what car did you haul home in the trailer? something good?

Why a classic 1979 Chrysler Cordoba of course, "with fine Corinthian leather". (most likely only the older guys remember that commercial)
Actually, and I honestly wasn't baiting someone to ask, but back in December I did finally get Laurie's approval to break down and spring for my long desired middle age crisis-mobile, a 5800 mile, 2011 Shelby GT 500 rag top. I wish it was a 1968 but I'll have to make it another 55 yrs for that. Anyway it's in perfect condition and until I got caught in a very brief shower it hadn't even been run in the rain yet and hasn't been since. It's a blast to drive and I'm loving it.

Zach, you really need that truck! And I'll definitely need a ride in it.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic