Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 10>
Author
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 3:19am
Glass and foam is bedded in bow. Cut some sheet fiberglass and made my first Rondo bulkhead. Came out great, very easy.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 10:41am
You'll be very happy you put in a ski platform, such an awesome improvement to my 1970, honestly it also looks natural to the boat even if it's after market. Look into getting extra large SS washers for the bolt up. I might take mine apart again and place in even larger washers, or even better put in a 1/8" 3"x5" plate to just help with relieving stress when being on the platform. I have a strict rule, 1 person on it at a time lol.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

You'll be very happy you put in a ski platform, such an awesome improvement to my 1970, honestly it also looks natural to the boat even if it's after market.

"natural" ?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 9:01pm
I'm with you there, Pete. It's partly the rounded windshield I think- few things look as unnatural as a big honking square platform on a small, sleek, curvy boat like a Mustang.

If you're cool enough to lust after one of these small, vintage, rowdy rides, you should be man enough to be able to pull yourself from the water and over the short gunnel... And then lift your smoking hot ladyfriend into the boat as well. Platforms are fine but putting one on one of these boats is an act of a sissy.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 9:56pm
Wow.. strong words! but admittedly made me laugh!!!   
'82 Ski Tique
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 11:37pm
But my platform is curvy and sexy. Plus it already had it when we first met. Must be like a boob job, some like 'em some say they don't.

Rounded up a few more parts. Got the proper hose for the shaft log. Need to work up some kind of a spacer, the packing nut collar is a smaller diameter than the log.

I actually found a fine thread 3/4" piece of threaded rod for the bow lift. Also fine thread nuts and hardware all new!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

I actually found a fine thread 3/4" piece of threaded rod for the bow lift.

I never realized this was a problem. However, you can't walk into your local home improvement store and find it. If you posted the problem, sorry I missed the issue since I would have suggested where to get it. BTW, what grade thread rod did you end up with? Important for a lifting application!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 9:33pm
Paint is 98% GONE!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

[QUOTE=dangerwil] BTW, what grade thread rod did you end up with? Important for a lifting application!!

Grade of nuts too!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 11:58pm
I got both bulkheads laminated in and fit the air and wiring pipes through. Next is battery box. I have a pull from an old nautique that I will be converting over.

As far as the lifting hardware, I have no idea what grade it is. No way in hell I would ever lift a 45 year old boat by those rings. I took the rear one off completely. I only put the front one back on because it helps hold up the front when people walk on it. If I sell it I will tell the next owner the same.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:29am
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

You'll be very happy you put in a ski platform, such an awesome improvement to my 1970, honestly it also looks natural to the boat even if it's after market. Look into getting extra large SS washers for the bolt up. I might take mine apart again and place in even larger washers, or even better put in a 1/8" 3"x5" plate to just help with relieving stress when being on the platform. I have a strict rule, 1 person on it at a time lol.

I'm torn between platform and no platform. Grew up without platform and just the ladder on our SN. As an adult bought a '76 that a PO added a platform on and whoa, life got easier. Way easier to slip into my bindings while on platform and makes a great location to put the cerveza cooler when you have a full boat. No platform is way more vintage looking but I think the platform is a non original item I'll have to stick with.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

Paint is 98% GONE!

Did you use any chemical stripper or did you grind all of the paint off? Are you putting new gel on the boat or going to sand, buff & polish? What was the condition of the Gel under the paint?

I have a lot of questions because my SN has also been painted.
Looks great, keep up the good work.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:32pm
Sand, sand sand,sand... I tried stripper but that paint was EVIL. Strippers didn't even touch it. I burned up 2 harbor freight electric da palm sanders and the black and decker I just bought from Wal Mart is on its last legs. I clogged up 3 disposable respirators from HF. I tried every kind of sandpaper. Gator grit is total crap. The best sandpaper I found was called Sandblaster from 3M. I found it at Wal Mart. Expensive but worth it.

Surprisingly the gel coat is in decent condition for 45 years old. I doubt it would polish out ever again. There have been plenty of chips and spider cracks, but overall I think it will make a good substrate for the new gel coat. After all the little blemishes are ground out and filled with fiberglass and chop strand, I will shoot all new gel coat, top to bottom.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 6:06pm

'82 Ski Tique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 8:23pm
Bill, are you saying that the original gel was dark blue on the deck and light blue on the hull? What an oddball combo, never seen that before?

You might want to buff it out as-is before you go through all the trouble of re-gelling... a few patina cracks dont look so bad and are almost imperceptible when the rest of the gel is shining real nice!
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 3:28pm
Yeah that ain't gonna buff out...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 3:50pm
Wow, Ive never seen a light blue/dark blue combo before. Weird! Hows the hull look?
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 5:19pm
Hull is not bad, still lots of little things to patch. There is a 67 Mustang for sale in the diaries that has the exact same color combination, in NH.

Just picked up some 3/4 ac fir for the floor. Whoooo.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 6:39pm
The dark blue on the NH boat is (metal flake) paint, can't remember if the gel underneath is taffy or light blue.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 8:51pm
After a long day of work, the battery box is in and the piping is ready for epoxy.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 10:02pm
damn that looks like a lot of work, but it's coming along nicely. I know who to call if I ever need to replace my stringers.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 12:17am
Pulled a 3 day marathon from can till can't. Got a ton of stuff done. Most visual is all the nice little Rondo bulkheads. Went through a gallon of resin, a gallon of bondo and who knows how much chop strand and sheet fiberglass.

A few little fixes and it should be time to gelcoat the bilge.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 12:37am
Well today I brought home a heavy load. Its put away nice and safe in it's storage area now.

Also here is a pic in better lighting of the rondo bulkheads.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 9:38pm
I have had minimal time for boat work lately. I did manage to get the boat off the trailer and on to some stands. I have all teh welding done, I think.

New winch stand, fender mounts with steps, rear straightened with new crossmember, new tailights with mounts/step covers.

Would anyone have any interest in buying the trailer jack? Might be original, I think I am going to go with a swing jack.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 10:23pm
Winch Stand!!!??
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 11:32pm
Absolutely a winch! Just takes 1 time coming back to the ramp with a dead engine to understand.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 4:21pm
The trailer is ready for powdercoat next week. I managed to do some work under the boat. Ground out and filled spider cracks and some hull damage.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 11:46pm
I haven't been feeling great lately, so I have just been doing minimal trailer work. Got my 540 in today and all I can say is OOOOHHH Shiny....

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 11:57pm
Im interested in the jack if its original.Could you post a picture of the front of the jack by the handle and also where it mounts to the trailer thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2014 at 1:07am
Trbenj has claimed the jack. Now I just need to ship it...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic