Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine identification problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine identification problems
    Posted: August-09-2013 at 11:56am
Hi new to the forum and I could use some help,

I recently purchased a 1981 Ski Nautique. According to the PO it is all original. All the equipment is there, just in sad shape. It was left uncovered on a trailer in the Florida weather since 1995!

The engine is marked:

Commander FORD 351. casting number above starter 77AY-6015-AA   
intake manifold casting D7JE-0425-8A
water pump D3JE-8505-AA

Transmission plate Red model 10-17-001 1:1

My question is what motor do I have? I have removed it from the boat and have almost torn it apart completely to send to the machine shop. I do not know how to determine rotation. I need to purchase a complete rebuild gasket kit to get it back together and I am not sure which kit to buy 351W? Also need starter/alt/etc......

Which transmission model? 70C or 71C and rotation?

The stringers need to be done. Pulling the floor now. Looks like secondaries have been partially repaired or possibly spliced in the past. I will know more when the floor is up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to attach pics for the last two hours. They are too big!! Hopefully photo bucket album went through!

Thanks, Rex
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:04pm
Welcome to the club Rex. As you posted, your engine is the Ford 351W Commander :) This is reverse rotation. You should see a tag on the transmission as well.

Hopefully at least the engine cover was on the boat while sitting outside for 18 years!

Photobucket will be the easiest and it will give you the right size for sharing.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:05pm
Sounds like the boat was originally equipped with a 240hp Ford 351w, marinized by Commander. Rotation was undoubtedly RH (reverse rotation). Be weary of "rebuild gasket kits"... make sure you use high quality gaskets (Felpro, PCM, etc).

The transmission model number is 10-17-001 just like the tag states. It is an updated version of the 71C. The guts of the transmission are the same whether bolted to a RH or LH engine, but the pump must be indexed properly. Dont forget to replace the damper while its apart... I recommend the Alta (Sachs) from ebasicpower for $90.

Try resizing photos on your computer before attempting to post or upload to photobucket. Microsoft paint can do one file at a time, but Microsoft photo editor can do them in batches. Those are basic programs that have come on all PC's for the last 10+ years.

I recommend adding a more specific location to your forum profile so people know where youre from... you might get local help/knowledge.
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:14pm
Thanks for the quick responses!! Yes the engine cover was in place. After removing the oil pan the engine looks pristine. I will edit my specific info now.
Hopefully this link will go through for some pics.

http://s481.photobucket.com/user/rapok4/library/First%20Coast%20Kids%20Triathlon
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:16pm
arghhhhh...lets try this

http://s481.photobucket.com/user/rapok4/library/
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:31pm
Use the IMG tags. Click on the BBCodes link below to see how to use the tags, or view the "Image and video help" link in my signature to see how to post them.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The transmission model number is 10-17-001 just like the tag states. It is an updated version of the 71C.

LOL I missed that.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 2:32pm
OK,
Thanks for the guidance.
Just looked at the transmission pump. According to the 71-C manual it is Left Hand Rotation.

Does this mean the engine is Left Hand rotation?

Thanks, Rex

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 3:01pm
Rotation of engine with a 1:1 ratio trans = rotation of prop. is your prop stamped LH or RH?
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 3:22pm
There is no rotation stamped. I understand that prop rotation is not an accurate way to determine engine rotation.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by rapok4 rapok4 wrote:

There is no rotation stamped. I understand that prop rotation is not an accurate way to determine engine rotation.

True, if you have a gear reduction transmission.   A 1:1 Borg warner transmission rotates the prop the same as the engine.
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 5:32pm
OK, here is a shot of the prop. LH or RH?

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 5:43pm
Right Rotation
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 5:59pm
This leads me back to my original problem. Thanks to TRBeng i know the transmission is an updated 71-C. According to the shop manuaI the transmission is configured in Left Hand Rotation. The 71-C manual says it should match the engine rotation.

The prop is Right rotation.

I am sorry to be so confused.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 6:34pm
My eyes suck worse than my monitor. In the trans pic, is the arrow pointing at? or away from the P in the word TOP?
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 6:39pm
What arrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad had to go get the bifocals to look!

Arrow points towards the P.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 6:42pm
RH rotation is now confirmed.
That puts the flywheel rolling clockwise when viewed from behind.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 6:51pm

OK,
Thanks for the guidance.
Just looked at the transmission pump. According to the 71-C manual it is Left Hand Rotation.

Does this mean the engine is Left Hand rotation?

Thanks, Rex

If that picture is the way the pump was removed from the transmission then yes, that would indicate it was set up for left hand rotation.

Looking at the stern of the boat, if the long casting on the pump cover is pointed down and to the right (4 o'clock position)its a LH rotation setup, if the long casting is pointed up and to the left (10 o'clock position) its setup for RH rotation.

The prop you have is a RH rotation prop. Don't know how a LH rotation engine works with a Rh rotation prop, but I can guess not so well.
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 7:10pm
I just pulled the engine and transmission. It was a beast to separate. I have not changed a thing.

Is there any chance the prop was replaced backwards?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 7:21pm
Well if it's going to a machine shop, technically it does not matter what is was or is. You want it to end up right hand rotation. Get the crank out and post some pictures of where the main seal runs,that is the only rotation specific part that has to be reused and hard to find.If it is the right one you need them to grind it rather than use one already reground. By the looks of the trans's input shaft the seal will need to be replaced and a speedi sleeve installed on the shaft too,that thing has leak written all over it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 7:30pm
Leak, hahahahaha it was under a foot of rain water when I got it.

This was after I pulled the rear floor!!!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 7:50pm
Rex,
I too welcome you to CCfan, I'm glad you found it. You will find plenty of useful info and plenty of great threads. It looks like you will need some help with that 81!   

It looks like you will need all the stringers replaced and it's recommended. There are several fantastic threads on doing the job but still, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Keep the pictures coming - we love them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 9:16pm
Thank you for all the help. Just to clarify Gary S;

Go ahead and make the engine and transmission RH rotation. Easy enough,everything is going to be completely rebuilt anyway.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 10:19pm

Go ahead and make the engine and transmission RH rotation. Easy enough,everything is going to be completely rebuilt anyway.

Right Rex. It was right rotation new and since you need a rebuild might as well do it again as a right hander. The camshaft controls the rotation and you'd want a new one anyway. And like I said post a picture of the cranks seal area and we can go from there,alot of things could have happened since 81! With the dampner end of the crank facing away from you a right hand crank will have these marks on the seal area \\\\\\,as the crank spins to the right they throw the oil back away from the seal. A left handed crank ie all car and trucks,have the marks this way ////// and when turned to the right,pull the oil thru the seal making a mess in the bottom of the boat. There might be ones with no marks but I'm not sure about that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

The prop you have is a RH rotation prop. Don't know how a LH rotation engine works with a Rh rotation prop, but I can guess not so well.

LOL I would guess not.

Rex, I hope you got a good deal on that bathtub!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 10:59pm
Mark, you are 180* wrong.
Go look at the manual.
Its set up RH. Always was.
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 1:08am
Actually got a very good deal....wife agreed to a project!!!!
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 10:58am
I know it had to be a RH rotation setup but;

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 11:24am
Mark
If you go to the reference section on this site and find the B/W velvet drive installation manual and look at page 3 you'll find some interesting semi confusing reading. Make sure you're looking at the installation manual.

The easiest way to get this straight is that the arrow on the pump needs to be pointing in the direction the engine rotates(when it's at the top position) or it won't work at all. You can ignore all the RH/LH stuff and the arrow works. If the arrow is pointing the wrong way, you rotate the pump so the other arrow is at the top.

The one in the picture is set for a reverse rotating engine like Baitkiller pointed out

Ken O
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 3:04pm
Ken O

I work overnight in the ER so I am a bit groggy!!

I am now confused! I am looking in the B/W manual page 42 Fig 68 the Left picture looks like my transmission pump. So is it set up for Right or Left?

I can not find marking other than TOP with an arrow pointing at the P

Rex

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic