Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt40 fcc stuck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wtrskir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtrskir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt40 fcc stuck
    Posted: July-13-2013 at 3:59pm
Hi, I've got a 97 SN GT40 with around 500 hours on it. I've put about 150 hours on it since I bought it. I went to replace the filter in the FCC and I can't get it open! I read where they can be tight from the factory but this is ridiculous. I can't budge it with any kind of oil wrench. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it and possibly break it. Any ideas?
Thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2013 at 9:12pm
The only answer I've heard of is the BACLs. _ _ Channel Locks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004SBCX/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2013 at 11:41pm
Pack it in dry ice? Maybe it will shrink & loosen up.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2013 at 11:59pm
There is a plumber's tool called a chain wrench that is designed to hold larger pipe and fittings. It's an incredibly simple tool, and I've never failed to get an FCC off with it. That's many dozens or maybe hundreds. Mine has about a 10-inch long handle. I got it at Sears.

Put the wrench right at the bottom of the FCC, where it is the strongest. You will need to have someone with a crowbar or something similar to help back up the bracket so that you don't bend the bracket. Don't forget that it's right-hand thread, so being inverted, you are going to turn it clockwise looking at it from above.

When you reassemble, grease the thread and the 0-ring real well and don't overtighten it. Makes life easier next time. Cycle the key a few times to pump the FCC full before you try to start up.

Art
"Art"
wtrskir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtrskir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 12:41am
Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll be heading to Sears this week to get a chain wrench.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 12:51am
Screw the chain wrench. Big Channelocks FTW.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 1:03pm
We all have the privilege of expressing our opinions. What I have against the chan-nel-locks is that they might egg-shape the can, while the chain grips it 360 degrees and there is less chance of damage. Not that I've never done the pliers in a pinch.
Art
"Art"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 2:30pm
Art,
I'm with you on the chain wrench since it does grip almost the complete circumference on the can.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 2:27pm
best way is to remove it from the boat, put the can in a vice, and use a 3' pipe or angle iron b/w the bolts on the lid...some super human strength was used to install these at the factory...
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 4:24pm
Heat it with a torch?

I got lucky. Mine came off with an truck oil filter wrench and a whole lot of cursing. Please don't take that torch idea too seriously.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 9:37am
Good morning all, I know this is a super old thread, but had a question on how to "back up the bracket with a crowbar". Where would I place the crowbar while trying to turn the fcc? I am going to tackle removing my fcc this weekend and have a new chain wrench. I tried previously with a strap wrench and it wouldn't budge, hopefully some tape around the canister and the chain will do the trick. Thanks in advance for the help. TJ.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 10:38am
I used a big-ass aluminum pipe wrench.  Like a 30" or 36” bad-boy.  Duct tape on the FCC for protection.  Easy-Peasy

JQ.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 11:18am
TJ.....Next door neighbor and I had the very same issue with his 03 SN. We used everything we had to get that sucker loose on the boat to no avail. Finally got tired of wrestling with it and he removed it from the boat but it in a vise and soaked the threads with Knock-R-Loose for a couple days and was able to finally get it off. Gorillas musta tightened that thing on. Definitely needed changed as it smelled really bad. Probably had never been changed.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 12:43pm
JQ, thanks for the advise on the pipe wrench and the tape, sounds like these can be a challenge.

Tim, hope you are well, been a while. Hopefully I dont have to remove it, but good to know that soaking it and pulling it worked as a last resort. I have a 15" chain wrench and can put a cheater on it if needed. It doesn't sound like it will hurt it to put some back into it tugging on that part.

I do not know if the fuel filter has ever been changed on my 2000. I have not done it, so it is time. Going to have a go on Saturday.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 7:25pm
Here's a link to a CCF thread that in the first post about 1/2 way down has a YouTube link to someone changing his filter. 

It'll give you an idea of what's inside the FCC along with showing him unscrewing the canister and putting things back together..

One thing to watch out for is the short fuel line from the pump. You don't want to twist or kink it when reassembling things. People have done that and it made for an engine that didn't run because fuel couldn't pass through it from the pump.

If you're replacing the hose and using Oetiker clamps like he did in the video, you should really use Oetiker clamp pliers that are made for the job. You get a better "squeeze" on the clamp
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 10:26pm
Thanks KENO, the visual was super helpful. I need to watch it a few more times.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2022 at 7:17pm
Make sure your turning it the correct way, this has happened in the past.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 10:09am
Got the canister off, any suggestions on putting something on the threads to keep them from seizing up so bad. I have some never seized compound for steel pipe, but wasn't sure that would be appropriate.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 10:29am
Permatex anti-seize 80078 (or similar) on the threads.  Good to go.  Mine gets done today and that’s what I’m using.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 10:03pm
Thanks JQ. Quick trip to Autozone and I was able to get a can of Permatex and finish things up before lunch.

I used a Crescent 15" chain wrench, to get the FCC off. Prior to that I tried a cheap strap wrench, which did nothing. Before using the chain wrench I did cover the top part of the fcc with a layer of painter's tape and two layers of duck tape. This did prevent scrapes where the chain was. It helped some where the wrench teeth were. There are 2 small marks where the wrench teeth bit, no big deal. Boat ran well after the change and the old filter and gas that came out of the fcc were filthy. It was well worth the effort.

Thanks again everyone for the help and information, without it I would not have been able to complete the change.

Hopefully the warm weather is here to stay, looking forward to a ski soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic