NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First run of the year!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First run of the year!
    Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:13pm
So, because of all the cold we had because of global warming, I have waited far too long to get the boat in this season.

Finally, yesterday, I took her out. What a gem I have. Boat ran great, sounded great, everything went well. It was worth the sun burn.

But I do have a question. What size wrenches do I need for the packing gland? I tried like hell to adjust it without removing the floor but failed. I was using pipe wrenches.

I'm hoping the weather fools are wrong about this weekend's rain. I'd love to go out on Saturday.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:34pm
Caliper, micrometer, ruler, tape measure. All wonderful, wonderful instruments. Put the pipe wrenches away...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Caliper, micrometer, ruler, tape measure. All wonderful, wonderful instruments. Put the pipe wrenches away...

None of that would have helped me loosen the nut, tighten the gland and then secure the nut.

It was dripping too much, I needed to slow it down.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 9:24pm
Better take it to the dealer!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 9:43pm
Two of these work great. They are called slip nut wrenches. Typically you do not want to tighten the packing nut with a wrench. By hand is good. If the dripping is still too excessive, repack. Use the wrenches for breaking the jam nut loose and tightening it back down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 10:23pm
Hollywood, as big a tool as you are being maybe he could use you to tighten it.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 11:29pm
Same question: Hadda cut my handles short to get under my Century v-drive; but with limited space, rising water and no visibility other than a mirror, had no luck getting a decent grip and they wouldn't budge. Likewise, on the Southwind even Morfoot could't get them to budge, said he had some better wrenches at home and maybe the floor panel has to come out. Is there a better wrench out there than the standard slipnut wrench?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 11:47pm
I homemade a set - looks somewhat like the adjustable wrench that Pete displayed, except the handle is at 45 degrees. Nothing fancy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 12:24am
Larry, he needs to loosen the nut, not tighten it!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 2:11pm

The tape is just to cover my bad welds!

I made 2, they are slightly different sizes, one for nut & other for the gland.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Two of these work great. They are called slip nut wrenches. Typically you do not want to tighten the packing nut with a wrench. By hand is good. If the dripping is still too excessive, repack. Use the wrenches for breaking the jam nut loose and tightening it back down.

Hey, look at that, a reasoned, helpful answer.

And not to worry, once I broke the jam nut loose, I did tighten the packing gland by hand. The wrench on the packing glad was just for stabilization. 1 turn or so and the dripping was perfect.

Thanks for your HELP...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 1:00am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Hollywood, as big a tool as you are being maybe he could use you to tighten it.

Nah, then I would have to remove even more of the floor....and the boat would probably sink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic