NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please ease my concern

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please ease my concern
    Posted: January-28-2006 at 2:27pm
I'm a rookie when it comes to engines so I'm hoping somebody can ease my concern. My paranoia comes from my father-in-law's cracked block two summers ago. I had my boat (1997 Ski Nautique) winterized in November and the mechanic filled the block with 50/50 antifreeze and water. I opened the engine cover today just to check around and I was a little surprised to see some water pooling up around the drain in the bilge. Not enough to flow over the lip of the drain yet (almost), but I know it was completely dry when I put it away for the winter. Is this something to be concerned about? Could it be condensation? Is seems dry in there. I have this fear that the block has a little crack in it and water is leaking out. The boat is covered (carport and cover) and dry, except for a little concensation on the seats and pylon. Thanks for your input.
Ryan
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 2:34pm
My money's on condensation. Regardless, nothing you can do about it now anyway. You took the proper precautions, so just leave it be till spring. It will be fine.

You might put a silica can (you can buy them at Home Depot), or a light bulb under the cover, just so the condensation does not turn to mildew.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 2:55pm
I wouldn't worry to much,
I'd bet on condensation &/or water that was still left in the carpet or caught up front/in the back of the bilge.
Like BKH said, I'd put in one of the condensation traps near the drain to help prevent mildew.
Come on Spring!!
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 3:38pm
I have to ask - a light bulb?? what/how/why??
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 5:43pm
A light bulb will keep it a few degrees warmer in the boat than the ambient temp, so no condensation. (condensation will form when the interior surfaces and parts are cooler than the warmer air in and around the boat, condensing the moisture out of it.)
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 7:16pm
I agree with the other guys here. What kind of antifreeze did they use and why did they mix it 50/50? I always pump in straight marine antifreeze because there is always going to be some water in the engine anyway.
Scott
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 8:05pm
Make sure everything was drained first, then the antifreeze added. If they just poured antifreeze in without draining, its possible to split something. On the positive note, I hope it isnt, and the water is from the hull. Look at the freeze plugs and see if any look like they are pushed out. You can usually tell this by the paint line on them. If all look OK, the block is prob Ok. Good luck!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 9:11pm
Jeff; Looked for the '76, still not on!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 9:14pm
   Jbear, I dont know whats going on. No replies after a week. They must be tied up or something.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 12:04am
Convo. Light bulb needs to be on. The little bit of heat emitted will act as 65 said. Some people worry about the lights. West Marine and others sell a real low drawing fan that also does the trick. The circulation does prevents condensation and mildew. Scott, they mix it 50/50 because pure antifreeze is no more effective in preventing freeze. If you look at the containers, most manufacturers suggest the proper mix, even for use in your auto.
BKH

Livin' the Dream

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 6:52am
Ryan S.,
I seriously doubt you have a cracked block

Jeff - I think my diary post took 10 days or 2 weeks to show up. ...We're looking forward to seeing it.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 7:06am
Just my opinion on this, but I use RV type Anti Freeze to winteize because it is Non Toxic and good to about -40, good even here in Upstate NY. I have seen many people use Ethylene Glycol (most green anti freeze)and end up putting it into the lake in the spring. This stuff is deadly poison and when it is just a couple of boats it is not a problem, but many becomes bad. Also extremely deadly for your pets, less than 1/2 tbspn will kill most. Watch your driveways for leaks, freinds just lost a cat due to this.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 7:44am
My70/81,
Nice post........Who doesn't want to be a little more friendly to the environment? Especially, with little skiers and dogs running around.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 4:34pm
Your boat is fine. It's condensation.
todda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 10:58pm
Hey Ryan-
I am sure that you won't have any problem with a cracked block. I bet you are right in saying that it is probably just some condensation accumulation (especially if you have a vinyl--like boat cover that holds in the moisture), and probably could be solved with some Dry-Z-Air crystals under your hood.

ALSO, I wouldn't reccommend the light bulb trick. I had a patient who did just that, light bulb cracked and he BURNED his boat right down to the trailer.   If you are super concerned, and cheap insurance, I have used a magnetic block heater before (just clips right on the block or oil pan, and radiates about 175W) and you can get them at AutoZone, CarQuest, or the like. When I had the boat outside, I used the block warmer, and it worked like a champ, and only runs about $35.

Best of luck, and I hear congrats is in order for you and Lori too!

Todd
Todd
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2006 at 7:32am
The way I winterize my boat is to switch from Rum and Coke to Hot Chocolate.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2006 at 3:49pm
J_I_H; Must be an "age" thing. Thats the same way I do mine execpt I switch off of the Beam and Diet Coke. Gotta love FLA!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic