Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What years did the offer the 4 cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

WOW there's tons of good parts on that boat!!

Don't remind me ....... Oh well, it happens sometimes, just hope someone doesn't just scrap it out.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 1:11pm
Crabman, how are things going with your boat?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 4:31pm
It's been a slow go, weddings and lots of things over the summer have taken place that I really wasn't expecting. Still been trucking along, I have low compression in Cylinder 1 and 2 so I've put a little tranny fluid in there. Working on getting the carb back to together now, it's coming just wondering is I should bought that rebuilt one ...... cheapening out trying to do it myself. Thank you for asking sir.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 5:01pm
I rebuilt mine, 1st one I ever rebuilt, engine purrs like a kitten.

Honestly all I did was rebuild it, i didn't adjust the floats, i figured it came off my 273 and had to have been running on the 273 at some point, so why should i adjust it? It's just dirty! I cleaned up everything real nice put all the new gaskets and parts back and put everything back together. Only thing i screwed up was i tried to pull out the hammered down screws on the bottom of the carb, i just drill out the ones i broke and locktited new ones right back in.

John B helped me get it timed and it works perfectly, really happy i rebuilt, i returned the $280 edelbrock i bought.

I'm sure after you rebuild it someone here could help on how to adjust it.
1970 Mustang
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 5:44pm
I ordered a rebuild kit from a place in Washington and have the updraft parts soaking in some Berrymens. Hopefully early next week I can start working on it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 10:55am
Originally posted by crabman crabman wrote:

I ordered a rebuild kit from a place in Washington and have the updraft parts soaking in some Berrymens. Hopefully early next week I can start working on it.

Ha! I think i ordered mine from that same place.

What kind of Carb do you have?

I just soaked mine in hot water, dawn and vinegar, no idea if it's correct or not, but it worked.
1970 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 10:46pm

2 ply,
That would be a Zenith carb updraft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 12:07am
I just caught this thread. WOW, lots of nice stuff here.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 3:32pm
TP~
Care to elaborate on the process you used with vinegar and dawn? Never heard of doing that before and would like to know the process. Thank you.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

2 ply,
That would be a Zenith carb updraft.

Sorry was at work when I wrote that last one, but it's actually a Carter BB-1 updraft. I initially thought it was a zenith when I first got it, but later realized it wasn't.

I'm actually boiling it as we speak on the stove with a cup of vinegar and see where I get, if that doesn't free up the one flap I'll have to soak in some berrymans or wd-40 it.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:09am
I finally had a little bit of time this weekend and got her started. Does anyone know what the compression is supposed to be off hand? Going to do some searching in the next few days.

Click Here to view the video.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:13pm
Well things have finally started to move forward. The floor is officially out and the foam is gone, actually a little harder then I thought it was going to be at first. I wasn't going to pull the motor, but decided to do so to make it a bit easier to work on with it out. I won't be cracking it, I will however clean it and try to find the paint code to get it repainted. It looks like it was a few different colors. Anyone the paint code or have a picture of the exact color it was in '65 or '66? Shown below is a picture where I would have thought the ID number would be, but not a 100% certain. What is the place good Gray Marine parts? Having the starter and alt sent out now and getting them redone. Thanks again for everyone that has helped my out behind the scenes. Always appreciated.

Also if anyone has a front bow light for sale please PM me with a price.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:18pm

What is the place good Gray Marine parts?

What parts? It's a Continental block!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:22pm
For what it's worth my Gray was some shade of red.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:38pm

I was afraid of that. Knock on wood the oil pressure was good when we ran it.   

There is some red on the flywheel (housing) and oil pan. Didn't see any on the top half though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

For what it's worth my Gray was some shade of red.

Gary,
With few exceptions, the early Gray Marines were painted gray. There were a few "higher output" engines and all the fireballs were red. Later, the 327's were painted red. Do you remember what 4 you had?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:43pm

Afraid of what? I simply asked what parts you needed. It makes a difference were I send you. So the oil pressure is good but what's the compression?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 12:07am

Afraid of what? I simply asked what parts you needed. It makes a difference were I send you. So the oil pressure is good but what's the compression?

Sorry, I took as it was hard to come by parts. I've been reading a little bit on old marine engine, but haven't seen that many places that sell parts as of (still reading) yet. Looking into the future is all, knock on wood. At some point down the road, I would like to go through it, but that is going to be 5 years or so down the road. Unfortunately we didn't get that ........ we should have.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 12:11am
It was 70 fire breathing horses I think Pete. I found a video of it running when I get home I'll get it posted.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 9:00pm

It was 70 fire breathing horses I think Pete. I found a video of it running when I get home I'll get it posted.

The basic 4 was 60 HP so you did had one of the "higher performance" Gray's and the red color would be from the factory. The 10 HP gain was from a slightly lighter flywheel and a different cam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 9:32pm

The basic 4 was 60 HP so you did had one of the "higher performance" Gray's and the red color would be from the factory. The 10 HP gain was from a slightly lighter flywheel and a different cam.

Just curious. How does a lighter flywheel translate to more hp?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Just curious. How does a lighter flywheel translate to more hp?

Back in the days the typical marine engine was based on a industrial block. Even the marine engine manufacturers who cast/made their own engines, they designed their engines from "industrial" engines. They were always long stroke high torque engines with low RPM's in today's standards. The bottom line is a lighter flywheel allows higher RPM's and higher HP's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 10:49pm
Thanks Pete. I always equated lighter flywheels with faster throttle response but not more HP. I didn't consider that these were industrial engines. Learned something today.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 10:56pm
wow that boat is my favorite color early c/c by far
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

wow that boat is my favorite color early c/c by far

Thank you Peter I actually originally thought it was Seafoam Green at first, it was a pleasant surprise after it got out of the dry heat it started to change slowly.   
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 10:41pm
Just a little update, things have been busy but it's coming along. The seats are still a work in progress, as they need a flap added to the back and the corners rounded.

Had to have a little fun over summer :)

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 12:10am
Looking great. Where did you get the white flag??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 9:18am
Thanks Gary. I got it at http://mythimbleroom.ecrater.com/ I ended up getting a cloth and nylon, as I wanted to see what one might be better. They booth look like great build quality, but thinking the cloth might flow better in the wind, I'll test them both out once I'm finally in the water.

Collen is the person I talked to, feel free to email her: haveit@charter.net

PS: She usually takes a day or two to respond.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 10:39am
Jonathan,thanks . Need to comment on that last pic too,what a keeper !
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 10:28pm

Jonathan,thanks . Need to comment on that last pic too,what a keeper !

That's Buford, he's been a great dog so far. We actually just got him about 6 months ago from someone that was getting rid of him due to not enough time to spend with him. We have another Basset named Marice (10), just glad they both love the toon.

Marcie shown below:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic