Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is HP for 94 SNOB w/Pro Boss

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is HP for 94 SNOB w/Pro Boss
    Posted: January-20-2006 at 10:48am
Can anyone help me understand the progression of engine options through the early 90's on SN.

I have a 94 SNOB with Carburated Pro Boss 5.8. The boat t*tle says 300 HP, but most postings and references in the owners manual for this engine say 285 HP.

What HP is a carburated 1994 Pro Boss 5.8l?

What is the difference between the Pro Boss and the GT-40 in terms of;

HP?
Engine components (eg; fuel injection, heads, etc)?
First year available GT-40?

Thanks.
slalomguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:15am
Mr. Clavin where are you?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:25am
I believe the base engine was the 285hp and the pro boss was 300+ which according to the brochure in the reference section you could order several ways, carb or EFI, with or with out pro tec ignition management. The GT-40 engine is a little different monster in that it had different heads and I think all of them where EFI and rated 330hp not sure completely on that though.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:48am
The base engine was 285hp on the base nautique excel and the nautique excel open bow, but it was still 240hp on the base nautique and nautique open bow. I remember this distinctly because a base 94 nautique open bow is the only cc I have ever driven that I actually felt needed a little more power..
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:49am
I'm not an engine guru (in fact I'm rather lame).

But, as I understand it, the base carburated engine in 1994 was 240 HP. There were apparently two Pro-Boss motors. One was carburated, and apparently produced 285 HP. The other was apparently throttle body injected, and produced 300 HP. The pro-boss had the high ouput or "GT-40" heads featured in the Mustang SVOs.

The engine known as the GT-40 by PCM is an EFI
engine, and is 310 HP. It was introduced in 95. They modified the manifolds in 96 to fit under a smaller engine cover. The engine was avalable through 2002, when ford got out of the marine engine business.

The current most popular engine in new Nautiques, is a Chevy Excalibur, and it is 330 HP.

BTW, David F has a 94 with a Pro-Boss, and he has had a heck of a time determining what HP it is rated.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 12:50pm
So carburated you think 285 HP? I wonder if CC could/would provide info about HP at time of sale?

I'm sure it's more than 240 HP. It doesn't seem under powered in the least. We slalom with it alot and it pulls out of the hole about as hard as my buddies 2000 Malibu which I know is 300+ HP.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 12:52pm
If you could pull some numbers off of the engine I'm sure PCM could tell you exactly what HP it has. Not sure that contacting CC would help any but both are worth a shot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 1:01pm
My best bud had a 90 with the 240HP. That boat
could rip your arms out.

Still if yours says pro boss, it must be at least 285. You might do a search under DavidF. He
has the throttle body injected, but he did some research to try and get a definitive HP answer.

I agree with 79 in that PCM would probably be more helpful than CC if you can provide the numbers off your engine.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 1:24pm
The 94 Correct Craft literature says that the optional engines were Pro Boss 300+ hp, and Pro Tec EFI (no horsepower listed). The only mention of a 285 horsepower is as the standard engine in the excels. Not that the cataloges haven't been wrong before, but by 1994 they were usually pretty definitive.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 1:46pm
The way I took the brochure was that they both EFI or carb versions where rated at the 300+. Concidering that the cam, heads and intake runners are going to have more effect on overall HP and you could bolt on a TBI or a carb to the same intake so the only thing that would be different besides the TBI/carb would be the fuel pump which realy doesn't increase or decrease HP. It was my understanding that the 240hp was the older 351W say mid 80's and older and in later yrs they where all 285hp. I would asume that they made a cam change during a model yr change on the base engine then came the pro boss models then GT-40 motor so 285hp, 300hp, 310hp accordingly. .02
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 2:09pm
Joes right, the 94 brochure shows 240HP as the
standard engine for all but the Excel. Page
19 of the brochure.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 2:29pm
i have a 1994 sn closed bow, with the same motor 5.8 l pro boss ho carb'd.....previous owner(a friend) said pleasure craft informed him it was 300 horsepower.......t*tle says 300hp.......i have a 1994 brochure and it says base motor is 240..the pro boss is 300+..doesnr matter carb'b or tbi.......the pro boss has the gt 40 heads in them, different cams which make the difference(at least thats what i was told)...id say its every bit of 300 hp....neighbor has a mastercraft with 285 hp, and mine is faster, he even agrees! my .02
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic