Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair 1985 2001 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 10>
Author
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I would, you're going to build a new one with the the new stringer. It sounds like you're adding a bit of work to the process. Get the stringer cut and figure out where you want it, bed it in some epoxy and faire out the transitions to the hull then cover it in fiberglass. No need wrap it first or do anything other than some CPES before it goes into the boat.

Thanks TX ~~~ I was doing some extra work there. I'm going to finish the grinding out tonight, clean everything up really well, and start bedding stringers in the AM.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 9:16pm
Grind all new bonding surfaces until you see some glass. You do NOT want to bond to the decorative gel in the bilge.
I mentioned this before!!!!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jonathan,
You what to grind down until you are close to the original glass. Don't forget the wood reinforcements on the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:38am
Bedding Filler Preferences?

Okay ~ I've seen all of these used
1. Fiberglass Mat (trimmed to the dimensions of the bottom of the stringer)
2. 1/32 Milled Fiber
3. Aerosil-Cabosil

I have all 3 solutions represented in my purchase. Which one do you recommend?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:54am

Grind all new bonding surfaces until you see some glass. You do NOT want to bond to the decorative gel in the bilge.
I mentioned this before!!!!

Jonathan,
You what to grind down until you are close to the original glass. Don't forget the wood reinforcements on the transom.

I've got all the gelcoat off in the bilge, BUT I did forget to grind the wood reinforcements in the transom. Thanks for the reminder!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 8:46pm

My new Starboard side secondary stringer (all 4 coats of CPES, individually fiberglassed pieces, and bonded together with epoxy, etc. was a complete waste of time.

The stringer was 1.5 inches too short, and would not hug the floor like it did before I glued it together. I planed, sanded, etc., for about an hour. Then I made the best decision I could under the circumstances: I threw the stringer out of the boat with all the force I could muster, and followed as quickly as possible with the sledge hammer. After a surprisingly large number of blows, the stringer was reduced to kindling, and I felt better.

Thankfully, the same side main stringer fits like a glove. What should I bed it with? I've seen 3 different things used (mat, milled fiber, etc.)>

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:37pm
I see you're learning the process well.

Unfortunately that's probably not the last time something like that will happen.

Making epoxy goop is easy, any of those things work, I don't think you can make it too thick. The glass fabric may hold it in place. I can't seem to ever get it thick enough and may try that next time. Sorry I'm not much help here, I generally have to just sand and grind things to the shape I want.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:42pm
Soooooooo ~ the more I work on this project, the damage I seem to do.

I was trying to really "clean" out that groove that the secondary stringer buts into ~ with hopes of being in a position to attach it tomorrow. I did a really good job too.

Obviously this has to be addressed before I go in with the secondary. I was thinking some fiberglass mat and a few layers of cloth tape, but the area is in the middle of the seam (and really narrow).

What to do?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:42pm
Soooooooo ~ the more I work on this project, the more damage I seem to do.

I was trying to really "clean" out that groove that the secondary stringer buts into ~ with hopes of being in a position to attach it tomorrow. I did a really good job too.

Obviously this has to be addressed before I go in with the secondary. I was thinking some fiberglass mat and a few layers of cloth tape, but the area is in the middle of the seam (and really narrow).

What to do?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:02pm
Resin, cloth, resin, repeat!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Should I epoxy something to the 'inside' that would give it a little firmness, and then make the repair from the outside?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Should I epoxy something to the 'inside' that would give it a little firmness, and then make the repair from the outside?

Absolutely not!

Get under there with some tape.. apply the tape on the bottom to keep your repair from the top from dripping through. Use your flap disk to enlarge the area around the oops.. and taper the edges of the new area so you can apply increasingly larger layers of resin coated glass from the inside.... do this until your final layer is at least as high as the surrounding glass ( a coat or two overlapping the repair and the existing glass cant hurt since it will be unseen) and then go about your live. When you remove the tape from the bottom it will be smooth and ready to go.. no harm no foul.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 6:37pm
Good catch Joe - I didn't see that it was a deep groove. I have heard a 8:1 bevel is recommended on repairs.

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:06pm
I wish this hole was on the floor, but it's located in the transom (between the exhaust port and the speed sensor ~ where the secondary stringer is bonded to the transom. There is a ton of stuff to work around back there.....

With that information, do you still think working from the inside would be the easiest approach?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:14pm
YES.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

With that information, do you still think working from the inside would be the easiest approach?

+3 with Joe and Tim. The gel on the outside is only for looks. Much like drywall,repair the structure,"spackle" the gelcoat from the outside sand and buff.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 3:13pm
I've got the Starboard Side Main Stinger bedded. I used Epoxy and milled fiber ~ to a peanut butter consistency. I thought it went well.

I continued my milled fiber approach when I did the seams but it dried pretty rough (see pictures).

and

I'm thinking Maybe I should have used Aresol Cabousol (sp?) for the seams.....

So what should I do?

Option #1: Sand the Milled Fiber & Epoxy completely off and go back with the Aresol Cabousol,

Option #2: Apply Aresol Cabousol & Epoxy on top of the milled fiber in hopes of a better finish?

Option #3: Try to sand the Milled Fiber & Epoxy smooth?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 8:41pm
I would sand off only the high spots & proceed with the layup schedule.

Ben Franklin
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 8:20pm
Howdy from Austin Texas! Looks like we are in the same race. I'll put some pics up soon, but I am just starting to take measurements for stringers on my 1985 Ski Nautique. Everything is out, its just the shell. This boat was given to me as barter for some other stuff. I've done stringers before and enjoy the work. I have a 1985 Century Coronado right behind this Nautique.

I had a few questions...

It looks like the wood you used was not treated, any reason for that?

I've also looked at using siding for the 1x4 part of it. Has anyone done that? Plastic, never rots. But, the 2x6 aspect is problematic.

Also, I'm looking for some good material to utilize for the floors as a base. This boat is all about light weight. Does anyone know what Correct Craft did those years? What got cut out just seemed like thick glass.   

Look forward to the convos!

ATXMatt - 1985 Ski Nautique Rebuild in Motion
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 9:25pm
Matt,
Welcome to CCfan. Some pictures would be great.

NO TREATED!! Since you have mentioned you have done stringer before, I sure hope you didn't use treated on them. The resin doesn't like treated and the bond quality is very poor even with a CPES treatment. Plus, it's very difficult to find treated below the recommended 8% moisture content. What was the moisture content of the wood on your previous jobs? I sure hope you check it.

You can find several great threads on going with composite stringers. It's more work and more time but many feel it's worth it.

The thin glass over the foam is original. If you are going with a foam hull, it's a great method. If you plan on a no foam hull, the common floor is plywood with CPES, epoxy and a light glass covering. Depending on your cross bracing spacing between the stringers, you can go with 1/2 or 5/8. 3/4 is way overkill. Exterior ply is fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 11:18pm
So this tropical depression is dropping a lot of rain on our area which is good for the green grass lawns, but sorry weather for curing epoxy.

I hope to make headway on bedding the starboard side secondary stringer tomorrow (and then be set to begin tackling the port side) ~~~~ which means just a little more grinding   
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 12:36pm
8122pbrainard - Muchas Gracias friend. I haven't done a stringer job since I was a senior in College, 20yr reunion coming up. I'm returning all the treated and getting regular. Thanks for the heads up. I'll also be pickup up some good tool to grind all bonding surfaces. Any recommendations? I'm thinking power wire brush'ish or corse sanding.    

This weekend I have to make the measurements for all the cutting. The BIG question, does anyone have templates for the stringers? I can make it work from the KILLER pics posted and from what we cut out. But all the wood in this boat was goo. If there were any builder notes that or I missed them in other posts, PLEASE, would be killer.

However, when I saw a sledge I was like ooopsss... Hoping to avoid that.

More reading to do, iplan, send that rain to ATX, we NEED it, all lakes here 39% full and dropping...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 12:48pm
Flap discs and even the cupped concrete leveling diamond discs work, the courser they are the faster it goes. Your going to have to hit Woodcraft up north, Brazos Valley South Congress/ Ben White or one of the hardwood lumber places on the east side to find fir, it's not something sitting on the shelf at the depot. Unless your a contractor with lots of tools Harbor Freight and Northern are great places to find tools cheap that you'll only use once, some times thats all they last.
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 12:54pm
Is this the CPES of which you speak? http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

I'm thinking what I'll do is white foam, like from a beer cooler, in pockets of stringer and then plywood with light glass. Seems most cost effective and readily available.

I called a few places about composite material. It would add about $1500 to the cost of the job and nothing is in town. Even in ATX, now the 10th largest city in America.
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:15pm
You asked for pics... You got it!

This is where she was parked since 2007, under a tree, no cover, rotting. Engine is supposed to be good but has over 1100hrs. I'll throw a new long block in, just because, that's how I role.

Folks that bequeathed her to me, bought her new, from boat town and she lived on a lift on Lake Austin until pulled in 2007. When I get her done, she might go back on that exact same lift.

I have more pics on my camera, which I can't locate at this minute, but I'll post more soon.
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:21pm
Flap Disks - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Flap+discs&qpvt=Flap+discs&FORM=IGRE

Cupped concrete leveling diamond discs - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Cupped+concrete+leveling+diamond+discs&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=cupped+concrete+leveling+diamond+discs&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

TX Foilhead Uuuu ain't kidding. Those are big boy tools.
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:27pm
Flap Disks Harbor Freight 36 grit - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-36-grit-flap-disc-67642.html

Flap Disks Harbor Freight 60 grit - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-60-grit-flap-disc-67641.html

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:37pm
Well the trailer looks nice
There's tons of threads on stringers just start searching. Use the advanced search or Google I found they work the best. I already did an '85 rebuild and can tell you you can't get aggressive enough with the grinding pads I got the most use out of a 4" diamond masonry blade and 4" 24 grit grinding discs.
You'll just be beating your head on the wall if you try the flapper discs or home depot type 60 grit wheels.
Good luck
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:48pm
iplan, your sledge post made me laugh out loud. I've done a number of those types of things throughout my lifetime of witching the machine. Sometimes, some places, some days, they get the best of all of us, and breaking ***************, especially the *************** that didn't work with a sledge harmer, is therapeutic, I completely agree. Solidarity, fist raised. Measure three times then cut rules of woodworking apply like a MOFO, in this stringer repaid. Correct Craft must have called in Norm from This Old House in these stringers... Not for the faint of heart...
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:55pm
Yea gun-driver, thanks for the node , its does gotz a nice trailer, but its NOT part of the deal, whaaa whaaa, but probably won't need one. She is still on that trailer and will be until done. It was an OMG, somebody wants this piece of crap moment, and I was like yea, right here buddy, that's me. Actually, they got love for that boat and probably will buy it from me when I Get-R-Done. I have a 1985 Century Coronado 454 that needs stringers right behind the Nautique that is better suited for a dude with athletically expired knees who wants to Surf
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 3:14pm
36 grit, it doesn't take long for them to turn to 60. If you're the more paitent and clean type 36 grit on an orbital sander with the shop vac plugged into it will work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic