NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair 1985 2001 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 9:23am
They were covered and taped off and survived unscathed. Thanks for the concern.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 4:10pm
Okay ~ Main stringer is out..... I'm concerned. As I lifted the stringer out of its track, I noticed that water was standing in the track ~ from the bow to the stern.

I think this confirms my suspicion that water was accessing the area underneath the floor from the hull.

The fiberglass in many places in the track groove looks black. What should I do?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 4:16pm
No, that's water that got in the stringer from the foam and holes drilled in it. If water was coming through the hull the bilge would always be full and the boat would have sunk by know.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

No, that's water that got in the stringer from the foam and holes drilled in it. If water was coming through the hull the bilge would always be full and the boat would have sunk by know.

TX ~ thanks for the quick response ~~~~ I suspect if I had left the boat in the water for 24 hours without a bilge pump operational, the thing just might have sunk.

For the last two seasons a lot of water was getting into the bilge.

The PO had jury rigged a trailer rail with astroturf for carpet secured by 1/2" inch screws with raised heads ~ drilled from the bottom. Shortly after I bought the boat, the screws started coming out. When you'd float the boat on the trailer, these screws would be grinding in the bottom of the hull ~~~~~ in many places the stupid screws created dings that gouged down all the way to the fiberglass mat.

A friend and I rebuilt the trailer about midway through the summer, and also did a gelcoat patch on the damaged spots we could see of the hull. I started noticing the water the next season.

When I was leveling the boat to make this repair, I noticed that at least one of the patches we did had failed, and we'd simply 'missed' another one. There are pictures of a few of these "dings" at the beginning of this thread.

When it first started holding water, I thought it was a problem with the stuffing box (as the owner's manual said that the stuffing box might need to occasionally be tightened, etc.), and never thought much of it. Then I started noticing the floor getting soft in one spot, then another, then the floor separated from the hull on the starboard side, etc.

As I type all this out, I am almost certain I have at least one leak on the bottom. Damage may have occurred topside from water coming through the top, but the bottom needs to be addressed.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 4:50pm
Well if you do, you're in the right spot to address it. I had standing water in my stringer slots too though. Think of the timeline: water got in the foam, the stringers delaminated, the stringers got waterlogged, the the adhesive to bed the stringers (if they even used any) disintegrated, and you're left with water pooling in those cavities.

Sounds like your boat is in much better hands now.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 5:31pm
I'm wondering and since it will probably come up for Jonathan:

Paul, how did you make that dip between the main and secondary, as shown in this picture of the starboard stringer below? I kept the piece of fiberglass from both sides in case I need to use them as templates, but your design looks pretty clean.

Did you use two 2x's right next to the primary?

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 8:23pm
Yes I I glassed each side then laminated them together with thickened epoxy.
Since that's where the motor sits I thought the extra beef wouldn't hurt.
If you notice the end blocks don't go all the way down allowing any water to drain out.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 8:51pm
My 1st boat (a Tom Sawyer I/O) had cracks right where the bunks were,. so I couldn't easily find them when trying to figure out why I was taking on water.

Maybe you want to float the boat (on trailer) to see if you truly have porosity.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 1:17am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Maybe you want to float the boat (on trailer) to see if you truly have porosity.

This might work, but I'd need to find a way to seal off the two exhaust outflows ~~~~~
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 2:53am
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

Okay ~ Main stringer is out..... I'm concerned. As I lifted the stringer out of its track, I noticed that water was standing in the track ~ from the bow to the stern.

I think this confirms my suspicion that water was accessing the area underneath the floor from the hull.

The fiberglass in many places in the track groove looks black. What should I do?

I don't think this is that unusual. It's pretty common to find the rot at the hull surface, with the top of the stringer ok. Mine had exposed wood at one point where it probably never was sealed. Cracks develop
on stringers, holes are drilled on stringers, water get's in. Gravity does its thing and takes it to the bottom. Poly fiberglass is porous.
if the boat sits in the water long enough, or if standing water sits inside the boat long enough, water is going to get in. On mine, holes were also drileld into the stringers for the swim platform bolts.

Obviously, I would look around for signs of cracks or holes in the hull.

But, finding none, I'd grind out the mess, and put in the new stringers with epoxy resin.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 6:11am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

Poly fiberglass is porous.

BKH

And it's hygroscopic.

Jonathan,
Regarding the black, it will come off when you grind all the areas where you need to bond the new glass/epoxy. You what to grind down until you are close to the original glass. Don't forget the wood reinforcements on the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 11:49am
If I was a betting man I'd say the water was inside and did not come through the bottom.
In the pic below I removed the block they screw the bildge pump too. At this point in the project the boat had been out of the water and in my garage for a year and there was water under it still!!!
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 2:04pm
So I'm preparing to trace my Main Stringer template onto my new D-Fir board..... and it appears I have bought the wrong size D-Fir.

Thinking the Main Stringers were the same height as the Secondary Stringers, I bought two 2x6s but it looks like the original main were cut out of 2x8s. The extra width is only needed in about a 1 foot section of the stringer.

So, before I ruin an expensive piece of wood: are the Mains in a 1985 2001 Ski Nautique supposed to be 2x8s or 2x6s? If they're 2x6s then I guess the extra girth would be a result of the wood just "swelling up over time ~~~

I'm way behind schedule today ~ so a quick answer would be really appreciated.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 2:32pm
All flat bottom CC's that I have dissected used 2x8 primary stringers. Only the v-hulls used shorter ones.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 5:19pm
Okay ~~~~ well I'm glad I didn't cut or draw on the main stringers ~ as they are 2x6s. I can hopefully take them back.

So for my secondary stringer pieces. I'm going to try and at least get a stringer "done" this weekend.

Is this the right order?
1. CPES ~ 2 - 3 coats (this is already done)
2. Epoxy 1 coat
3. Epoxy w/ fiberglass tape to seal

For some reason I think Step 2 is duplicitous......

I know this is in a thread on a forum somewhere, but the CCF site (especially the forum has been a painfully slow page loader for me).

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 6:00pm
I don't think you need #2, but it will help the glass to stay in place if you paint the stringer first and them lay the glass on the wet stuff. Give it a few minutes to sit and wet in before you add more epoxy. I saw a trick on YouTube using a plastic scraper to move excess resin around instead of a brush, works well and leaves the cloth where you put it.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 6:35pm

I don't think you need #2, but it will help the glass to stay in place if you paint the stringer first and them lay the glass on the wet stuff. Give it a few minutes to sit and wet in before you add more epoxy. I saw a trick on YouTube using a plastic scraper to move excess resin around instead of a brush, works well and leaves the cloth where you put it.

I agree. Just wet out the area with resin before laying down your glass material. I bought three boxes of brushes for my project and have 2.5 boxes left. I used plastic squeezes, scrapers and even cut pieces of wood. Brushes do come in handy for some jobs but mostly just suck up resin IMO. Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 11:35am
Alright ~ the layup process is going pretty well. Whoever said it was like painting ~ was spot on.

This morning, I tried to do the top of one of the secondary stringer pieces, and found it impossible to get the tape to stick to the top of the stringer & sides of the stringer at the same time. I'd get the top in place and in good contact with the edge, and there'd be air bubbles on the side. Then I'd lock the sides down ~ which created air bubbles on the tops again.

I finally ended up pulling the tape off, and logging on to post this question: Is there a double secret Ninja-technique I'm missing for taping the edges?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:26pm
I don't know if experience is truely a ninja trick but it helps, round edges help too. Try to move the bibles all the way out to the edges with a plastic scraper and your hands. I put on 2 or 3 pairs of gloves so I don't have to stop for clean ones. Once it's pretty close and things start to stiffen then you can knock down the bubbles with the roller. It's mostly practice though. Larger spots sand out quickly with a palm sander small ones can be filled with a syringe of epoxy.   For the most part your using much better materials and probably more of them than nessecary. A small imperfection isn't going to cause the whole project to be a waste, the wood is doing most of the work. A spot with one less layer of glass, an air bubble the size of a dime or a spot with too much resin doesn't change that. It would be a different story If you were building an offshore boat or a super light drag boat where you're going for minimum weight and maximum strength.

An last of all, nobody will see what's under the floor so it doesn't need to be pretty. You'll have it figured out by the time you get to the visible stuff.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:35pm
Nevermind~~~~~~ In the time I was up here typing that message, the epoxy set up a bit better, and when I went back out, it was 'tacky enough' to just stick the tape on. I added a little bit of epoxy to the topside fo the tape to saturate it. I think I'm good.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 5:20pm
Alright ~~~ Question:

How many layers of glass do you put on the Secondary stringers before you install into the boat?

I've got one layer on so far.

How many layers of glass do you put on the Main stringers before you install them into the boat?

Making progress!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 5:27pm
Ive always done zero pre-laminating with wood stringers- all of the layers used to attach them to the hull usually cover them sufficiently. Maybe add one more layer over the top- but thats after theyre glassed down.

Floor panels and tall structural members like bulkheads are another story... whatever wont get a layer or 2 of glass (both sides) in being taped down should be pre-laminated.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 5:30pm
I'm not planning on putting any layers on before I install them in the boat.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 6:17pm
Well, I guess I'm ahead of schedule ~~~~~ lol

The plan is to glue them together before placing them in right?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 4:58pm
Today's Work load:

1. Gluing Starboard Secondary Stringer Pieces together today
2. Planing Starboard Main Stringer
3. Treating Starboard Main Stringer with another coat of CPES
4. Cutting Port Side Secondary Stringer from Starboard Secondary Stringer Template
5. Tracing Port Side Main Stringer onto D.Fir, using planed Starboard Stringer as a template

Should probably grind the hull a little bit also.....

Quick Question: I have a few places were there is weaved mat that didn't get enough epoxy in the original layup, and it is just 'laying on top' unattached. Should I cut these pieces off, or epoxy them to the floor now?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 6:03pm
By all means, grind out any porosity or weak substrate from the factory. It doesn't work to put resin on top of already cured mat. It just sits there, have tried it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 12:29pm
Okay ~ quick question before church ~~~ I glued my Secondary Stringer together. Now it will not fit in the seam like it's supposed to. It is the area in the aft tapered section. Should I grind away that part fo the lip, or should I sand down the stringer until it fits?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 12:57pm
Grind the lip away, you should do that anyway before you put the new ones in.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 7:49pm

Grind the lip away.

All the way ~ until it is level with the rest of the hull?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 8:16pm
I would, you're going to build a new one with the the new stringer. It sounds like you're adding a bit of work to the process. Get the stringer cut and figure out where you want it, bed it in some epoxy and faire out the transitions to the hull then cover it in fiberglass. No need wrap it first or do anything other than some CPES before it goes into the boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic