NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair 1985 2001 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 8:41pm
I would sand off only the high spots & proceed with the layup schedule.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 3:13pm
I've got the Starboard Side Main Stinger bedded. I used Epoxy and milled fiber ~ to a peanut butter consistency. I thought it went well.

I continued my milled fiber approach when I did the seams but it dried pretty rough (see pictures).

and

I'm thinking Maybe I should have used Aresol Cabousol (sp?) for the seams.....

So what should I do?

Option #1: Sand the Milled Fiber & Epoxy completely off and go back with the Aresol Cabousol,

Option #2: Apply Aresol Cabousol & Epoxy on top of the milled fiber in hopes of a better finish?

Option #3: Try to sand the Milled Fiber & Epoxy smooth?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

With that information, do you still think working from the inside would be the easiest approach?

+3 with Joe and Tim. The gel on the outside is only for looks. Much like drywall,repair the structure,"spackle" the gelcoat from the outside sand and buff.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:14pm
YES.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:06pm
I wish this hole was on the floor, but it's located in the transom (between the exhaust port and the speed sensor ~ where the secondary stringer is bonded to the transom. There is a ton of stuff to work around back there.....

With that information, do you still think working from the inside would be the easiest approach?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 6:37pm
Good catch Joe - I didn't see that it was a deep groove. I have heard a 8:1 bevel is recommended on repairs.

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Resin, cloth, resin, repeat!

Should I epoxy something to the 'inside' that would give it a little firmness, and then make the repair from the outside?

Absolutely not!

Get under there with some tape.. apply the tape on the bottom to keep your repair from the top from dripping through. Use your flap disk to enlarge the area around the oops.. and taper the edges of the new area so you can apply increasingly larger layers of resin coated glass from the inside.... do this until your final layer is at least as high as the surrounding glass ( a coat or two overlapping the repair and the existing glass cant hurt since it will be unseen) and then go about your live. When you remove the tape from the bottom it will be smooth and ready to go.. no harm no foul.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Should I epoxy something to the 'inside' that would give it a little firmness, and then make the repair from the outside?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:02pm

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:42pm
Soooooooo ~ the more I work on this project, the more damage I seem to do.

I was trying to really "clean" out that groove that the secondary stringer buts into ~ with hopes of being in a position to attach it tomorrow. I did a really good job too.

Obviously this has to be addressed before I go in with the secondary. I was thinking some fiberglass mat and a few layers of cloth tape, but the area is in the middle of the seam (and really narrow).

What to do?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:42pm
Soooooooo ~ the more I work on this project, the damage I seem to do.

I was trying to really "clean" out that groove that the secondary stringer buts into ~ with hopes of being in a position to attach it tomorrow. I did a really good job too.

Obviously this has to be addressed before I go in with the secondary. I was thinking some fiberglass mat and a few layers of cloth tape, but the area is in the middle of the seam (and really narrow).

What to do?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:37pm
I see you're learning the process well.

Unfortunately that's probably not the last time something like that will happen.

Making epoxy goop is easy, any of those things work, I don't think you can make it too thick. The glass fabric may hold it in place. I can't seem to ever get it thick enough and may try that next time. Sorry I'm not much help here, I generally have to just sand and grind things to the shape I want.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 8:46pm

My new Starboard side secondary stringer (all 4 coats of CPES, individually fiberglassed pieces, and bonded together with epoxy, etc. was a complete waste of time.

The stringer was 1.5 inches too short, and would not hug the floor like it did before I glued it together. I planed, sanded, etc., for about an hour. Then I made the best decision I could under the circumstances: I threw the stringer out of the boat with all the force I could muster, and followed as quickly as possible with the sledge hammer. After a surprisingly large number of blows, the stringer was reduced to kindling, and I felt better.

Thankfully, the same side main stringer fits like a glove. What should I bed it with? I've seen 3 different things used (mat, milled fiber, etc.)>

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:54am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Grind all new bonding surfaces until you see some glass. You do NOT want to bond to the decorative gel in the bilge.
I mentioned this before!!!!

Jonathan,
You what to grind down until you are close to the original glass. Don't forget the wood reinforcements on the transom.

I've got all the gelcoat off in the bilge, BUT I did forget to grind the wood reinforcements in the transom. Thanks for the reminder!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:38am
Bedding Filler Preferences?

Okay ~ I've seen all of these used
1. Fiberglass Mat (trimmed to the dimensions of the bottom of the stringer)
2. 1/32 Milled Fiber
3. Aerosil-Cabosil

I have all 3 solutions represented in my purchase. Which one do you recommend?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 9:16pm
Grind all new bonding surfaces until you see some glass. You do NOT want to bond to the decorative gel in the bilge.
I mentioned this before!!!!

Jonathan,
You what to grind down until you are close to the original glass. Don't forget the wood reinforcements on the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I would, you're going to build a new one with the the new stringer. It sounds like you're adding a bit of work to the process. Get the stringer cut and figure out where you want it, bed it in some epoxy and faire out the transitions to the hull then cover it in fiberglass. No need wrap it first or do anything other than some CPES before it goes into the boat.

Thanks TX ~~~ I was doing some extra work there. I'm going to finish the grinding out tonight, clean everything up really well, and start bedding stringers in the AM.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 8:16pm
I would, you're going to build a new one with the the new stringer. It sounds like you're adding a bit of work to the process. Get the stringer cut and figure out where you want it, bed it in some epoxy and faire out the transitions to the hull then cover it in fiberglass. No need wrap it first or do anything other than some CPES before it goes into the boat.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Grind the lip away.

All the way ~ until it is level with the rest of the hull?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 12:57pm
Grind the lip away, you should do that anyway before you put the new ones in.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 12:29pm
Okay ~ quick question before church ~~~ I glued my Secondary Stringer together. Now it will not fit in the seam like it's supposed to. It is the area in the aft tapered section. Should I grind away that part fo the lip, or should I sand down the stringer until it fits?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 6:03pm
By all means, grind out any porosity or weak substrate from the factory. It doesn't work to put resin on top of already cured mat. It just sits there, have tried it.

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 4:58pm
Today's Work load:

1. Gluing Starboard Secondary Stringer Pieces together today
2. Planing Starboard Main Stringer
3. Treating Starboard Main Stringer with another coat of CPES
4. Cutting Port Side Secondary Stringer from Starboard Secondary Stringer Template
5. Tracing Port Side Main Stringer onto D.Fir, using planed Starboard Stringer as a template

Should probably grind the hull a little bit also.....

Quick Question: I have a few places were there is weaved mat that didn't get enough epoxy in the original layup, and it is just 'laying on top' unattached. Should I cut these pieces off, or epoxy them to the floor now?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 6:17pm
Well, I guess I'm ahead of schedule ~~~~~ lol

The plan is to glue them together before placing them in right?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 5:30pm
I'm not planning on putting any layers on before I install them in the boat.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 5:27pm
Ive always done zero pre-laminating with wood stringers- all of the layers used to attach them to the hull usually cover them sufficiently. Maybe add one more layer over the top- but thats after theyre glassed down.

Floor panels and tall structural members like bulkheads are another story... whatever wont get a layer or 2 of glass (both sides) in being taped down should be pre-laminated.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 5:20pm
Alright ~~~ Question:

How many layers of glass do you put on the Secondary stringers before you install into the boat?

I've got one layer on so far.

How many layers of glass do you put on the Main stringers before you install them into the boat?

Making progress!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:35pm
Nevermind~~~~~~ In the time I was up here typing that message, the epoxy set up a bit better, and when I went back out, it was 'tacky enough' to just stick the tape on. I added a little bit of epoxy to the topside fo the tape to saturate it. I think I'm good.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:26pm
I don't know if experience is truely a ninja trick but it helps, round edges help too. Try to move the bibles all the way out to the edges with a plastic scraper and your hands. I put on 2 or 3 pairs of gloves so I don't have to stop for clean ones. Once it's pretty close and things start to stiffen then you can knock down the bubbles with the roller. It's mostly practice though. Larger spots sand out quickly with a palm sander small ones can be filled with a syringe of epoxy.   For the most part your using much better materials and probably more of them than nessecary. A small imperfection isn't going to cause the whole project to be a waste, the wood is doing most of the work. A spot with one less layer of glass, an air bubble the size of a dime or a spot with too much resin doesn't change that. It would be a different story If you were building an offshore boat or a super light drag boat where you're going for minimum weight and maximum strength.

An last of all, nobody will see what's under the floor so it doesn't need to be pretty. You'll have it figured out by the time you get to the visible stuff.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 11:35am
Alright ~ the layup process is going pretty well. Whoever said it was like painting ~ was spot on.

This morning, I tried to do the top of one of the secondary stringer pieces, and found it impossible to get the tape to stick to the top of the stringer & sides of the stringer at the same time. I'd get the top in place and in good contact with the edge, and there'd be air bubbles on the side. Then I'd lock the sides down ~ which created air bubbles on the tops again.

I finally ended up pulling the tape off, and logging on to post this question: Is there a double secret Ninja-technique I'm missing for taping the edges?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic