Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mission: You Wanna What? [LOL]

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mission: You Wanna What? [LOL]
    Posted: January-18-2013 at 9:37pm
The Mission: Build a 500cid engine making 500hp using a Chrysler 440 as a starting point. The engine must produce 500hp reliably and at at a usable RPM AND require minimum to moderate maintenance to maintain tune while maintaining C.O.O.L. factor.

Equipment: Chrysler M440B block; 440 Source 500cid Stroker Kit; 440 Source Stealth bare cylinder heads; CH-28 Intake + Carter AFB carbs; or Hilborn Mechanical Fuel Injection

Procedure: Performance Arcing Engines in Bethalto, IL will machine M440B block to accept Stroker kit. Additionally, Stealth heads will be port matched to Glenwood Aluminum Exhaust logs and Edelbrock CH-28 or Hilborn Mechanical Fuel Injection; camshaft will be custom ground per performance Racing Specs

Budget: What's that?

Installation: 1974 Correct Craft Southwind 20

Purpose: to determine if it can be done as specified.

As always hould you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct (?) in five seconds.

Good Luck!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:07am
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:10am
Go Chrysler! My 75 Century MKII has a Chrysler 360 and my friend has a 440 in his 72 Century Coronado. Unstoppable engines, do it up!
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:27am
Righty or lefty?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:28am
Oh the raw material is here. I just need to sell off a few extra pieces that I don't need.

Then we are a go!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:29am
For the sake of ease of building...lefty. Not my first choice, but it does simplify the build.
1974 Southwind 20
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 2:20pm
You're talking about a 500hp $$$$ build and you're not considering going roller? I'd question that logic. Do it for reliability alone, if not for performance (though you'd get both).

I'd go roller and I'd go RH to preserve proper handling, especially if the cost difference isn't huge. (I actually did just that with our 454 and the cost difference was substantial). Dont forget about all the other components youd be changing if you switch rotation. The v-hulls handle hp pretty well.

A vintage 440 stroker sounds pretty cool.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 2:30pm
I like you!!! 440 Source makes some nice stroker kits! I'm not sure about the heads. Indy is usually the clear winner in the Big Block Chrysler world as far as heads go. I agree totally with Tim on the roller for power and reliability. Plus you said budget?? What is that??? What is your target peak output RPM?

Mopar boats rock....
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 2:34pm
Put a cross ram on it. Paint it orange and put Ramcharger 426 decals on the valve covers ;). Making 500 ponies in a big block stock CID Iron head motor is pretty easy let alone a stroker with better heads. Max wedge guys do it all day long with stock exhaust manifolds. With a good flowing aftermarket head and induction setup you should be able to achieve those numbers at pretty conservative RPM and and conservative camshaft.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 2:46pm

440 Build

Just as a reference.

Check out the guys tow rig for that Daytona at the bottom. I have seen it lots of times at the Mopar shows.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You're talking about a 500hp $$$$ build and you're not considering going roller? I'd question that logic. Do it for reliability alone, if not for performance (though you'd get both).

I'd go roller and I'd go RH to preserve proper handling, especially if the cost difference isn't huge. (I actually did just that with our 454 and the cost difference was substantial). Dont forget about all the other components youd be changing if you switch rotation. The v-hulls handle hp pretty well.

A vintage 440 stroker sounds pretty cool.

Forgive my neglect, Gordon at Performance Engines had mentioned that we would be using a Roller Hydraulic cam in this application.

As for going RH, the cost id immense. The cam alone would be custom manufactured by LSM Engineering and would be approximately $2,000.00.

I am looking at rotating the front pump to go LH (I have the Paragon Transmission from the engine and I am looking into do a performance rebuild on it.) And I will need a LH prop at about 13X14 or so. We will definitely be playing with propellers once we get it dialed in on a dyno.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I like you!!! 440 Source makes some nice stroker kits! I'm not sure about the heads. Indy is usually the clear winner in the Big Block Chrysler world as far as heads go. I agree totally with Tim on the roller for power and reliability. Plus you said budget?? What is that??? What is your target peak output RPM?

Mopar boats rock....

I am figuring RPM around 6,500 or so. I don't want to get too crazy or else I would sacrifice too much low end torque and I won't be able to get the boat on top of the water from a dead stop.

I considered Indy heads, but the Stealth are more cost effective and the numbers look as good as Indy...at least on paper.
1974 Southwind 20
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 4:10pm
the only downside i see is that keer reer reer sound it will make starting
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 4:10pm

Put a cross ram on it. Paint it orange and put Ramcharger 426 decals on the valve covers ;). Making 500 ponies in a big block stock CID Iron head motor is pretty easy let alone a stroker with better heads. Max wedge guys do it all day long with stock exhaust manifolds. With a good flowing aftermarket head and induction setup you should be able to achieve those numbers at pretty conservative RPM and and conservative camshaft.

I considered a Cross Ram. However, the Cross Ram intake only fit Max Wedge heads. Also, there are flow problems with Cross Ram intakes that are inherent with the design.

With a cross ram you are trying to get tunnel ram effect while keeping everything a secret under the hood. I have checked out the numbers on the old Edelbrock STR series. They are pretty, but troublesome. That is why Edelbrock dropped the STR series.

But they do look cool though.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Yeah, it will remind me of the old '69 Charger I had when I was a kid.
1974 Southwind 20
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 7:47pm
They will fit any bb Chrysler head..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:47am

They will fit any bb Chrysler head..

MMM, I don't know. According to the Mopar catalog:

Mopar Performance Catalog (see P. 56)

These Cross Ram Intakes require the use of Max Wedge Cylinder Heads.

And still the very nature of an underhood tunnel ram, the RPM numbers (3,500 - 7,500) don't fit a marine pleasure boat profile well as it it designed for the Super Stock Drag Racing world.

Also, there are fixes for the system:

STR 14 Box Flow Dam Fixes

The STR 14-6 looks way COOL, but it has its own little problems:

Str 14-6

In the end, the headache of a Cross Ram in a marine application introduces too many variables that are easily avoided and handled by going dual quad high rise or Hilborn Injection. And I am not sure about Hilborn Injection. I still have a call in to them about my application.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Just checked out your YouTube videos. Impressive boat, Pete.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:01am

440 Build

Just as a reference.

Check out the guys tow rig for that Daytona at the bottom. I have seen it lots of times at the Mopar shows.

Impressive build Zach. Are part of the MidAmerica guys I used to see at the St. Louis Boat Show a few years back?

I remember showing up wearing my N.O.A. T-shirt and hat and received the Royal treatment.

They knew I was serious.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:06am
Zach, Boy I need to stay informed more. I just found that the Angola store was sold off to N3 where you work.

The CC "old school" dealers are really starting to go away. Shame!

I lot of good talent is disappearing into the night.
1974 Southwind 20
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:09am
The only difference in max wedge heads were the closed combustion chamber like the 1967 440 hp heads only availiable on the gtx and rt. ports remained unchanged. The crossram will produce power. You could produce 500 with that stroker kit below 6000 rpm..
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:10am
I'm trying to stay old school !!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:14am

The only difference in max wedge heads were the closed combustion chamber like the 1967 440 hp heads only availiable on the gtx and rt. ports remained unchanged. The crossram will produce power. You could produce 500 with that stroker kit below 6000 rpm..

I thought the intake mounts were a little different and the ports didn't quite match up.

What about width? Will a Cross Ram fit under a CC doghouse lid? I can custom fab a doghouse if I need to (I will need to if I go Hilborn.).

Would you go Mopar Performance Cross Ram or Edelbrock STR14?
1974 Southwind 20
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 10:27am
If you're thinking of that eddy manifold why not go with a traditional 6 pack set up. That is a dual plane intake that makes wonderful low end power and pulls hard to 6500. You'll also have more than enough cfm coming at 1350. Plus you can putt around on the middle mechanical carb and when it's go time the outter vacuum carbs will come in to play.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:00am
Tony,
Listen to Zach's suggestions. He has been around the Mopar's for a long time. He is the #1 member on site with the Mopar knowledge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:17am

go with a traditional 6 pack set up. That is a dual plane intake that makes wonderful low end power and pulls hard to 6500. You'll also have more than enough cfm coming at 1350. Plus you can putt around on the middle mechanical carb and when it's go time the outter vacuum carbs will come in to play.

Zach,
What marine rated 2 barrels would you recommend?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:27am
Thanks Pete!! Tony I also think you are a little to scared of the cross ram power producing rpm. They aren't quite as high strung as you might think. Keep in mind the super stock cars in stock configuration were being shifted around 5800-6000. And going through the traps. At 6500 depending on factory gears. The earlier engines had as much as 13.5 to 1 comp. the factory camshaft was very conservative. The factory max wedge exhaust manifolds were like headers in that they had longer tubes and were designed to scavenge cylinders. With an aggressive camshaft swap they took full advantage of the header like manifolds and power output would go up drastically.

With your big inch stroker and good head flow I think it will be easily possible to more than eclipse your 500 number well before the 6000 rpm mark. I also think that the proven 6 bbl application would be your best choice. But a big block with a cross ram would be soooo cool. Can you get flow bench data from 440 source on those heads to aid in camshaft selection??

440 cross ram

Pete, that's another thing I was going mention is I'm not sure there is a marine rated 6 bbl carburetion that would work. The cross ram would probably be easier to tune. 6 pack cars are quirky so most people just but bran new carbs instead of rebuilding.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:54am
Read this build

Basically the same heads and stroker kit you are wanting to use. That motor is a serious low rpm power producer.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:03pm
How many vintage engines actually have marine carbs?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:22pm

If you're thinking of that eddy manifold why not go with a traditional 6 pack set up. That is a dual plane intake that makes wonderful low end power and pulls hard to 6500. You'll also have more than enough cfm coming at 1350. Plus you can putt around on the middle mechanical carb and when it's go time the outter vacuum carbs will come in to play.

Thanks, Zach. Actually a 6 pack was the first candidate. I was at the Marine Engine site and found that the 6 pack marine carbs were a rather...RARE animal. And converting a standard street 6 carb was way more liability than a shop wanted to accept. Tha's why I decided on dual quads.

Tell me more about this Cross Ram to Wedge Head setup. I have always been told that it was a mismatch.

Contrary to the unspoken comments, I am very interested in learning as much as possible about this. I do a lot of research before I plunge into a project, and continue that research as the project progresses.

And, yes, I can be trained. I have a few past flight instructors that all agree.
1974 Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic