NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing GT40 Manifold and Riser Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ricofrancois View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing GT40 Manifold and Riser Gasket
    Posted: January-18-2013 at 4:38am
Hi

So today I noticed a leak on the exhaust manifolds. There were leaks and drips marks since I got the boat used 2 years ago but I never noticed a leak.

I was running the boat without the engine cover on (for other reasons) and noticed small leaks between the manifold and riser. The water dried very quickly which would explain why I never noticed before.

I would like to replace both riser gaskets and the bolts.

I imagine that everything is from new. Are there any risk that the bolts will break or get stuck? How likely?

Is there a sequence for bolts removal?

After cleaning both sides and putting the new gasket, do you add a sealant?

I was also wondering if I should use lock washers under the bolts...

This is my part list for the job:

RM0002 Riser Gasket x 2
RS0285 Riser bolt short x 4
RS0387 Riser bolt long x 4
RS2179 Riser bolt washer locks

Any advice?

Ski Nautique 97 - GT40 EFI
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 10:13am
DRAIN THE MANIFOLDS AND RISERS FIRST!!!!!!!!!BEFORE BACKING OFF ANY BOLTS.

Jesus was a bare-footer.............
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 11:45am
Rico. Where are you sourcing the parts from?

It's an easy job. Soak the bolts with PB blaster becasuse they have a tendency to break off in the manifold especially if they have been leaking for a while. Make sure the face of the manifold and riser is very clean and flat before re installation. Make sure you properly line up the holes in the riser gasket and the riser itself.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 12:06pm
Are you supposed to block off the REAR passage so water is forced to flow up and over the riser, and not sneak through the bottom, therefore not transferring much heat away.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Are you supposed to block off the REAR passage so water is forced to flow up and over the riser, and not sneak through the bottom, therefore not transferring much heat away.

Not sure if that was a question or not, but that is correct.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 9:40pm
Thanks guys I am hoping that the risers and manifold will be in good shape (fresh water only boat). I do believe that they have been leaking for longer than I think and it could mean a whole manifold replacement. I guess I will need to spend time with a scraper ...

So there is no sequence for the 4 bolt on the riser? You can remove randomly?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Soak the bolts with PB blaster

Zach,
PB Blaster?? I sure hope they don't use the junk at work and you don't ether!!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's the list of torque requirements copied from the other thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

I don't even consider WD40 to be a penetrating oil so that puts PB at the bottom for me. Kroil is a on line order only so when I was taking my 1927 Flexifour apart and trying to break the rusted pistons loose, I did pick up a can of PB. A week went by with no luck and then the Kroil came in. The next day after using some of the Kroil, all four pistons were loose. I ended up using the PB as a honing lubricant!

The home brew ATF and reducing it with a solvent is real interesting! I need to mix up a batch and give it a try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:21am
Originally posted by ricofrancois ricofrancois wrote:

Thanks guys I am hoping that the risers and manifold will be in good shape (fresh water only boat). I do believe that they have been leaking for longer than I think and it could mean a whole manifold replacement. I guess I will need to spend time with a scraper ...

So there is no sequence for the 4 bolt on the riser? You can remove randomly?

Don't overthink it. I had a manifold gasket that had slipped out and was visible and a slight leaking crack in the manifold. Removed manifold, grinded down the crack, JBWelded it, replaced new gasket, ran all last summer like new. Had no trouble at all loosening the bolts and from all indications it was all original (38 years old).
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:13pm
If it has been leaking for a while, then the gasket surfaces may be pitted. I used a file to resurface, but was very careful to keep it flat & changed directions often.

I think other guys used emory cloth stapled to a flat sanding block to do the same thing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:24pm
Pete, Interesting information! I have only ever used PB and WD and PB is the best clearly over WD. Never had to use anything like that on a boat mostly on vehicle suspension parts.

Maybe I will start using Liquid Wrench for the small jobs! PB has just always broken anything loose I couldn't. I don't like breaking bolts so I always start soaking things days before I work.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 5:11pm
+1 on the Kroil Pete. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. The stuff can't be beat.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 5:41pm
So I removed the starboard riser yesterday but one of the 2 long bolts broke. I did put a lot of PB Blaster a few days ago but the long bolts looked quite rusted. The good news is that the riser look in perfect condition.

The Manifold looks a bit rusted inside and I would have considered using it again but the price of re-taping will be the same as a new one. It's 16 years old anyway.

I will replace both manifolds but keep the risers. I am waiting until the week end to let the penetrating oil act a bit more, especially on the manifolds bolts. Breaking one of these would be game over, but hoping it should be okay as they are a lot shorter. I wonder why they chose allen over bolts for the manifolds...

Anyway first question, anyone would have anything against replacing the manifolds only and keeping the risers?

Nautique parts seems to be the cheapest place for both manifolds (total $401.95 including discount and delivery) Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 6:38pm
You can still get that screw shank out!

Have a weld shop plug weld a nut to it. Then heat the nut cherry red; wait for it to cool. It should come out then.

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 9:39pm
Thanks, I do have a shop that would remove for $35 but I am just wondering if after 16 years they are ready to be replaced. Any thoughts?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 10:03pm
Eric,
Is your boat run in salt water? If yes, then you may consider replacing both the manifolds and risers. If not, pressure test the manifolds. They should be fine.

BTW, cast iron does rust when you run water through the water jackets!!! 15 years? That's not much! My 77 is fine. My 64 is fine. My 54 is fine and last year I rebuilt a 1927 and the manifold was fine. That's 86 years!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 10:22pm
fresh water only. to be honest i would rather spend money in new steering cables and helm base assembly
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 4:00am
oh boy! well I removed the other riser and the two long bolts broke there as well. I am hoping the guy I called will be able to remove them as easily as he said.

Now about removing the manifolds, I had a go today. a few of the 16 allen bolts could be freed fairly easily but other were real hard. I removed 14 but I have one left on each side that got rounded. I understand that I could try Loctite around the allen or use a slightly bigger metric allen and hammer it in.

Any other suggestions?

If it doesn't work, I guess I will have to take the boat to the shop :-(
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 10:55am
I just spent a couple of evening doing the same thing, easiest thing was to grind off the bolt heads. Use a dremel or something small if you want the manifold, I'm replacing mine so I went with a little bigger grinder which mad a mess of the manifold but got the job done quicker.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 10:58am
If you have a dremel, you could take a metric allen wrench & shave each flat down to a tighter fit to the socket. Trying to hammer in an oversize wrench will probabaly gall up the socket even worse.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 11:43am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you have a dremel, you could take a metric allen wrench & shave each flat down to a tighter fit to the socket. Trying to hammer in an oversize wrench will probabaly gall up the socket even worse.

Both the socket head cap screw and the hex allen wrench are hardened. I agree that trying to hammer an oversize allen in is not a good idea. Don't go "back yard hacker" on us!!

Yes on the Dremel! Use their cut off wheels as they are small and will get into the tight area.

Get the manifold off, get some decent penetrating oil at the block, vise grip the remaining bolt and work it back and forth until it is loose enough to be removed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 12:05pm
Once you get the manifolds off and before you pay someone to get the bolts out, try using a screw extractor. Drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt, make up a small batch of acetone/ATF fluid, heat up the broken bolt a lil bit with a blow torch, brush on your mixture, it should soak in at this point plus smoke a little bit, insert the screw extractor and hopefully she'll break free.

Screw extractor

**EDIT**   If pete's suggestion doesn't work.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Once you get the manifolds off and before you pay someone to get the bolts out, try using a screw extractor. Drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt, make up a small batch of acetone/ATF fluid, heat up the broken bolt a lil bit with a blow torch, brush on your mixture, it should soak in at this point plus smoke a little bit, insert the screw extractor and hopefully she'll break free.

Screw extractor

**EDIT**   If pete's suggestion doesn't work.

Tim,
Good idea except:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by ski-guy ski-guy wrote:

Stripped the 5/16 hex on one of the exhaust manifold bolts. Guessing I'll drill off the head to get the manifold off and then have to try and drill out the shaft to use an ezee out on?

Chuck,
A socket head cap screw is a grade 8 or better. They are hardened so I doubt you will have any luck drilling. Grind or cut the head off with the Dremel. Then, grab the shank with vise grips since you will have the same problem drilling for an ez-out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 2:06pm
It's tough Pete but I'm sure using a #30 drill designed for metal using a little cutting oil (like ATF fluid) you should be able to drill into hardened steel. It aint' easy but can be done.

Back in the day when we were still flying L-1011's I got more than my fair share of OT installing door doublers on the outer skin of the airplane on the corners of the passenger door frames. Towards the end of their service life just about every one had to have doublers installed. If you were lucky and the corners of the frame weren't cracked (x-ray) then it was 4 layers of T-6 aluminum. If x-ray shows that it's cracked then it's 2 layers of .050 thick T-6 aluminum and two .050 layers of 301 1/2 hard stainless steel. Picking up 70 or so exisiting holes and adding another 50 will give a guy a workout. Sore Shoulders and burned up drill bits make for long day. It was about a 2 week job working, 12 hours a day and working both off days! Cha-ching! $$$$
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

It's tough Pete but I'm sure using a #30 drill designed for metal using a little cutting oil (like ATF fluid) you should be able to drill into hardened steel. It aint' easy but can be done.

I actually prefer Anchorlube for stainless and hardened metals. Since it is water based, it really keeps the drill bit or milling cutter cool. I've been using it for close to 40 years and always have a quart on hand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 3:30pm
Thanks, I think I will go to a local auto repair shop or marine shop as I am lacking the tools and skills. I am hoping that the heads are not too rounded and they can still remove them the normal way.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 4:06pm
Once I get the manifolds off, I am worried about dirt going in. The gasket is so bad, I will need to clean it up but don't want to send anything in the engine. Any tips?

I am also going to wait a week or so before installing manifolds back, is it okay? The engine cover will be closed and the boat covered.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 4:35pm
vacuum up the dirt, no worries on waiting to reinstall
This is the life
mac3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:45pm
Am about to tackle removing/replacing the exhaust manifolds on a 2003 SN 196, 330 Excalibur. Learning a lot as I read this forum! Can you explain the concern on draining the manifolds before you remove them? tks, mac
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:09pm
It's to keep the water from leaking/spilling into the cylinders while your changing them.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:39pm
If the bolt is stuck, please please pretty please don't use an EZ out. Every single case I've ever encountered of someone using an EZ out after breaking a bolt or rounding a bolt head has ended with "sh*t! I broke the EZ out". Then you end up with an even harder steel stuck in an already hard steel that has to be drilled out and you've wasted a new drill bit and an EZ out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic