NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

84 Ski Nautique 2001 - Upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 Ski Nautique 2001 - Upholstery
    Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

looks very good
+1
83Ski
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 8:55pm
looks very good
This is the life
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 8:02pm
We used contact cement but before we used it, we let it sit in the sun and stretch to dry fit were we wanted it. We did the sides first and then stretch front to back. It actually stretched a couple of inches! It was a real PITA.......

As for the trim piece, bought it from nautiqueskins. It came as a coil and then had to straighten it out along a flat edge such as plywood sheet and then mold it in place using our hands. Again a PITA....

We used the 1" foam to fill all voids, will smaller foam such as 1/2", the vinyl could reach but then you have wrinkles and voids.

Good luck!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 7:45pm
Dan,
Is it the aluminum J molding you need?

Yes on the contact adhesive. I still like the good old solvent base and not the water based stuff. Damn EPA!!

I feel the 1" foam on the dog house is too thick. That may be your problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 7:23pm
Very nice. Just finished driver and observers seat. As you know been working on the doghouse. Quite a challenge. Covered in 1 inch foam and plastic. Needs to be stretched more. I have it clamped up in the garage. Will set it in the sun tomorrow and give it another try. Looks pretty good right now, I just don't have enough overlap on all sides.

Questions....what did you use for glue? Contact cement? Also, the metal edge that was riveted is aluminum and not in great condition. Any options available? They really should have had a better base for the doghouse than a thin Al strip. There are some hard bends, I.e. by the pylon, so bending metals is likely not an option. Thanks. Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 4:03pm
Finally summer is getting here and I was able to take & post some pics of the new interior in the boat! Came out pretty good for never doing upholstery before. I already had the lake patrol stop me to get a closer look, that felt good

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 1:02am
Sorry for the late response, been shopping for a new tow ride, deer totaled mine out

Anyhow, I glued down the foam over the existing foam and took it all the to the bottom but then I cut a 45 degree angle at the bottom since I had to install the stainless steel motor box trim. My vinyl goes all the down and then wraps under the motor box, no carpet.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 8:49am
Did you remove the old foam before adding the new 1 inch of foam? Also did you go all the way to the bottom of the DH with the foam? My DH is recessed with the foam stopping about 4 inches up. This is where the original upholstery transitioned to carpet. Thanks, Dan.
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 6:58pm
Thanks guys, getting a couple of guys to help sounds like a good reason for pizza and beer! Thanks for the advice. I'm getting pretty excited about boating this year! Yes, this is my first boat. Will post pictures when I am done. Dan
ChristinesMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 12:25pm
Kostas

Great! We will add your pics to our photo gallery on our web site. I appreciate you helping others with questions. Advice from the perspective of someone that has successfully re-skinned their first boat is often more relatable for the first timer than advise from us. We may tend to forget to mention things that are obvious to us but not to a first timer.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:38am
Very good point!

Finally have the interior installed. Will email you the pics soon. We just got the boat in the water yesterday and the family had a blast! The marina differently commenting on the interior!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:32am
I couldn't have said it any better! We might need to hire you! It is best to mark where the stripes fall on the inside of the motor box where they wrap as not all stripe designs are in the center.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:25am
Originally posted by NautiqueSkins NautiqueSkins wrote:

The motor box skin wraps under the bottom and glues with contact cement to the inside of the motor box. DO NOT trim it flush with the bottom.

+1

I bought the foam from a fabric store such as Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts.

I would suggest having 1-2 additional help to glue and stretch around the motor box.

If you could do this outside on a sunny day, it will make it easier. Make sure you wrap the motor box in plastic, makes it a easier install.

Last thing, if you have strips, keep them straight and center on the motor box or your handle and hinges will be off. One of my oups.......

Good luck and if you need anything else, let me know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:06am
The motor box skin wraps under the bottom and glues with contact cement to the inside of the motor box. DO NOT trim it flush with the bottom.
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:54am
I am staring at my "naked" doghouse in my garage. Got my skins from Christine's, could you describe your process? From your pictures, looks like I need to invest in a couple spring clamps. Did you glue the bottom? Or is everything held with the AL strip and rivits? Did you cut the skin flush or wrap it around?

Where did you get the 1 in foam, that you recommend? Sorry for all the questions, I hate reinventing the wheel. And love to benefit from others mistakes! I appreciate any assistance you can provide. Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Tide Tide wrote:

I think it all looks great. It seems that most people have the hardest time on the dog house but yours looks like it was installed by a professional.

Will give everyone a tip, foam! I wrapped, cut and glued 1" foam roll on the entire motor box. That day happen to be nice and sunny (60*) which helped stretching out the vinyl. Thanks Matt
Tide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 11:32am
I think it all looks great. It seems that most people have the hardest time on the dog house but yours looks like it was installed by a professional.
95 Ski GT - 40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

It also looks like your old drivers seat strips were backwards. It is good to see they fixed that!

It was many discussions on the proper alignment, but after doing some research, we decided dark blue strips go inwards! Was actually worried I did it wrong. Thanks Dave.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 11:02am
It also looks like your old drivers seat strips were backwards. It is good to see they fixed that!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 10:57am
Looks like a very nice job. Am I the only one bothered by the strips on the dog house not lining up with those on the seat in these boats? My upholstery training for furniture says strips always line up down the back, across the cushion. and down the front. The layout in the 2001's is anarchy I tell you.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 4:11am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

let's see it all in the boat!
looks great and looks like you did a very nice job installing.

Thanks! I could scratch that off my list. As soon as the weather stays a consistent 60 degrees and above, they will be installed in the boat and of course pictures will be posted.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 4:05am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looks great!

What was their turn around time if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! They told me 6-10 weeks and I received them at about 9 weeks. They were great to work with! I send them an email over the weekend (closed on weekends) on the motor box install and they responded, great customer service.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 3:43am
Looks great!

What was their turn around time if you don't mind me asking?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 1:50am
let's see it all in the boat!
looks great and looks like you did a very nice job installing.
This is the life
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 12:19am
Thanks Wes, especially nervous of the white. Going to be a cleaning lunatic! . Great chore for the kids!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 10:18am
The interior looks great. It is expensive, but one of the best investments in my opinion. Don't let people sit on it.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2013 at 11:44pm
Received the interior from Nautique Skins last week and spend all weekend installing (about 14hours, but who's counting). Nautique Skins did a great job and they look great. As soon as the weather breaks, seats will be in the boat and additional pics will be posted. Its not original, but close.   

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 1:47am
TRBenj, attached is the new vinyl tri-blue stripes, looks pretty good. Have a good one.

New

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2013 at 11:48pm
The base is a very very light blue with white, color is Misty Blue. Very unique color but unfortunately it's no longer made or even come close to it. 2 of the 3 stripes are exact, color and marbling. Middle blue lacks the marbling but its the closest color combo and texture. Not sure who is the manufacture, I will need to talk with George at nautique skins to find out. He is sending me the white samples and then will make a final decision.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2013 at 2:48pm
What was the base color of your original seats? A very light blue to match the Dresdon? It looks white on my computer screen, but it can be tough to judge.

Did you go with the Dolphin Naugahyde on the stripes to get the marbling?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic