NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot Racing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoot Racing?
    Posted: September-27-2012 at 1:41am
Can you guys provide insight on barefoot races. What "rigs", equipment, expectations, tips?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:03am
Bfn, BBC, Make the throttle point down.

But really the guys that usually win use the malibu vette boats because they scream super fast. There was about everything at the buckethead this year from what I saw in pictures. Mark was in his 91 bfn and I know Steve was in his 84 bfn. I think the Morgans were in their 89 and Vince was in his 89. My Friends from Warsaw always run an echelon.(which has been upside down 3 different times...) ha. I'd like to do it for fun sometime in my 86sn.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 10:43am
How many people make up a team? What is that rope "rig"? Are there any strategies? General rules?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 10:45am
ryan check out steve´s (tullfooter) buckethead race post, pretty much explain´s everything there...there are also links to videos and pictures..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:04am
Tim's bfn should be able to make them vettes eat his wake
Brian
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:50am
The buckethead has Teams of 5 including driver or teams of 4 with a dedicated driver. It really is a test of man and machine. If we all foot a lot this coming summer we may try to do it in either my 86 or my friends 02 response. I would rather do it in the old boat ;)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:51am
Edit: Vince's red and black boat is a 90
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 12:59pm
Brian, Ive been thinking the same thing- we've got a boat well suited to this sort of thing now. I'd like to get a bit more info about these events to figure out how they work- I think theres a race not far from me, maybe I'll check it out next year. It'd be fun to get a team together and possibly give it a go at some point.

Zach, I think it would be cool to run an old boat in a race- but I wouldnt expect to be competitive if you can only muster 40-41. Pretty sure the top teams average close to 50... and that may include skier swaps, etc. Yikes!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Edit: Vince's red and black boat is a 90

And Steve's is an 85.

My feet hurt at anything above 40. low and slow...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 1:40pm
Tim, I don't think I would be able to go far over 40mph anyways (my feet).

Hollywood I must need more coffee haha I forgot 86 was the first year for "2001" style bfn.

Basically I would just want to see if the boat and my friends could all make it end to end. Maybe it'll have heads, cam, and intake on it by then Tim.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 1:57pm
You guys need to toughen up your feet!    50mph is cooking for sure (especially on glass) but mid 40's isnt so bad. My feet wouldnt be the first thing to give out in any case, ha.

I like to stretch the legs on my boats as much as anybody- but running at or near WOT for a long time like that might make me a little nervous.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:18pm
160# on size 12s, average arch I guess. Anything over 40 and I haven't got much more than my heels in the water. I'm with you on the engine comment, tortoise and the hare...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

160# on size 12s, average arch I guess.

I envy that kind of surface area... 195#, size 10's and tall arch here.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:24pm
195 and 9.5 here. The foot burn is never a problem for me... I need to run all winter I guess.

Come over for the race, Tim.
Tubing Sucks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Come over for the race, Tim.

Ive toyed with the Buckethead idea... but being 11.5 hrs away doesnt really work well for a last minute trip. The fact that they only open registration to newbies 3 weeks before the event (and only then if there are open slots) has kept me from planning around it in the past.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:39pm
You can jump on our team next year....or bring your boat. Either way...
Tubing Sucks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 3:07pm
Hmm, I might do just that- thanks for the invite!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 3:33pm
Maybe We can do it with my orange and cream skylark and be team CCF.com!!!! haha. Lets get some blue with orange stripe barefoot suites made!!

The only thing that scares me about my boat wot for hours is the fact that I know it isn't balanced and it has stock rod bolts. Now if I would have had it balanced and dropped in some arp rod bolts I'd leave it pointed down all day. It does have clevite 77 full oiling ring bearings.

I'm 130 lbs sporting size 9's
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:19pm
Are you thinking of doing the Austin Dam to Dam? I know a couple couple guys from Ohio/Indiana who are planning on going. I've never done it, but would love to do it in the next couple of years.
Link to Austin Barefoot Clup, the host

That is a shorter race at 20 miles. But what I've heard it's one, if not the, most fun. They have two divisions, one running Ski Pro boats (these are the serious 50+mph guys), and the other for inboards and whatever else.
I'll post more info later, got to get back to work.

Search Buckethead
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 4:04pm
Tull, yes it's peking my interest. Have never done one before. Heard it's a hella good time, and the race is fun too!
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2012 at 1:07am
My understanding on the dam to dam is that the ski pro guys are avg around 60mph. Now that's smokin.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 8:35pm
Not Barefoot racing but ski racing. These boats and skiers are amazing.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 12:27pm
Tim,

Tough choice. I don't know what would be cooler. Showing up with UT's BBBBII for it's cool heritage and history or the 79 just to see the others' eyes when they hear that innocent enough looking monster warming up and see it take off.

Those races look like a hoot. Would love to try it. Unfortunately, my endurance isnt what it used to be and I get "Burning Soles" way too soon.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 12:56pm
Mark, once I find my Connelly Wake Special slalom ski I plan to use it doing hot laps around the lake on a Sunday afternoon. That ski racing looks fun but simply doesn't exist here in the Midwest.

Larry, you need to condition/toughen your feet. Be barefoot more often. My entire body gives out before my feet, faster than normal barefoot speed though and they burn up.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 1:04pm
Yeah Lewy, they must be running a Chevy in that thing cuz it sounds awesome

Would be cool to see the skiers in that video as well
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 1:17pm
They have to slow down to 75 or 80 for some of those tighter turns. Wonder how hard it is to hold on through the turns. I can see myself doing cartwheels about about 400 yards back into the woods.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 4:40pm
That's kind of slow for those guys they have a few vids I've watched where they get close to 130mph. They have some videos with a camera on the skiers, but they are way back and very hard to see with all the spray.

The Chevy part isn't making the cool sound, it the 2 turbos. Makes you realize that no mater what you do to a CC, it's not a hot rod ski boat. That thing goes from 60 to 100 quicker than most of us can get 30.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 8:18am
That is just unreal ! If you fall at that speed ? your toast.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Yeah Lewy, they must be running a Chevy in that thing cuz it sounds awesome

Would be cool to see the skiers in that video as well

540ci Chevy Twin Turbo

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Makes you realize that no mater what you do to a CC, it's not a hot rod ski boat. That thing goes from 60 to 100 quicker than most of us can get 30.

Theres a big difference between a boat built to go fast that can also pull skiers, and a boat built to pull skiers that can also go fast. I'll take the latter! I get a good chuckle about what some people consider "ski boats". Cool video (and boat) nonetheless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic