NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Yellowbird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition
    Posted: September-19-2012 at 9:13pm
I have a Wildcat with a 318 electronic ignition. The engine runs strong but occasionally stops and will start after several minutes.
It's not a fuel problem, it seems to be an electrical issue. Anybody have an idea what is going on? Thanks
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2012 at 10:39pm
Sounds like the coil is getting hot. You could wait till it does it again, and see if the coil is too hot to touch, or just replace it.
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2012 at 10:46pm
Sorry, not only check the temp of the coil, but check for spark as well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2012 at 10:55pm
I replaced the coil with no luck, has the same symptoms. Also I checked the spark after it stalled and there was no spark then after 15 minutes it fired right up.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2012 at 11:38pm
Resistor? Does it have one, does it need one? Was the coil hot this time? Is the coil oil filled and laying on its side? Still sounds like a coil issue with no spark, but I'm not familiar with the Chrysler motors.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2012 at 11:43pm
Not sure about the resistor, I will run it tomorrow and check the coil temp.
What your saying is if the resistor is bad this will cause the coil to heat up?
Ed, I apreciate your help. Thanks, Steve Todisco
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 12:38am
No problem Steve. Also, did you replace the cap and rotor? Just a thought.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 12:47am
Not yet but will do it. I am also going to check the celenoid. During my researching of this problem, a failing celenoid was mentioned as a possible cause for the ignition to cut off.
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 1:40am
Another thought Steve, Don asked about your ballast resistor. If you do have one still, make sure that it is bypassed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Yellowbird Yellowbird wrote:

Not yet but will do it. I am also going to check the celenoid. During my researching of this problem, a failing celenoid was mentioned as a possible cause for the ignition to cut off.

I feel you are off in the wrong direction if you are referring to the starter relay (solenoid). It's only activated during engine cranking.

When you checked for spark, did you check at the coil or just one of the plug wires? Checking at the coil would isolate it being the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 4:57pm
Checked the coil, no spark.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 5:12pm

Checked the coil, no spark.

Before you replaced the coil, exact same problem with the old coil? Sounds to me like an intermittant problem in the ignition module.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 12:04pm

I have a Wildcat with a 318 electronic ignition.

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Sounds to me like an intermittant problem in the ignition module.

I second that!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 1:05am
Just ordered a new ignition module. Thanks guys, hope this does it.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 1:41am
Be sure and check what coil the ignition module wants and if it needs a resistor or not. This is one of those areas where you get away from the original and it can get confusing and cost you a lot of parts and lost time trying to fix a simple issue. I remember going through these sort of things with the external voltage regulator and the electronic ignition on my first inboard, it was a real PITA going to the lake and wondering what was going to go wrong. Good news is once you get through the learning experience you know a lot more about your boat and it should be free from those problems for quite a while.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 1:46am
Is it normal for the coil to be extremely hot after running the engine for 20 minutes? , like 142degrees? Have not replaced the the ignition module yet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 8:50am

Is it normal for the coil to be extremely hot after running the engine for 20 minutes? , like 142degrees? Have not replaced the the ignition module yet.

NG,
I don't see any mention of you checking the voltage to the coil. Several suggestions have been made to find out if the ballast resistor is used for you EI conversion. Do check on that.

To me, that coil is running too hot. What did you replace it with?

No, a bad ballast resistor will not overheat the coil. The typical failure of the resistor is a open circuit so you would get no power through it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 3:03pm
Replaced it with an automotive coil
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 3:08pm

Replaced it with an automotive coil

Same as a marine - you are not answering the question!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 11:34pm
Not sure where to look for the ballast resistor
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 11:55pm
Steve while all engines are different most electrical items
are relatively in the same areas. Here is a picture of mine,
the resistor is that white thing on the left side of the engine,
middle of picture held on by a aluminium bracket.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 11:59pm
Kind of white porcelain rectangle with a thick coil of wire running through it, usually visible from the side.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 12:52am
I see it. Will look for it tomorrow. Nice looking engine Gary, what is it?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 1:02am
That Steve is my 302 Holman Moody Ford that started life as a 289 but somewhere along the line has had the block replaced.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 12:01am
Gary, I am a bit confused with this resistor stuff.
Does a coil with an internal resistor need a ballast resistor?
If the coil does not have an internal resistor, is a ballast resistor nessesary? And what is the difference between the two?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 12:46am
[QUOTE=Yellowbird] Gary, I am a bit confused with this resistor stuff.

Does a coil with an internal resistor need a ballast resistor?
No it would not

If the coil does not have an internal resistor, is a ballast resistor nessesary?
Yes

And what is the difference between the two?
Coils can't run at the full 12 volts so the voltage needs to be reduced somehow.

You cannot go wrong with one like this one
it's epoxy filled so it can be mounted in any position and
you need this resistor to go with it.
You can tell if it is an oil filled coil by shaking it and they are not to be mounted on their side
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2012 at 10:45pm
Thanks for your help Gary.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 11:16pm
Is there a wiring diagram anywhere for connecting an external resistor to a coil???
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 11:21pm
Check here second page
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic