NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rise of the Buckskin Beauty

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 6:21pm
You guys got me thinking, I know for a fact we have an old cruiser's inc Tono/hardtop/bimini deal fit for a 23' sitting our log house in WI, i believe it was meant to snap to the wooden windshield.

I'll have to pull it down next summer and snap some pictures, see if someone might be interested in it.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 6:39pm
I have done some boating on Table Rock, Lake of the Ozarks, and Bull Shoals during the summer. Being a northerner I didn't have a top. I wouldn't consider going topless if I lived down there. I love being a boat with a factory top. The bimini tops on the new ski boats are sweet too.
Very cool boat. I too like the seating.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 7:17pm
Joe - that thing is really freakin' cool.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The tops were called "folding tops" and according to the 1966 Skylark brochure cost $78 which was the most expensive option for that boat other than perhaps an engine upgrade. They are pretty rare as not too many people liked them even back then. I thought they were hideous back then, but for some reason now think they look pretty cool. I remember our neighbor had a 62 Tournement Skier that my brothers and I thought was totally ruined when he put one on it. Pete would probably add a few points for you if you had one in a show.

Bruce,
Thanks for bringing up a very important point for the younger guys who think those tops are "Bimini's"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

The younger crowd thinks they are hideous (led by Tim B).

Larry, I like to think my taste is half way decent... all except one boat I own is older than I am- so I like to think that my dislike for that top isnt purely generational. A lot of people think Im old school, but at the same time, not everything "old" gets a "pass". Ugly is still ugly! I do hate it less on the San Juan than I do the Mustang though... what a way to ruin an otherwise beautiful boat!

Bill, remember that Joe's hull in question is a good 2' longer, probably a foot wider and a good bit heavier... it could very well be a 40mph boat at best with the lower output (210hp) 318.

Good point Tim. I was thinking joe had the same hull. I think the top would be awesome BTW.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 12:00am

Tim, not questioning your taste at all. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Surfing behind an I/O within inches of a spinning propeller. Brought to you by the same 60's that thought "Lawn Darts" were a good idea.

Am I the only one who likes excitement. Maybe I should bring these to Green Lake next year in the back of a tail heavy I/O.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:13am
you should bring those you seem to be the dart throwing champion around here
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Good point Tim. I was thinking joe had the same hull. I think the top would be awesome BTW.

I do have the same hull as you this just isn't it.

This is the party boat, that boat once we get your turbo gear to this side of the country and onto a working engine will be the boat you take when you are late and need to get to the party.

They are amazingly similar looking hulls... both pretty big, one just has a little extra hugeness.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:13pm
joe did you get my email?
1970 Mustang
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 12:08am

... both pretty big, one just has a little extra hugeness.

Joe, are you auditioning for the next round of commercials by a certain local car dealer?
86 Martinique
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:29pm
Joe, could you possibly take closer pictures of the dash? I smoothed my over to take care of the myriad of holes. I can sort of tell from your pictures the layout but would really appreciate some up close pictures. Another difference I noticed is that your throttle lever is located on the gunnel, whereas mine was mounted on the dash. I think I might switch mine over to gain more dash room. Thanks again!
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:33pm
I will get you a pic or two over the weekend, funny your talking about removing the dash mounted shifter when I was thinking of trying to find one for originality. If you can get me a picture of your shifter and the center cap of your steering wheel I would appreciate it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If you can get me a picture of your shifter and the center cap of your steering wheel I would appreciate it.

Same steering wheel as Reid's '68SN, no?

IIRC, its a metal wheel... I remember it being darn heavy. Ive never seen another one for sale like it- I think theyre super cool (so let me know if you swap it out for something else, ha).
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:53pm
Same wheel, different insert.. mine is missing but I am guessing it is the same as the on on this boat Bonus points to anyone that can locate on of those bad boys for me!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:59pm
My boat didn't come with a steering wheel or throttle shifter. I have started from scratch on this boat and it has been a struggle every step of the way. I do like your seating arrangement and I have considered doing something similar in mine, just with a smaller front passenger seat and not covered in school bus vinyl!
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:10pm

Same wheel, different insert.. mine is missing but I am guessing it is the same as the on on this boat Bonus points to anyone that can locate on of those bad boys for me!

Im not following... the only thing different netween the 2 is the color and the Teleflex label, right?

Like I said, Ive never seen another for sale, and Ive been looking... might have to ask Reid really nicely to borrow his and make a mold.

The Tournament Skier in the '65 brochure seems to have had the same wheel, as do the few Al Tyll Skiers.

Ricks Al Tyll

The one that sold off the site a year ago:

So they must have come in the bigger/more expensive CC's. Despite being generic (at least I assume they were since they were made by Teleflex) I havent run across them on other boats, ebay or anywhere. Rare for sure.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:26pm
could be the same cant really tell from that little picture of Reids that you posted.. but I will take your word for it. I keep trying to get them to buy a laser scanning head for our faro arm at work, I could 3D scan and have it 3d printed.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:28pm
There is the correct two handle control on ebay at the moment.. but for $150 it isnt so pretty
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:28pm

could be the same cant really tell from that little picture of Reids that you posted.. but I will take your word for it. I keep trying to get them to buy a laser scanning head for our faro arm at work, I could 3D scan and have it 3d printed.

Ahh, gotcha. Ive poked at it in person... same insert, just a different color. Hadnt seen a blue one before- pretty cool.

3d scanning and printing... now we're talking! Do you already have printing capabilities?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 1:02pm
Keuka.. you definitely caught the Huuuge reference I was throwing out there,

Tim the steering wheel is heavy, enough so that when it pops off the taper it can give you a significantly split lip if you aren’t careful, it is not however metal, or at least not all metal. Mine has significant cracks other than that I would believe that It was solid metal, it’s hard enough and dense enough.

I spent a few hours this weekend tearing it down..
Fire Suppression System (apparently period correct if not original)

Morse Control and Fire Handle, the wiring and steering cable apparently no longer contained in the provided channel.

The dashboard shows no indication that the boat ever had the dash mounted dual shifters that would have been standard according the brochures,   I will therefore not spend the money to hunt one down and install it.   At 1100+ hours on the replacement hour meter this boat has seen some duty

The blower system was not original, it does have the midship vents and tubes and the vents on the rear.   I am tempted to remove the blower, or at least the big old vent hole on the back deck as that would be the only option for a smooth loading and unloading area.. the other side has the gas filler and gauge port. Between the hard piped fire suppression system that showed a pile of annual inspection tags, and the serious duty added blower it seemed one of the previous owners, perhaps the summer camp was taking safety pretty seriously.

The Tank seems intact and serviceable, likely original which would make it 25 gallons. The tank mounted fuel gauge is there and appears to be working

Both lifting rings on this boat are mangled sideways, they appear they will be more than able to get the boat on and off the trailer for the current period, but they are bigger and use thicker threaded rod than the replacement ones I have seen around.. would like to find some nicer replacements for them before I consider cutting them off.

But by the end of the day Saturday that was about all that I hadn’t taken off

Well at least in terms of hull hardware and fittings, I still need to
pull all the mounts and running gear and then spend some time bagging and tagging before I tear out the floor.   The damn 4 sided bolts holding down the mounts are a pain in my arse, they are down in little wells that prevent the use of an open end. Pretty sure pete mentioned something about a special socket head for taking them out…
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 1:25pm

There is the correct two handle control on ebay at the moment.. but for $150 it isnt so pretty

It's not bad, when you can sell your current one for $75-80.....
1970 Mustang
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 1:29pm
When I first saw the picture, I thought you were hiding a nitrous bottle under the seat.
86 Martinique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 1:54pm
It will take two restore kits for that tank. Need my tumbler?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 1:25pm

I was going to tell you my tank looked good and turn you down.. but after I put it down on the concrete floor I noticed a puddle started expanding around it.. so what kit were you using again?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 1:28pm
I have been a little behind in progress updates, although it is hard to call removing hardware, tearing a boat a part, and cleaning out the debris progress.. but that is the current goal. I was hoping by the end of the long weekend to have this thing down to bare glass and tucked into a corner so I can get the shop situated how I want it to allow work on the rest of my winter projects. IE, take off all hardware in preparation for wetsanding, remove floor, remove foam, remove engine mounts, remove 3 out of 4 stringers.. etc.
I removed the last of the fire suppression system and a few other small bits on Thursday morning and started to pull up the carpet and the disgusting mess that used to be the floor. No pictures of that.. but I will caution that just because you have not pulled the pin on a fire suppression system does not mean that it might not go off unexpectedly whilst you are removing the linkage. Said system, if attached to a mushy floor with rusty lag bolts may in fact come dislodged and possibly attack with a fair amount of mass, speed, and due to the cloud of co2 and debris stealth. In such situations I can only recommend a timely and haphazard retreat. Next time I encounter such a system I will bring the boat outside, strap the tank down, pull the handle and run… even if it came out intact who wants an early 70s vintage full tank of co2 hanging around the shop waiting to go off.   
It was sunny and mid 50s on Friday so it was a good day to move the boat outside and begin to remove the rubble.
This is the designated rubble collection area at the beginning of the day

(a dump trailer would be the best option here but apparently my brother in law had just sold his, a pickup wouldn’t be a bad option either, but I settled for putting down a tarp to collect the small bits)
This is as far as I had gotten it before I decided I had gone as far as I could inside…

Including the tag I finally undercovered under some plywood and carpet

Once I removed the “loose debris”

I could begin to remove the rest of the floor and foam. I believe the foam to not be original, I don’t know if it had foam originally or not but I don’t think it did. Certainly it didn’t have a fiberglass floor from the factory, not even the thin skin ones that one would find under a floor pan boat, or a boat that had vinyl flooring over plywood over foam. It has 4 stout longitudinal stringers, no major bulkheads, and had evidence of but no longer present floor supports. Nothing has ever been glassed to the side of the hull, so my theory is that it had a plywood floor attached to those supports with no foam under it. The side vents are channeled to a small half round fiberglass tube, that would have previously dumped under the floor into an open cavity.. air could then pass through the secondary stringers (which were two pieces with a gap in the middle) and be accessible to the engine compartment via airgaps under the motor box next to the main stringers which were one solid piece, except for a circular cable pass through.

In the latest “restoration” the foamed floor pockets meant that the side vent tubes were plugged with foam, and for good measure the port one was additionally blocked by the remains of a critters winter food store.

Again part of the latest “restoration” channeling the cables/wires through a rubber hose through the foam.. possible but not enjoyable, they also found need to cut and splice all the wire.. so it has all got to be replaced.

I still find the broad tined pitch fork to be the best overall tool for foam removal…

93A0-427D36FE1991-6511-00000A4CDA9B56AD.jpg">

Since the two boats were sitting next to each other I tried (but failed) to show the relative size to a 1994 SN.. the boats were lined up so the back of the cockpits were approximately even and standing about where the dash starts on the 94 there is still considerable distance between me and the dash on the 65. As mentioned before here is almost no dash overhang relative to the size of the boat so this thing is all cockpit.   Not having a big closed bow area or a foamed vent box in this boat greatly reduces the complexity and unpleasant nature of the teardown/grinding portion of stringer replacement on this boat.   I am almost looking forward to it.

By this point the debris pile was starting to look pretty good. Some of those foam chunks are 2 square foot plus..

What a mess – sad thing to do to a boat

Almost lost my tools in the debris trying to remove the rudder.

I haphazardly decided to throw a block of foam under the rudder before pulling the bolt and letting it drop and got a lucky catch..

I don’t believe I had to do any grinding to remove the secondaries.. they came out mostly complete, good enough for templates, again they appeared to be two pieces straight from the factory:

Unfortunately that was as far as I made it before the weather turned.. made some more progress Saturday and Sunday but no pics yet..

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 10:05pm

I was going to tell you my tank looked good and turn you down.. but after I put it down on the concrete floor I noticed a puddle started expanding around it.. so what kit were you using again?

I just went to the local auto supply store and asked for a tank restore kit and they knew exactly what I was looking for. Don't remember the brand name but it seems to have worked so far. Will know more as time passes. It was a real PITA getting the rust out of the tank before putting in the liner.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 11:28pm
Joe,

What material are you using for stringers? Wood or composite?

Great Work,

Donald
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Tim, not questioning your taste at all. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Surfing behind an I/O within inches of a spinning propeller. Brought to you by the same 60's that thought "Lawn Darts" were a good idea.

Am I the only one who likes excitement. Maybe I should bring these to Green Lake next year in the back of a tail heavy I/O.

Whatta rebel...shame on you. These were outlawed years ago.
"When Lawn Darts are outlawed, only outlaws will have Lawn Darts"
(Jarts)
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 7:35am
Great pictures Joe, I can almost smell it too.....
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 5:52pm
Bill - Still haven’t well inside the tank but considering I have three or four other similar ones around the shop, if it is too far gone it might stay that way – although it would be nice if the working visual gauge could be made to line up under the window again someday…

I *think* I will use coosa for the stringers but wood for the floor supports and the floor... The floor just because I don’t see any reason to spend any more time and effort on it than some pressure treated plywood, and the floor supports because wood holds screws better than coosa, and worst case scenario they would be relatively easy to replace in the future, although they will need to be epoxied/bedded to the stringers. The one area in front of the center bulkhead would be nice to be accessible for storage, but is lower than the plug both while in the water and at any reasonable angle on the hoist, so I may foam part of it to create a draining storage compartment instead of an open cesspool.

I decided as far as I wanted to get with this boat while still on the trailer was to get it fully cleaned out and with one stringer still attached, that would give me plenty of work to do (considering I still need to prep and paint the drivetrain, repair, wetsand and polish a billion sq feet of gelparts work on two other boats etc) before needing to move it back outside again for more grinding .
So I went at the port main stringer (the starboard was in better shape so better to leave in place for a template) with my trusty grinder and diamond blade (still the original off brand one I bought 6 years ago, stickers are gone but still cuts glass like butter) and I was able to get it out in one piece.

She’s a big girl, it would take just about all a 16’ 2x10 to replace her (I figure 3 sheets of 4x8x1/2 coosa, for the three stringers)

This one currently weights somewhere between 80-90lbs… It will not remain in one piece if I remove the glass so I need to be pretty careful with it until I can use it for a pattern.
After a bunch of shoveling, a trip to the car wash, then some additional interior trim removal and some vacuuming it looked like this..

Then I went to the harbor freight for some wheels, tractor supply for some hardware, and lowes for some lumber and a strip of carpet and spent $150 bucks and a few hours making a dolly and a bunch of sawdust.

After a quick vacuuming and putting away the two drills, circular saw, power stapler, planer, and myriad of other nonsense I had pulled out to make a simple wooden frame I had prepared the winter home for this beauty..

Then I used my cherry picker and chain lift to transfer the boat off the trailer and onto the dolly.

This was however way too far back – the center of gravity was right over the front wheels… my 600 lb wheels in the front did not enjoy carrying the entire load.. which judging by the fact that one of those wheels is very close to complete failure was certainly in excess of 1200 lbs. I was trying to keep the supports on the flat part of the boat to spread the load .. but really should have taken more care to center the weight over the wheels.   This thing doesn’t exactly fit like a glove, but the intention is just to use it to move around the shop and still to block the hull when actually fitting stringers as this hull without the stringers certainly does flex enough to make a difference.

I was able to get it done and where I wanted it for the time being and able to get the trailer from my 95 finally in a position to put under the 95 which has been on blocks out in front of my shop for a couple (few?) years ..

And that is about the end of all the easy work on this boat! She is ready for any and all volunteers who want to come by and wetsand.. wont take but a minute to roll her back to the center of the floor and get her hanging at any level for easy access to hull or deck.. slots are filling up slowly so no prior notice required unless you have a beer request that is relatively difficult to fulfill!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic