Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 GT40 Repower - Check engine light

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 GT40 Repower - Check engine light
    Posted: August-28-2012 at 9:55am
Hi all,

My repowered 2001 super air with GT40 is running well. However, the check engine light comes on within 5 mins of running the boat. First dimly then stronger as the boat is used. Also, the temp guage is not working. I replaced the guage with new and still no joy. The boat runs fine otherwise and is not overheating or going into limp mode.

Initially when the boat was repowered and given back the nechanic said that he wanted to double check the wiring around the engine temp circuit and sent off to nautique for the wiring diagram. During that weekend I ran the boat (he said the issue was electrical and the boat was safe to run)and gave it back to him the following monday. The boat has since been rewired but upon running it on yesterday, the problem persists. No temp guage (despite the guage being new) and check engine light. Again the boat does not go into limp mode and does not overheat.

I disconnected the oil pressure sender and this did not kill the light. Could this mean the temp sender is at fault?

Any suggestions?

Thanks - again!!

D.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 1:10pm
On the temp sender, have you tried disconnecting the wire at the sender, and grounding the wire directly to the block? If the gauge pegs, then the guage is working and it's a sender issue.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 1:19pm
Disconnect the oil pressure switch (not the the oil pressure sender for the gauge) see if the problem goes away. If not reconnect and then do the same with the water temp Switch (not the sender for the gauge). The check engine light circuit runs through the oil pressure and water temp switches, it is a green wire in the harness. Chase that circuit down you will find your issue. Also did the mechanic replace any sending units in the rebuild?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

On the temp sender, have you tried disconnecting the wire at the sender, and grounding the wire directly to the block? If the gauge pegs, then the guage is working and it's a sender issue

No, I just swapped the guage as the guage was reading well above zero when switched off and I had a spare but will try this to confirm.

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Disconnect the oil pressure switch (not the the oil pressure sender for the gauge) see if the problem goes away. If not reconnect and then do the same with the water temp Switch (not the sender for the gauge). The check engine light circuit runs through the oil pressure and water temp switches, it is a green wire in the harness. Chase that circuit down you will find your issue. Also did the mechanic replace any sending units in the rebuild?

Sorry, it was the oil pressure switch I disconnected. The sender and guage are fine so I'm thinking that the issue lies in the temp sender and switch. No switches were replaced in the rebuild to my knowledge.

Where abouts are temp sender and switch on the GT40?

Thanks again folks, these little issues are taking the shine off my new engine a little!

D.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 2:26pm
Hmmm, so your temp gauge is reading high temperature even with the key off, and switching out the gauge gave you the same result?

I think the Temp Sender for the gauge is in the circulation pump somewhere on a GT-40. I'm just going by NautiqueParts' description of the sender for reference. http://www.nautiqueparts.com/sendersandsensors.aspx

And, by process of elimination, it looks like the GT-40 Temps Switch, is the same thread size as a normal Ford Temp Sender, so I'll say that the temp switch goes on the intake manifold somewhere.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 2:30pm
"it is a green wire in the harness. Chase that circuit down you will find your issue."
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 8:33pm
The temp sensor on the water pump is for the computer, not the dash.
Tim D
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 12:59am
Darren there are 3 water temp sensors on the GT40 engine.

1. The ECT sensor near the front on inlet manifold it is a two wire device as it has a signal return to the EEC. This is the main one for controlling fuel and ignition via computer.

2. Engine temperature gauge sender

3. Engine temp switch that puts the EEC computer into limp(SLOW) mode

The engine EEC Slow temperature switch is located here:-

It is more obvious on my engine as there is a tee piece for the heater.
The temperature gauge sender is on the engine water pump.
The switch is either open circuit or short circuit while the temperature sender varies its resistance with the temperature of coolant.

I bet they have the wiring to the SLOW temp switch and temperature gauge crossed over. The SLOW temp switch should have one green wire and one brown wire with black tracer on the single terminal(i.e. 2 wires). The green wire goes back to dash engine check light. The brown/black wire goes to pin 24 on ECU to put computer in SLOW mode. The wire on gauge temperature sender is more of a tan wire with no tracer. I think they have this wire on temperature switch and the brown/black wire on gauge sender. There is also the possibility of the sender and switch being mixed up and now in the wrong location.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Hmmm, so your temp gauge is reading high temperature even with the key off, and switching out the gauge gave you the same result?

Nope, the new guage reads at zero at all times. I think the old guage was toast. The new guage moves from almost 0 to definately 0 when the ignition is turned on (if that makes sense).
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Darren there are 3 water temp sensors on the GT40 engine.

1. The ECT sensor near the front on inlet manifold it is a two wire device as it has a signal return to the EEC. This is the main one for controlling fuel and ignition via computer.

2. Engine temperature gauge sender

3. Engine temp switch that puts the EEC computer into limp(SLOW) mode

The engine EEC Slow temperature switch is located here:-

It is more obvious on my engine as there is a tee piece for the heater.
The temperature gauge sender is on the engine water pump.
The switch is either open circuit or short circuit while the temperature sender varies its resistance with the temperature of coolant.

I bet they have the wiring to the SLOW temp switch and temperature gauge crossed over. The SLOW temp switch should have one green wire and one brown wire with black tracer on the single terminal(i.e. 2 wires). The green wire goes back to dash engine check light. The brown/black wire goes to pin 24 on ECU to put computer in SLOW mode. The wire on gauge temperature sender is more of a tan wire with no tracer. I think they have this wire on temperature switch and the brown/black wire on gauge sender. There is also the possibility of the sender and switch being mixed up and now in the wrong location.

Good theory - could that might explain why the light comes on faint at first and then get brighter?

I'll have to have a look when I get down at the weekend.

Thanks all - I love this forum. I 'll let you know my findings.

D
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by 2001SAN 2001SAN wrote:

Good theory - could that might explain why the light comes on faint at first and then get brighter?

Yep that increasing glow is what had me thinking that it is connected to the sender and as the resistance of sender drops more voltage is supplied to the bulb in engine check light.

89 Ski

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2012 at 10:35am
Problem solved. A big thanks to all, esp lewy2001 for the photo.

It was the temp sender/switch wiring after all. For some unknown reason the tech had 2 wires (one from the temp sender and the switch) going to the tan wire for the temp guage (the original tan wire has been cut - not sure why). This was causing the guage voltage to travel to the light as well as the switch signal to travel to the guage and hence kill it. I've remedied this and now all seems well.

The only thing i'm confused about is the black/brown wire from the switch. I've found two coming from the harness and neither were connected to anything! I've connected one to the temp switch and the other is not connected to anything.

Any ideas what the second wire is for? Both seem identical in colour.

D.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2012 at 10:46am
The other brown/black wire should go to the oil pressure switch. The SLOW mode can be invoked by either low oil pressure or high engine temperature.

From the GT40 Service manual in Reference section.

89 Ski

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2012 at 12:54pm
That makes sense. Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic