Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taking boat off trailor (dry)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking boat off trailor (dry)
    Posted: November-22-2005 at 12:48pm
My trailor looks terrible. I plan on sand blasting it down to bare metal. In order to do this I must first get the boat off of the trailor. We own and operate a local building supplies dealer and have two 8000 lb. forklifts. I have also built a "rack" that sits on casters to store the boat on while I work. I'm planning on using long, heavy duty, tow straps swung between the two forklifts and under the boat. My plan is to lift, pull the trailor out from underneath, roll the "rack" into the picture and lower the boat. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Is there a better way? I'm sure it will work but it's still a little unnerving. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Tate
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 1:18pm
I have taken mine off several times.... While in my garage I jack the trailer up, set a jackstand under the rear of the hull on each side, let the jack down & the rear will rest on the stands, Take a come-a-long or chain hoist and pick the bow up using the lift eye on the bow, pull trailer out from under boat, set front of boat down on a jackstand placed a few feet ahead of engine. It only has to be lifted a few inches to come off tailer. Your idea will work, just don't put the front strap too far ahead of engine while picking it up or it may slide off, Put the strap a few feet ahead of engine, and the rear just behind the shaft strut.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 1:42pm
I've done it the same way as Mackwrench. 4 Times without problem. We've always used the lifting rings.

The dealer I use lifts boats with a single boom crane. The local drystack picks the boats up all the time with a very large forklift. I'd say, be careful, pick it up slowly as possible, only lift it as much as necessary, and watch the swing.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 4:08pm
Tate,

i don't like the idea of using tow straps, check the rating on them ,if you had access to webbed slings then I think your idea will work fine, the slings are incredibly strong. Don't be afraid to use the lifting rings, that's what they're there for.

I have used the method mackwrench described a couple times and it works fine but if you've got the lifts and the right slings use them.
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2005 at 7:58am
thanks guys. I'll let you know how it works. Maybe take some pictures.
Tate
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 7:18pm
Other alternative , two boat stands on each side at stern an hydraulic yard arms to pick it up on the sides , www.yardarm.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic