Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is tubing growing in popularity or is just me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
jrivera1262 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrivera1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2012 at 3:56pm
That's pretty cool. I've never seen one of those. Ill have to see if I can find one. Only thing I have seen is training skis. Any leads on where to get one? Thanks.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 9:57am
I got mine at Overton's

Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

My 3 year old

My 4 year old

89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 11:47am
In the 60's my dad made a larger version of that out of plywood, an "aquaplane". We could ride on it easily behind a 10 HP. I remember that when we fell off, it would dive for the bottom if you gave the boat any throttle!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 12:01pm
Before water skiing which is said to have started in the 1920's there was aquaplaning which actually started just before the turn of the century.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 12:19pm
I know my dad had heard the name somewhere. For a piece of plywood and a length of rope, it worked well, could go outside the wakes, sit or stand, bounce a bit. What was really fun, and I don't see any more, is a disk. I made one in my early teens, it was challenging to ride on, got up on a stepladder a few times, also a folding chair.

One point to mention, more on-topic with this thread, is that these "devices" all were pulled at what today would be wakeboarding speeds, making large wakes even though it was behind outboard 40 and 50 and 70 HP motors. So, maybe even then the slalom skiers didn't like us!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 1:22pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Before water skiing which is said to have started in the 1920's there was aquaplaning which actually started just before the turn of the century.

Looks like they hadn't thought of PFDs yet!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Before water skiing which is said to have started in the 1920's there was aquaplaning which actually started just before the turn of the century.

Looks like they hadn't thought of PFDs yet!

Chris,
The PFD requirement for skiing is a very gray area in most states. Years ago, our local ski team went to the DNR as well as some judges to find out the actual requirement since they didn't use PFD's in most acts in their shows. Wisconsin basically follows the federal rules which is the skier is considered to be a occupant of the boat. So, a PFD is needed in the boat for every occupant, available but wearing one while in the boat or skiing isn't needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

In the 60's my dad made a larger version of that out of plywood, an "aquaplane". We could ride on it easily behind a 10 HP. I remember that when we fell off, it would dive for the bottom if you gave the boat any throttle!

The store bought version does the same thing. We have dug up our share of lake mud with ours.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:43pm
I was going to post this in my "in my blood" thread, but since it came up over here.... Was visiting my inlaws over Christmas and my father-in-law pulled out some of his old army pics from the 1950s. Despite being in the army he served on a boat over in the Philipines from about 50 to 52. When bored, they got resourceful. Here he is on a home made (war surplus?) aquaplane, being pulled by his landing craft.

(That second pic kind of looks like a G25)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 4:27pm

quite the sausage fest
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 4:37pm
That's a lotta man-meat on the rear lifting eye
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 5:05pm
I can honestly say I've never pulled a tube.
But I will say that they work well on snow. We used one at Bear Valley Ski resort on the ski runs. It was great til I hit the ticket booth.
This is the life
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 5:29pm
Like most here, not a big fan of tubing, or more accurately tubers and the people who pull them. But I will confess, my wife spotted a big, nice tube at a garage sale last summer for $5 so it is now in the equipment room with the rest of our ski stuff. On quiet weekday afternoons last summer, my son head out with it with his buddies and they have a pretty good time with it so....
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:38pm
At last a common bond with bass boats
79 nautique 93 nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic