Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Cover/ Dog House

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Cover/ Dog House
    Posted: November-16-2005 at 12:57pm
When did Correct Craft switch from a wooden dog house (engine cover)to a fiberglass dog house?

Does anyone know which should be on a 1968 Mustang?

Thanks any and all!!!
Barry, South Carolina
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 1:48pm
i have a 1980 barefoot and its wooden, not sure if it is original but assume so.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 2:02pm
My 1965 motorbox is all 'glass Check out some of the pics in the diaries, I would belive that Brad's 1980 motorbox is not original
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 2:12pm
My '66 Mustang has a fiberglass box.

Tim D
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Brad_K Brad_K wrote:

i have a 1980 barefoot and its wooden, not sure if it is original but assume so.

Brad, not positive, but I believe the barefoot was a special deal. The 454 is bigger and wouldn't fit under the standard motorboxes and so they used wood. ICBW.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 6:17pm
Don't know when they switched but my 1967 Mustang has the fiberglass one, and the same exact fiberglass one is shown in the 1968 brouchure on the 1968 mustang, so for the 68 it should be gelcoated fiberglass.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 1:40pm
Fiberglass must be OEM on the 1968 Mustang. The one I am looking at is wood. Well now I know it is not the original dog house.

Thanks Everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!
Barry, South Carolina
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2005 at 6:47pm
Tim D. The inside of you '66 looks pretty nice. Would you mind posting close up pics of your front seats. Both of my boats have cheap wally world seats and I do not know what the original seats looked like. I would like to clone some originals if possible. Thanks....

BTW, the '68s had fiberglass motor boxes. I have pics with dimensions somewhere on the forum.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2005 at 7:40pm
Did someome perhaps upgrade the manifolds or something where the old box didnt fit?? Most that I have seen are glass.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2005 at 7:58am
Here's what I've seen. For starters, in boats up thru '69-70, check to see if by chance the wooden box, if original, isn't sitting over a Chrysler engine. (I guess you don't need to check if you already own the boat). Up thru about 69 is where they used the rounded, sculpted glass box. This box won't fit over a later model, after-'66 273-318 Chrysler. The older 318 Poly engines had the exhausts down lower and thus didn't hit the 'glass box. Starting in 69-70 they started using the more squared box which covers about any engine, except that big block as mentioned above. In summation, I've never seen a wood box over a small block Ford engine, or a rounded glass box over a Chrysler, but for all those that haven't noticed yet, they did a lot of one-off things back in the day.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

waterskicoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskicoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 1:02pm
You would have to go back a long ways to find a plywood motor cover.....certianly everything from 1970 and later would be fiberglass. glass over wood/plywood ??? There were plywood sided Nautiques, but I am not sure of the year...mid 60's maybe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic