Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting a Forward pylon to a Super Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cdevil0z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdevil0z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting a Forward pylon to a Super Sport
    Posted: November-11-2005 at 8:57pm
I am considering buying a 2000 Super Sport, and it only comes with the rear pylon (Just in front of the V-Drive engine). I would like to know whether it is possible to fit the Correct Craft "Teflon coated extended forward pylon", and exactly what this would involve. This was listed as optional equipment at the time of purchase. Is it practical, and can it be done without damage to anything? Can anyone describe exactly what the process is?
Thanks in advance
Peter
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 9:13pm
Hey Peter,

What would be the advantage to doing this???

The origninal supersports had the center
pylon, and it was removed. The early Maristars also had center pylon, and again, removed?

I've been in a boat with this config, and in my opinion, the pylon just gets in the way.

I have a 2001, and when we ski (these are not the best of ski boats) we use the rear pylon
with no problem.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Serious in asking what would be the advantage of the center pylon.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

cdevil0z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdevil0z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 10:24pm
Dear BKH

I am not sure if my thinking is logical, but I would like to have this option to attach an extended pylon with the bow harness, to be able to use this configuration for wakeboarding. My alternative would be to go with a flight control tower, and I believe these are now over $3000. I have heard that the extended pylons are fine for wakeboarders of 200 lbs and below, and it sure would be more convenient for storage. I do not think an aftermarket tower is appropriate for the 2000 Super Air, as I believe that CC pre-reinforced all the 2000s for thier FCT. Is this correct?

I hope to use this boat almost exclusively for wakeboarding

Thanks
Peter
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 10:47pm
Ok, got it.

My thoughts. By the time you buy a center mount pylon, rework the floor to install it, and then buy an extended pylon, you would be money ahead to buy a monster tower which is a great tower for about $1200. It's sturdy, folds down flat, and they offer some great boardracks, mirrors, etc. which attach to the tower and have quick releases so you can remove them quickly for storage or transport. They've got lot's of photos of Nautique installations on their website.

t*tan and Boss are two other great aftermarket towers which should cost under 2K.

Some folks do run extended pylons from the back, and use a longer cable. I've seen it done on Sangers, but never on a nautique.

If you like the look of the FCT, check out newdimensiontowers.com. This guy was the orignial OEM supplier to Mastercraft. He went out on his own and specializes in making clones of OEM towers. He makes towers that look identical to FCTs for a few hundred bucks less than CC gets for the FCT.

If you do go with an extended pylon, I'll bet you a dollar you'll be trading it in for a tower by next summer.

I don't know if the 2000s were preinforced for FCT. You could contact any of the CC distributors or dealers and find out.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

cdevil0z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdevil0z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 11:15pm
I have never owned a nautique, and I get the impression that Nautique owners are purists. So if I put a non CC FCT on this boat will I not be devaluing the boat?

This is a 2000 Super Sport - if I put an FCT on it would I add whatever I pay to the value of the boat, or would it be a lesser number?

Same question for another brand of tower?

If I do not go FCT which brand would you recommend?

Thankyou for your kind help and advice
Peter
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 12:21am
It's a little late but why wouldn't you get the same tower that a 2000 model has???? extended pylon?? old maybe?? use 2000 factory tower, easy to mount, looks good bolts right up??? match's boat's lines/shape????

not a boarder but seems like CC had a wakeboard design in 2000?? Or is it that new???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 1:03am
79 and CDevil,

2000 was the first year of the Flight
Control Tower. It is the same basic design and shape as they use today.

79, There is no reason at all not to use the FCT. The only drawback is that they are pretty pricey (About 2800 I think).

CDevil, I think a lot of people on this website and on Planetnautique.com are purists. That's because we're nuts about our boats.

However, I don't believe that putting a third party tower on your boat is going to hurt the value. As long as you choose a well made sturdy tower, and do a clean install, you'll be fine.

You mentioned that you need to fold the tower down to store it. There are several that fold down lower, and easier than the FCT. Go to monstetower.com. Check out the photos. You'll see about 100 nautique owners who chose to put that brand of tower on their boat.

Bottom line, it's your boat and your money. If you want/can afford a FCT, then go for it. If not, choose a good tower that you can afford.   You are buying this boat to use it and have a good time, not to create a museum piece. Just have fun with it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 7:18pm
a company called New Dimensions also makes a fct style tower, i hear it is better quality and cheaper than the original. i dont know the website though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 7:35pm
It's www.newdimensiontowers.com. I referenced it above.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 5:27pm
New dimension towers are nearly identical, i dont kno if i would say they are any better. I believe they are a few hundred cheaper ($2200 v. $2500) They specialize in making the tower specifically for your make and model.
Call CC dealers for seconds, blems or dammaged during freight towers, they can sell those really cheap. Dont forget Ebay, thats where i got mine. Had the lower legs refabricated to fit my Ski Nautique and powdercoated it all in white. Im in to it for a couple hundred more than a monster tower. Good luck w/ your decision.
KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 7:09pm
doh, didnt see it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by KyleT KyleT wrote:

doh, didnt see it.

Hey, no worries. It's all good.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2005 at 7:10am
Maybe another option: My bro-in-law has a MC Maristar 230 (v-drive). His boat came from the factory with a pylon extension for the rear mount pylon. The extension slips over the permanent pylon and then has two legs or braces that angle down and back to the rear corners of the deck. The braces are fixed to the deck via pins on a fitting mounted to the deck. Works very well and looks clean.

I suppose you could go to a MC dealer and take a look and see if the MC extension will fit over the CC pylon. If so, just buy MC extension and fittings and you are all set.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2005 at 9:37am
Hey David,

A good idea, and several aftermarket vendors make those braced high poles as well.

Here's my concern. The 2000 Super Sport still had a single piece hatch cover over the motor and
storage space in the back. With the braced high pole configuration, I'm not sure the if the motor hatch will clear the braces. This would be a real pain because the storage under the hatch is the main storage for ropes, vests, and other gear.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2005 at 10:09am
Yes, valid concern and my bro-in-law's hatch is of the same single piece design. And yes, the braces do indeed interfer with lifting the hatch. I do not really remember it being a problem as he stores the ropes and vests under the seats as I remember.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic