Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$600 (+-) Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $600 (+-) Oil Change
    Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:08pm
Hi:
I’ve been trying to remove what’s left of my oil filter for 2 weekends. My boat is a 1984 Barefoot with a 454. When I attempted to remove the oil filter, it essentially crushed when using the oil filter wrench. The oil filter body was about as thick as or maybe a tad thicker than a aluminum can. Long story short and about $100.00 later the only part left of the oil filter is the base. I took the boat to a mechanic and he said that he’s going to have to pull the engine loose ($600 +-) in order to get to the filter. Does anyone know of a better alternative - other then dynamite?

Thanks.
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:20pm
Wow. Who installed the filter, Superman?! I guess that makes a good case for only installing it hand tight.

I cant think of anything else that would be helpful- now that the body of the filter is gone, youve lost pretty much all your leverage.

No way would I be paying anyone $600 to pull my engine out of the boat. With the right tools, its a quick and easy job. Hopefully that amount includes engine removal, oil filter removal, engine reinstallation and alignment, if it does come to that.

Where are you located? Add your location to your profile so others can see- maybe someone close to you has a helpful idea.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:36pm
I'm guessing the 454 filters are a little tougher to get to than the 351s?

When this type of thing happens in Auto repair, guys would take a blade type chisel, and set it at an angle. Then tap, tap, tap to bite in a little and put some rotation. It requires a skillful hand.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:41pm
The filter location on the engine isnt really any more inaccessible on a 454 than a 351w... but the v-hull boats like the BFN have their engines set down on the primary stringers, which are 6" lower than the floor. It can make access a little more difficult.
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:51pm
Post pictures. It might be interesting to get some ideas once we can take a look at it.
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:55pm
I’m located in Longwood Florida.

The location of the filter gives almost no leverage. I tried getting a screw driver on the base but the oil filter location on the block has about a 1” lip around the filter. The way my luck is going, if I attempted to pry a edge of the base down I would probably end up cracking the block.
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 4:01pm
That's why I don't go to any of the Uncle Jiffy oil change places anymore. I have damaged a few oil filters removing them after a gorilla with an impact wrench and prybar tightened it on at the lube shop.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 4:18pm
this is why you oil the rubber ring for the oil filter! who ever installed the oil filter didnt oil the ring and now its a b!tch to get off. good luck

But when you get a new filter. OIL THE RUBBER SEAL!!!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 4:42pm
On top of filter are small drain holes, i had to place two screws in holes 180* apart and used a screwdriver to twist out the piece that was left, i don't know if you have the clearance for something like that, good luck and keep your patience.
shaken not stirred
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 5:03pm
I had this happen on my 87 BFN,and we used a pair of needle nose pliers and a screwdriver.(use a pair pliers that you don't want to keep, because they might twist depending on how tight it really is.)
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 6:38pm
Is the oil filter outlet on the block completely open? It seems like there is a cross pattern (best way to describe it)- at the base of the block oil filter opening and the oil filter base sits on that. I like the pliers method - but am concerned about the opening in the block.
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 6:41pm
In regard to the needle nose pliers: If a needle nose pliers is good, a needle nose Vise Grip might be better:
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 6:47pm
Pictures would definitely be helpful, but without seeing your situation, i would suggest a pipe wrench.   maybe a strap style wrench would work as well?

cloth type strap wrench
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 6:50pm

this is what it should look like.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 6:58pm
If worse comes to worse & you have to pull the engine, it can be done for far less than $600. You can rent a hoist at a rental shop for maybe $50.

It would be a full afternoon of R&R, but you would get to clean under the engine!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:09pm
Crud! I didn't want to do this! All this hassle for a stupid cheap a#$ oil filter! Would I have to re-align the transmission?
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:13pm
Call my friend Bull 407 855 2115. He has B.I.M.P mobile ski boat repair in Orlando. He is also known as Mr. Bigblock as he has one of the coolest blown drag drop top camaro's in Florida. I am sure he can get the boatback up and running oil filter and all.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by 84 BFN 84 BFN wrote:

Would I have to re-align the transmission?

Chances are yes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:46pm
Would it be possible to have someone weld a big nut onto the remaining piece of the filter.   Then the filter could be removed with a socket.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by harriss28 harriss28 wrote:

Would it be possible to have someone weld a big nut onto the remaining piece of the filter.   Then the filter could be removed with a socket.

Yea! Lets "Weld" on it while it is in the boat!!

Sorry! No welding in Boats!!! Fiberglass does not weld well but it does burn nice and hot!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 8:18pm
Just use a 4x4 with a block on one side and a bottle jack on the other side and a chain in center to lift back of motor/trans enough to get access to whats left of filter.This way you only have to take two big nuts off rear mounts and loosen fronts and of course coupler to propshaft.This way you leave motor mount bases alone and alignment is minimal.Usually get a grip on whats left of filter with a pipe wrench.If I was going thru this I would be installing remote oil filter at same time.very easy with this motor and never have this problem again
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 11:47pm
Make a tool. Get a new filter with the same drain hole spread diameter on the base. Now take a nut and weld it onto a 3-inch plate and then weld 6, 2-inch rods onto the other side of the plate using the new filter as a guide. The length of the rods depends on how much of the threaded feed is sticking out of the block. The shorter the rods the stiffer the tool will be. Now take that tool and remove the old filter base, it will have enough purchase easily. Considering the cost of this tool, I would never remove the motor if I did not absolutely have to.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I'm guessing the 454 filters are a little tougher to get to than the 351s?

When this type of thing happens in Auto repair, guys would take a blade type chisel, and set it at an angle. Then tap, tap, tap to bite in a little and put some rotation. It requires a skillful hand.

If this method does;nt get it off the block, you are not doing it right.

Long chisel?

Get that plate to bend even, and you are almost home.   I have used a chisel to cut from the holes toward the large threaded hole, started tearing the plate, and it will loosen before you have to tear into the threaded part.

Oh yea, I swear and get mad. 20 MF'ers and that filter is good as off.

If that doesn't work, I'd take it to the oldest longest standing auto shop in town(not a dearship), talk to the guy that has turned wrenches for 25 years, get him a bottle of his favorite booze, $50, and you will be boating in a couple hours. He has the tools, knowhow and this is minor compared to the crap he deals with everyday and doesn't get to charge boat yard prices.   
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 3:09am
So, what brand was the filter?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 10:30am
The oil filter was a generic POC.

This is the tool that I purchased on the internet. It had another piece which I eventually removed. I found that the holes for the bolts line up with the holes in the oil filter. I’m using hardened bolts and they are bending or breaking. I think that there is a partial obstruction in the opening of the block. I originally used bolts that were going into the oil filter holes about 1”, but it seemed that they were getting hung up on something inside the block opening. I have since shortened the bolts so they are going into the oil filter only (about ¼” +-). Now it’s a real pain with almost zero leverage.

84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 3:46pm
Maybe take a hacksaw blade and slip it between filter and block.The more seal you can cut the less it will take to turn it.I know fire and boats dont mix but I have cut rubber seal with a red hot razor and filter base spins right off
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 3:53pm
if you haven't gotten it by now just call Bull
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 3:58pm
I would be concerned about a hacksaw damaging the flange on the block!
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:25pm
Thanks, I called Bull & left a message.

A hacksaw wouldn't work. There is a 1" flange on the block that encompasses the oil filter base, plus I'm really paranoid about damaging the block. This job should've taken an hour tops. I'm now going on my third weekend…

84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:42pm
Hang tough man and don't do anything rash that will cost you more. you'll get this and be boating soon!!
shaken not stirred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic