Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to restore or not??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to restore or not??
    Posted: November-07-2005 at 11:55am
first off i want to say i'm a correct craft guy and will always be! but I have come across a blue and white starts and stripes master craft and have dreamed of owning one all my life. The boat has been sitting in the same spot for some time. I knoticed it when i was younger and just came across it again the other day. I want to know if it would be worth restoring? It looks as if its been covered. I just dont want myself to get into a big mess with stringers and such. I also dont know what its worth? PLEASE HELP!
mars
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 12:23pm
If I was to EVER get a MC it would have to be an old stars and stripes.....(I know that doesn't answer your question).

Maybe post a few pics? has it been turned over since the new millinium? Even if its been covered, it probably will have some issues with the integrity of the flooring....just a few thoughts

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 12:46pm
Mars88,

I haven't seen a Stars and Stripes Mastercraft that will sell for as much as a Nautique of the same age. They just don't seem to draw in the money a Nautique will. So if you're looking to restore it to make some money I'm not so sure it's gonna be a winner. If it's the boat you've always wanted and need a fix then go for it. Good chance a boat that age is gonna have soft floors or stringers so check it out.

I have owned two stars and stripes MC's before my current Nautique. I put 800 hard barefoot hours on my 82 MC and that boat never let me down. We used to pull 3 deepwater footers any day of the week with that powerslot. It was the most used boat on the lake pulling footers, slalom, parasailing or half a dozen kneeboarders playing murder board.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 1:14pm
I would think that it depends on several factors. How much is it? What kind of shape is it in and how much will it take to make it sellable? Would you restore it just to sell or do you plan on using it also?

You can get an idea of values from Bucnet, NADAGuides.com and boattraderonline.com   Check out tmcowners.com forums and marketplace. It's like this site and planetnautique for Mastercraft.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 1:49pm
Second what Bill 336 said. Definitely check out
tmcowners.com. I've seen all stages of restoration on that site from redoing the metalflake gelcoat, to replacing rotted swimsteps.
As far as rotting floors, stringers, etc. I'm not expert an on Mastercraft, but I do know
that MC went to all fibergla** composite construction well before CC. However, I doubt that MC was all fibergla** going back to the S&S boats.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 1:53pm
mars,

Where are you? I have a friend in Maine that has a stars and stripes, 84 I believe, who is interested in selling it. I've never seen it but apparently is in good running order, combing (sp) pads are off but with it, and a little bit of fading of graphic on stern, but otherwise good.
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 1:59pm
i'm in des moines iowa. Thanks for the help! I'd be restoring for pleasure. We have an 88 baby blue nautique. My dad and I always wanted a stars and stripes so i want to restore one for my own use in a few years.
mars
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 10:25pm
I got a pic but i dont know how to upload. Any pointers?
mars
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 10:36pm
I believe the way this site is set up, the original image must be deposited on a web site, any web site, so that it has a url. You can then hit the button that looks like the earth in the post reply section to create a hyperlink to your stored picture, or you can hit the button that looks like a tree to attach the image. The add image function doesn't like large file sizes.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 4:40am
IF you are handy and can score it for a good price that permits you to put some time and money into it, you could end up with a cost effective boat that suits your needs
If it isn't what you ultimately wish to use down the road, then don't bother.

If your are buying it to turn it around for profit, you may be disappointed, there are still too many cherry ones out there to compete, and they are not what the boarders are looking for.

I was in the same boat (heh) with my supreme, but it was what I wanted to run as well as a good value, The hull is basically a MC knock-off with a different deck. Once stringers and floors were cured, and removed grammy's waterlogged interior, I have a great slalom and all around boat, its not a museum piece. However, If I was looking for a rough-water sunday afternoon toy, the MC or SS will get hammered, and a CC will be superior.

Look at that slalom wake, not too shabby for an '82 vintage boat...it should resemble the MC..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 5:52am
Mars,

Regarding posting photos. Go to Photobucket.com. You have to register but its free and very simple to use. It gives clear instructions on how to upload to their site and then transfer to a site like this. Once your photo is uploaded to photobucket just copy and paste the lower most address line (Img) under the photo to your post here. So simple, even I could do it!!!
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 12:13pm
Before i buy anything that "needs a little work" i ask myself one question. "if i buy this and decide i dont want it can i get my money back quickly." If the anwser to that is yes,and after lots of thought, then go for it.
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
ty3724 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ty3724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 8:37pm
I have done a 1976 MC SS I I didnt have to touch the floor or stringers they were in great shape just Like the Tigue I had I took the old ford out and went back with a 260 5.7 Mercruier in it and it would fly had about 40 more ponys than the old ford did only age problem I had was first test run I snapped the shaft at about 3/4 throttle pucker ! instant right turn almost put under
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 8:56pm
Mars....I too am a CC man all the way(own three). However... always had a soft spot for a MC stars and stripes...Bought one two years ago and love it.
I think 82 and up is when the wood stringers and flooring was changed to composite.
The metal flake it faded...has to be reshot and clear coated...not a big deal.

I have seen the prices on those moving upward...they are nearing nautique values.

SOOO...go for it!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 11:21pm
Mars , go for it!
Im like most of the guys here....LOVE those Correct Crafts!!! But,If you have to have a mc ...it would have to be a stars and stripes. I learned to ski behind an early 70s one....

as for thec fiberglass/ wood construction on a mc, did they ever make a wooden one? Im not real familiar with them, but never remember seeing a mc older than around a 1968? and of coarse that was glass....Anyone know?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 4:53am
I thinks its a little early to determine the gel and flake needs to get reshot just because its faded....some real tubs have been restored with some elbow grease, good technique and materials..mine included.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 6:04am
My 82 Stars and stripes still had wood stringers. The all composite boat came shortly after but I do not know the exact year. The metal flake faded very badly as the boat sat in the water in the sun all summer long. All we did was remove the vinyl MasterCraft lettering and all the stars, then clear coated it and installed new vinyl. Looked like new and only took a day to do. I might take some heat for this but the MC is wider than a Nautique of the same vintage and turns so much nicer, very flat full throttle turns, the boat does not roll over at all. I love my CC but nothing wrong with an old stars and stripes.

I believe 68 is correct for the first MC. I owned a 1971 that was hull #15 so the early years were not high production. At the time I restored the 71 it was the oldest known MC other than the one that MC had in the showroom at their factory. Bought that boat as a basket case for $800 and sold it one year later for $6500. I'll try to dig up some photos and post later.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 8:07am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I believe 68 is correct for the first MC. I owned a 1971 that was hull #15 so the early years were not high production. At the time I restored the 71 it was the oldest known MC other than the one that MC had in the showroom at their factory. Bought that boat as a basket case for $800 and sold it one year later for $6500. I'll try to dig up some photos and post later.

Absolutely correct. 68 first year for MC.
MC has a 68 on display at the factory. Almost no volume until 73.
Not an MC guy, gut I'd love to see some photos of your 71. Not many of those out there.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 8:45am
Mars88,
Just so you have a starting point here are some photos I dug up of what I would classify as a Big Mess. If The boat you're looking at isn't this bad then go for it.

We drove 21 hours for this? The engine and tranny came home in the bed of the pickup.Nightmare

There should be no stars on a 71, we stripped the whole boat
wrong color too
Going back together
Holman Moody 302

almost done

Final paint was White Imron with a Bronze Metallic stripe and Red pinstriping . Started looking pretty good. Took one year to get that far. I never even finished it. I took it to the lake a few times for test runs and someone offered $6500 for it. Money talks so off it went.

I saw the boat a few months later and the new owner put STARS back on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 9:12am
Looks like some nice work 81. Love the overspray when someone painted on the red stars and strips. Go figure. It would be a rare and unique boat to own.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

tomncis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomncis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 9:16am
81Nautique, great looking old MC! My wife recently bought a 1972 MC for my birthday and until now I have only seen the 1968 MC that is on display at the factory. My boat is the original blue gel coat with white letters and striping. I'm the third owner and it's all original and runs great but of course the stringer are bad. Would you mind sharing with me how you went about doing the stringer? What type of wood did you use and did you cut the top off the originals to remove the bad stringers or did you start from scratch? Thanks,

Tom
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 10:17am
more bad news. The boat i'm looking at has some fiberglass thats has a homemade patch. It looks as if they loaded it too hard on the trailor and hurt the nose. It has been patched and it's that big....big deal or no?
mars
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 12:49pm
Tomncis,

My boat was much worse than just stringers. The way the old MC's were made was the bottom of the hull was actually outside gelcoat, layers of glass, then 1/2" thick plywood cut into blocks in assorted sizes from about1-3" wide by 2-4" long, then final layers of fiberglass. The plywood was cut into small squares and laid in so they would follow the curve of the bottom. On my 71 the hull had leaked for a long time where the prop shaft goes through. The plywood got soaked and eventually it all delaminated.

When I got the boat, the floors had been cut out, the stringers were rotted beyond any use and I had to cut out and replace to interior skin of glass on the bottom from the transom to about center under the engine. That was a hugh project but it went back together pretty good. Worse part was that I had very few reference points because someelse had started the project. The integrity of the hull and the actual shape of the hull had been lost also so I did my best to get the hull to look straight but ended up with hull that porposed real bad at WOT. Finally put some small fixed trim tabs on it and ground them down to fine tune it and it drove pretty good after that.

For stringers I hand picked the straightest Fir 2x12's I could find and scribed them to fit full length of the boat in one piece. The boat was pretty solid when repaired as I probably overdid it with resin and glass.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I sort of wish I had kept it but then I wouldn't have my CC now would I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic