NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel sender replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel sender replacement
    Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:48am
After my rebuild I replaced all my gauges and the fuel tank sender. My fuel gauge just started only reading up to half a tank in the last couple of weeks. I pulled off the sender lead and grounded it to the tank and the gauge pegged high so I knew the gauge was good.

I was not a happy camper that the sender only lasted three months. It was a Moeller which I thought was supposed to be a pretty good unit. I did some searching and I found some senders at Wema USA. These are not the traditional swing arm construction. These are a vertical tube that the float rides up and down on. They're solid 316 stainless and the construction is stout. The cost for this unit was $43 shipped to my door. I think the Moeller was $20 or $25 but the construction differences are well worth it. I guess the real test is long it lasts. Check it out at http://www.wemausa.com/

If you're in the market for a new fuel sender, I would definitely give them a look.

Quite a bit more stout unit than the old one. I'm impressed.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:17am
Wow, that does look to be a better unit . I replaced mine with the old type 3 years ago. so far so good. Keep us informed of how it works out.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 9:01am
Eddie,
I looked at one of those senders when I was trying to figure out the problem with my X55 fuel gauge not working properly. I had installed a new generic sender and still no luck. It wasn't until I took the gauge to Pat Powell (the S/W gauge expert) that I found out the problem. The gauge in the X was a very odd 0 to 30 Ohm that didn't match the sender. I understand that there were about 5 years when Chevy used that Ohm gauge/sender combination. I had to go with the "standard" type sender but the 0 to 30 Ohm. Pat was very surprised hwn he checked the gauge and found out it was to 0 to 30. In all the years he worked at S/W, he said the only 0 to 30's they made went out to the military!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:18pm
Good Stuff Eddie, Thanks for passing along the info!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:42pm
Eddie,

That's good to know. I was looking at Fuel Senders on dealer page recently. They were getting $45 for the old style, and I guess the newer Nautiques used the nicer kind like you show. Except, there asking between $77 and $210!! based on boat.

Do you know how you would find the size/model/ohm you need? Or just pull the old one first?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Eddie,

That's good to know. I was looking at Fuel Senders on dealer page recently. They were getting $45 for the old style, and I guess the newer Nautiques used the nicer kind like you show. Except, there asking between $77 and $210!! based on boat.

Do you know how you would find the size/model/ohm you need? Or just pull the old one first?

Hey Brian,
If you go on the website they give you instructions on finding the right size.
They have several types of different mounting flanges so you just find the right flange for your application. The type that I have pictured above should be pretty standard for our boats. At least I've never seen anything different. These are listed as SSS/SSL type senders on the website.
The senders come standard as 240-30 OHM units which again should be pretty much standard on our boats. Pete stated how his is different but that is a fluke on his oldr boat. If you replaced the original gauge and sender with an aftermarket one that is a different OHM value you'll have to match it to the gauge. They said they can match to any different OHM values for an additional charge but I have no idea what that would be.
Then you just need to know the tank depth. The senders are offered in lengths of 4"-60" and senders up to 19" can be had in half inch increments. Anything above that is 1" increments. The website again tells you that for plastic tanks get the total tank depth and order the sender an inch shorter. On metal tanks you can order the sender .5" shorter than the tank depth.

The only difference you'll run into is redoing the existing wire connectors to something that will connect to the new wiring scheme because you won't have the wire terminals to connect to any more. I just crimped on new quick connect connectors to each end so I can just pull each one apart to remove again. It was very effortless.

There was a 20% discount that made the overall cost nicer so the cost may be a bit more than my $43 if that discount was removed. Still a lot cheaper than $77-$210 than you stated above.

Eddie
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 8:54pm
I would like to know if I order a standard 9-1/2" SSS/SSL sender if that will work for my 1993 Ski. I have two tanks, the one from the blue boat that is empty and dry, and a roughly 1/2 full tank from the purple boat. I discovered today that the sender from the blue boat is dead, with no readings on the ohm meter at all. I went out and measured the sender on the purple tank and it read a little over 300 ohms. This would NOT be between 30 and 240 ohms, so I'm confused about what is in our boats.

I'm looking to CCF to steer me in the right direction. Help me, oh wise friends.

Tank depth:

1/2 full tank:

Resistance reading:

Tank dimension (outside):
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
scottb7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 10:13pm
in my 2008 i have original wema stuff, oem gauge, and tank. and you know it never say's completely full...even with tank full it was not sending correct signal to gauge to show full. so not to rain on your parade, it will probably last a long time, but kind of wish I had float style so i can give a little tweak to the rod to get it right.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 10:30pm
My guage works well but it reads backwards. The PO had it installed right before he sold the boat. When the guage reads full you are out of gas. When the tank is full the guage shows the tank as empty.

I guess I need to flip something 180 degrees. Does anyone have any ideas on a fix for this?

Thanks,

Donald
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 11:34pm
Kevin,
Pull the sender out of the tank and hold the meter leads on the sender like you have in the pic. Move the arm on the sender up and down and the resistance should change. If the resistance of the sender is 310 ohms like you show, I'm guessing the sender is shot but you need to verify what the resistance of the fuel gauge is.
If you look on the back of the gauge it should tell you what the resistance of it is. You might be able to read it by crawling underneath the dash but you'll probably end up having to remove the gauge to read it. Most of our boats are 240-30 ohms but it doesn't mean it couldn't be something else.
Whatever resistance the gauge is you need to match the sender to it.

Looking at the pic of the tank depth, it looks a little under 11". If it was mine I would order a 10" sender.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 11:44pm
Donald,
I'm guessing in your case the leads are reversed someplace. Pull the sender lead off and touch it to ground. The gauge should peg high (full). If it goes empty, the leads are definitely reversed then. Should be a pretty easy fix.

Eddie
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 3:40am
I pulled one of my fuel gauges from a dash pod (already conveniently removed from a boat), and... I don't think there is anything here about the resistance. There is a sticker that says:

1 251 015 184A
12V

All I see there is twelve volts, which I knew.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 9:26am
Kevin,
That 300 Ohm (empty) reading may be OK and due to the wiper on the sender being corroded/dirty giving you some extra resistance. Pull the sender as mentioned and check it out of the tank both with the VOM and connected to the gauge. Senders have never been real accurate.

Donald,
I've never reversed the sender and 12 volt leads on a gauge to know what will happen. Try it and see if the gauge will respond normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 10:24am
Donald,
Here's another thought.
You said the PO changed the sender before he sold it. I guess it's possible that the sender itself is wired wrong from the manufacturer. Like I said, pull the sender lead and touch it to ground. If the gauge pegs to the full side, all the wiring from the sender lead to the gauge is correct and the gauge itself is good. Then you have a faulty sender.

Eddie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 11:17am
Just an idiosyncrasy of a 'gardens boat Don,after all they were never far from home
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 12:28am
Guys,

Thanks, I will try what you guys suggested. Marty also sent me a PM and stated the float could be wrong.

Merry Christmas,

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Just an idiosyncrasy of a 'gardens boat Don,after all they were never far from home

Gary,

I too am surprised that the Cypress Gardens, Sea World and Bush Gardens Technicians could of got this float replacement wrong.

Likely adds even more value to this rare piece of history.   

Donald
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 12:31am
The show must go on Don! Merry Christmas to you too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic