Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intake/carb selection for 318 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intake/carb selection for 318 Chrysler
    Posted: October-28-2005 at 10:11am
The 318 in my '69 Barracuda is going to get a rebuild this winter. That's not exactly accurate, though. I've obtained a late '80's roller cam 318 and plan to use my crank in it to wind up with a reverse rotation roller cam 318. The compression will be about 9.2:1, somewhat higher than my factory '69 318.

My question here is: should I also plan on replacing my intake and carb, or is the factory carb and marine intake adequate?

I rebuilt the factory carb this summer, and it seemed to be working fine. The auto block I'm using came with a couple of Thermoquads. Would one of them (rebuilt) be a better carb? Or should I buy new off the shelf?

Edelbrock has a good Performer intake for the 318, but I don't know if it is good for marine use. Don't know whether all of my hoses, especially the cooling hoses, will hook up right to that manifold. Can I use the right marine thermostat with it? And I didn't know whether auto and marine manifolds are designed with the different angles to put the carb level on top.

Or should I just put my factory 4 bbl. intake back on top and get a new carb. If so, what?

Thomas
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2005 at 6:43pm
Thomas,
This may be a long posting: Mainly you must proceed with considerable caution on this upgrade as this vintage Chrysler engine is more "marine" particular than almost all other marine conversions. We found this out thru experience, aka mistakes, and numerous conversations with vintage Chrysler experts. Several items to keep in mind up front. You will need a reverse rot cam and I don't know of a roller version available, but a standard RR cam upgrade is available. Next, and the biggest anomaly, is the plumbing system which directly affects or is affected by the intake manifold, which is the most unique issue to this engine. As you will or have already noticed on your existing intake, it's stamped "MARINE", and is for a reason. Like some early pre '66+/- Interceptor Fords, there is no circulating water pump, only a two impeller raw pump in this case. Water flows into the front housing/cover- then into the starboard block then head and into the intake- then BACK into the front cover and then into the port block and head and then finally out of the intake and out of the engine. The water path isn't open straight thru or across the front of the intake/engine like most do prohibiting the use of an automotive intake, UNLESS you modify it to operate like Marshall did to control the flow as required. (see Marshall Morgan's hot 273 Chrysler 1970 Mustang in the diaries with an Edelbrock) You must block the flow and direct it back out of the intake with a new nipple. You'll see the hose on the left front leading from the intake back into the front cover. So study the way the water flows thru the somewhat confusing diagram in the Chrysler owner's manual in the REFERENCE SECTION. A standard auto intake will not flow adequate water to the port side of the engine. BUT, I do recommend having the modification made and going with the aftermarket intake as it made a considerable difference in performance, and your original T-stat housing and hoses will then hook up correctly.

Your factory marine intake has a "wedge" built into it, (Chrysler was serious with the marine stuff) and you may want to install a wedge with the new intake, but it will run fine without it with a newer modern carb. I'd want to stay with the original Carter or a Holley (won't bolt on orig marine intake) or Edelbrock marine carb (back barrels won't open on orig intake as ports too small). Many of the newer Edelbrock intakes are of the spread bore design, but many standard square bores, like Marshall's, are out there on Ebay and at good prices, and if you're gonna buy something used, an intake is a safe bet. Hope this answers some questions. If you want to discuss this at any time, feel free to give us a call.
Reid      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2005 at 10:15pm
Sharp eyes there. I figured someone would pick up on the reverse rotation roller cam problem. I've actually found a way around that problem, although it isn't especially cheap.

But I was really asking about the carb/intake, which you've handled quite informatively. Considering that I already have heating/cooling issues, I'd just as soon avoid complicating them. I cracked a head and my tranny chronically overheats.

I plan on porting and polishing the heads and gasket-matching them to the intake. Is it a waste to do that to my factory iron marine intake? Or where can I get this add-on wedge you're talking about? That was my concern, other than the cooling hookups. It seemed like the marine manifold had a different angle to the carb base than an auto intake.

My other concern is getting a carb that doesn't take advanced training in machining/fabrication and air/fuel research to hook up and adjust. With my current setup I can just hook it up the way it was. Kinda lame, but fabrication isn't my forte.

If I get you right, then you're saying the Edelbrock Performer is a substantially better intake and worth the effort? Marshall intake? Never heard of that. What is that?

Call you how?

Better still, you're in Mooresville, NC? Why don't I just come see you? I'm up close to Roanoke, VA, and have family in Charlotte.

Thomas
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2005 at 2:03am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Thomas,
This may be a long posting: Mainly you must proceed with considerable caution on this upgrade as this vintage Chrysler engine is more "marine" particular than almost all other marine conversions. We found this out thru experience, aka mistakes, and numerous conversations with vintage Chrysler experts. Several items to keep in mind up front. You will need a reverse rot cam and I don't know of a roller version available, but a standard RR cam upgrade is available. Next, and the biggest anomaly, is the plumbing system which directly affects or is affected by the intake manifold, which is the most unique issue to this engine. As you will or have already noticed on your existing intake, it's stamped "MARINE", and is for a reason. Like some early pre '66+/- Interceptor Fords, there is no circulating water pump, only a two impeller raw pump in this case. Water flows into the front housing/cover- then into the starboard block then head and into the intake- then BACK into the front cover and then into the port block and head and then finally out of the intake and out of the engine. The water path isn't open straight thru or across the front of the intake/engine like most do prohibiting the use of an automotive intake, UNLESS you modify it to operate like Marshall did to control the flow as required. (see Marshall Morgan's hot 273 Chrysler 1970 Mustang in the diaries with an Edelbrock) You must block the flow and direct it back out of the intake with a new nipple. You'll see the hose on the left front leading from the intake back into the front cover. So study the way the water flows thru the somewhat confusing diagram in the Chrysler owner's manual in the REFERENCE SECTION. A standard auto intake will not flow adequate water to the port side of the engine. BUT, I do recommend having the modification made and going with the aftermarket intake as it made a considerable difference in performance, and your original T-stat housing and hoses will then hook up correctly.

Your factory marine intake has a "wedge" built into it, (Chrysler was serious with the marine stuff) and you may want to install a wedge with the new intake, but it will run fine without it with a newer modern carb. I'd want to stay with the original Carter or a Holley (won't bolt on orig marine intake) or Edelbrock marine carb (back barrels won't open on orig intake as ports too small). Many of the newer Edelbrock intakes are of the spread bore design, but many standard square bores, like Marshall's, are out there on Ebay and at good prices, and if you're gonna buy something used, an intake is a safe bet. Hope this answers some questions. If you want to discuss this at any time, feel free to give us a call.
Reid      
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2005 at 2:12am
ok sorry about that,

"Mainly you must proceed with considerable caution on this upgrade as this vintage Chrysler engine is more "marine" particular than almost all other marine conversions."

"see Marshall Morgan's hot 273 Chrysler 1970 Mustang in the diaries with an Edelbrock" same block??? 319 ??? SB chrysler????

Someone's boat in the diaries not a manufacturer of intakes.

Key words "MARINE" "CHRYSLER" hard to find! very easy to turn to junk??? Very rare$$$$$$ very good if you like power?????

They know what they are doing ?? reid & marshall??? .02

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2005 at 10:34am
Thomas,
Come on down. We'll have a boat hangin in the boathouse for a few more weeks.

Like 79Nautique clarified, the intake I referenced as Marshall's is indeed an older Edelbrock, and simply a predecessor to the excellent Performer intake.

I do feel the intake is a worthwhile performance investment, esp if you have some interest in doing the head work as well.

I thought my mobile number was out there somewhere but my mistake. It's 704-451-5080, and it stays on just about all the time, for boat talk anyway.
Thanks.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 9:23pm
This thread is kinda old but I am home for turkey day and I am trying to catch up on the forum.

My 2 cents about roller cams: Ultra high lift cams require extra strong valve springs to keep the valves from bouncing at extreme high RPMs. These strong springs will wipe out a standard cam lobe using standard lifters. Roller cams and lifters are therefore required.

An ultra high lift cam may not be desirable for a marine application and in any case you will not see a performance gain by just simply using lifters with rollers.

Take all that money, buy a mild or slightly warm marine duty cam, a good ignition system, a good carb, a tune-up, and a good prop. Buckle in and prepare to haul butt!
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 3:04pm
I have to apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead!

Although the last thing I need is another project, I inadvertantly stumbled across a few nice candidates recently. Both of these boats are of the 1969-1972 vintage, and both have been equipped with Chrysler 273 motors. The only thing I know about these motors is what Ive read in this post and others like it on this forum. Im curious how favorably these motors compare to the Ford 289/302 that seem to be more common. Are parts still available for these motors? How well do they compare performancewise? I a$$ume they are just as reliable?

Hopefully ReidP will chime in as I know he has a few Chryslers. Maybe his return to the forum is a sign that I should snatch one of these projects up?

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 6:22pm
Tim- I had some good experiences with my old 318. Parts were readily available. Marine Parts Source had just about anything I needed.the engine was very reliable- no complaints.
Good luck man
-Brad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:17pm
Brad, glad to hear you had good luck with your Barracuda. Ive got no room or time for a project, but if the parts are available Im not sure I can pa$$ this one up. Ill let you know how I make out.

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 11:56pm
Tim, I've also been very pleased with the old Chrysler I've got. The 318 sounds better than great, has plenty of pull, great hole shot, and as been very reliable.
I put an electronic ignition in it, changed the belt, plugs, and of course oil.
Good luck, and let us know what you do.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 8:52pm
Tim, sorry I missed this the other day, but it's another of my favorite subjects, AND engines. Some may be aware that I'm a somewhat hard core Ford guy, but the Mopars are close second when it comes to marine stuff.. And after running my green Mustang and Marshall Morgan's 273s for the last two years I'm hooked. They only rated this engine at 200HP compared to 210 for the earliest '65-70 Ford 4Vs. As to a power comparison between a 273 and the earliest 289-302 Ford, from what I've seen the Fords by
virtue of 16-29 more cubes, have a little more low-end on average, but on the top-end, my money's on the Chrysler. I've yet to run one in a '71 up hull which is typically a little faster than the earlier hulls. But on the early hull, the fastest stock boats I've seen had the Chrysler. I've actually got a vintage Chrysler Marine sales flyer that specifically touts the high rpm power of the 273. I don't want to offend the more plentiful Ford brethren however, as that's still an easier engine to get even more HP out of, and even easier than any sub-308 c.i. BowTie. So snatch up those projects, Tim. I've got you a new HI-PO RevRot marine cam on the shelf in the garage, you can make those heads flow just like 340's, and a factory domed 10:1 piston is available from Egge Machine for that rebuild. This is Marshall's 1970 273.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:44pm
Reid, thanks for the input. Do you think those 273's have better top end than even the H-M 302's?

It looks like the project I was eyeing was snatched up before I moved on it- its probably just as well. It was a '70 Mustang that was a little rough- but appeared solid and all original.

There will definitely be an older CC in my future- Ill be keeping an eye out.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 9:31am
alot of nice touches
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2006 at 10:48am
Never under estimate the power making capability of a 273. They run better then they should and you can spin them. (I used to shift my stock 273 'Cuda at around 6200-6300.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Reid, thanks for the input. Do you think those 273's have better top end than even the H-M 302's?

It looks like the project I was eyeing was snatched up before I moved on it- its probably just as well. It was a '70 Mustang that was a little rough- but appeared solid and all original.

There will definitely be an older CC in my future- Ill be keeping an eye out.

I had to chuckle... in doing a little bit of reading on my newly-acquired '70 Stang (273 Chrysler), I stumbled across a gold mine of a post from (who else but) Reid. And at the very end, a few questions from myself, circa 2006- inquiring about a 273 that I hadnt purchased (yet). Well, it took me 6 years and 4 owners to finally come to terms on the boat, but it finally made its way home! So Im glad I found this thread (again).

Back to reading!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 7:45pm
Tim,
I'm really glad you've finally joined the 273 club. That thing really looks like she needed a new home. I'm willing to bet also that you'll grow fond of that big/little engine as well. You failed to mention to everyone that in the condition shown, without a tune or anything, it knocked out a stout 46.3 mph on the GPS. From a supposed 200HP! I bet it'll be giving Joe a run for his money once those ignition parts get installed .

One of these days SkiCat might have his cool red 273 Skier completed also. I forgot to ask him about it in Nashville. Greg?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 8:01pm
Ha, I was gonna wait for a tuneup before I posted any water test results. Lots of parts ordered this week- Im thinking the ignition parts should make a noticeable difference, as the points were in pretty lousy shape. No idea what the timing is either.

Big little engine is a great way to put it- the thing is huge! Hard to believe theres only 273ci in there, ha.

Last I remember on Greg's Skier is that it was pretty far along. I forgot it had a Chrysler in it!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 8:22pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 8:59pm
The boat sounds great. Is it redwith a white deck, a twin to Sage's?
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 10:59pm
Got to love the sound of a mopar stretching its legs!!!
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 11:30pm
Bruce, a near twin- its a year or so newer so minor trim differences... And it's red where Sage's is mahogany.

It does sound good!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 12:40am
Sounds to me like it's not getting enough air. You know, Marshall has the hopped up 340 Mopar Mustang, but nobody's tweaked a 273 yet, like they have with the small Fords. Sounds like a job for Tim.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 12:46am

Great video, sounds great. I'd stand behind a Chrysler over a Ford anyday..I've got a 75 Chrysler 360, never rebuilt, that I trust far more than the 74 Ford 351 I've got in the other....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Tim,
One of these days SkiCat might have his cool red 273 Skier completed also. I forgot to ask him about it in Nashville. Greg?

Red skier----Yellow ski nautique?

Life has interrupted my toy money for a bit. I had to pay out everything for my wreck so far and nothing from the trucking company yet. Medical bills just about tickled the $100,000 mark. But when I do (greedy lawyer!) I will get the interior finished and I should be good to go with the skier. Hopefully things will be settled by the end of the year.

It does have the 273 as well and fired right up after sitting for quite a few years.

And the yellow ski nautique?
Greg

86 BFN
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

And the yellow ski nautique?

You'll have to ask Jerry about that.   Did you by chance mention it to him at Nashville? He still says he's gonna work on it soon, but "soon" in this case could mean sometime in the next 10 years.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:42pm
Ouch, I hear you about that money tree. Glad to hear your recovery went well and youre back to skiing though!

I had to look up your old thread to remember what color the deck was on your Skier... all red- love it. We still havent made a lick of progress on Nicks red/cream Skier, unfortunately. Yours looks close enough to throw some lawn chairs in it and go for a spin though... god knows I would have done that by now!

skicat's '71 Skier
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:49pm

I had to look up your old thread to remember what color the deck was on your Skier... all red- love it.
skicat's '71 Skier

Man, that is what it looks like? I couldn't remember myself!

Maybe I do need to get it out and throw some chairs in it and see what it will do.

And yes, I did ask Jerry about the yellr one. I think he has been trained by the master!

Greg

86 BFN
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 6:09pm
Hmm why can i not tell trhe difference between my 318 and this 273?

Could my engine be a 273?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum=1

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Great video, sounds great. I'd stand behind a Chrysler over a Ford anyday..I've got a 75 Chrysler 360, never rebuilt, that I trust far more than the 74 Ford 351 I've got in the other....

Hey i know Chrysler makes a nice motor but whats so bad about the 351 Windsor? Its a very simple and reliable motor with good low end torque. One of Fords best (surprisingly). The only better series that i can think of is their FE series motors. But any way. Could you take a full shot of your boat? Also that motor sounds real nice for how old she is! How many rpm's was that pushing?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic