Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grounding Fuel Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grounding Fuel Tank
    Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:14pm
My 1955 Chris Craft restoration is almost finished and I'm concerned about fuel tank grounding. Part of the original copper fuel line had to be replaced with rubber and now the fuel tank isn't grounded. Should I run a ground wire from the tank to the engine block, or bridge the part of the copper fuel line that was replaced with rubber with a wire, or what?

Sam
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:22pm
Sam, would the tank not be grounded by the neutral wire from the sending unit to the ground behind the dash? I'm not sure how these are set up.

I would think that if you need to ground at the block, you could come off with a ground wire from the sending unit and route it to the grounding point on the block.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:23pm
Sam,
I'd go with the extra wire. There's something that always bothered me about using the copper fuel line as an electrical conductor! However, the practice was quite common especiaaly for the ground up to the dash when the old copper tubing was used for the mechanical oil pressure gauges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:34pm
Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the extra wire direct to the engine block.

Sam
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:40pm
Pete I am also wondering if the fuel filler should be grounded since it's isolated from the tank by the hose?? I always thought I should do it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 12:17am
Yes. per ABYC and 33 CFR 183. They both should be connected to DC negative.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 2:46am
How would you ground a plastic inline fuel filter when it has rubber fuel line on both ends? Maybe I should replace it with a metal inline filter with a wire soldered to it and run the other end of the wire to the block. I'm baffled by wiring and electricity.

Sam
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:28am
Only metallic components of the fuel system need to be grounded. Grounding a non-conducive component, such as a plastic fuel filter, serves no purpose.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 8:39am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Only metallic components of the fuel system need to be grounded. Grounding a non-conducive component, such as a plastic fuel filter, serves no purpose.

John,
I just reviewed this subject on Friday at the OSHA 10 hour class I went to. I asked the question since the other day our fire chief mentioned it during an inspection. The chief saw we had a plastic gas can for our lawn mower and the conversation went to having to sit them on the ground during filling just like you do a metal. At the OSHA class I asked and both the certified instructors confirmed it as well. Although the risk is less with plastic, they will build static charges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 1:36pm
Yes Pete, you are right. The gas tank needs to be grounded. This is done with the ground wire for the sending unit, which is a metallic component. Any fuel tank that is not permanently installed in a boat and grounded (a portable tank) must be removed from the boat and placed on the ground (not the wooden dock) before filling it. It is also a good idea to touch the tank (or car, or whatever you are filling) with your hand while holding the nozzle before inserting it to discharge any static charge. Also, never fill a fuel tank in the bed of a pickup / trailer, or the trunk of a car. They build up a static charge and have four big rubber insulators.
As far as the question about grounding an in-line plastic fuel filter or any other non metallic component, my answer is still no.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 2:03pm
Now, does the grounding of the sender, automatically ground the connected tank?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Yes.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 2:18pm
And just because you can't clog a subject enough;
183.572 – Grounding  (http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/fuel_standards_partp.aspx)
Each metallic component of the fuel fill system and fuel tank which is in contact with fuel must be statically grounded so that the resistance between the ground and each metallic component of the fuel fill system and fuel tank is less than 100 ohms.
Fuel flowing from the dispensing nozzle into a fuel tank is a potential source of a static electric charge which could cause a spark between the dispensing nozzle and metal component of the fuel tank fill system. To prevent such a spark from occurring, metallic components of the fuel tank fill system and metallic fuel tanks must be grounded.
Grounding or bonding may be accomplished by connecting the metallic components electrically by running a wire from one component to the next, and so forth to the boat’s ground. Grounding can usually be accomplished by a connection to the common bonding conductor or the engine negative terminal.
If the fuel tank deck fill fitting is nonmetallic, and nonconductive hose is used as a fill pipe, there is no need for grounding the fill fitting. Chrome-plated plastic fill fittings are treated the same as metallic fittings.
NOTES:
1. If a metal hose attachment fitting is used, it must be grounded.
2. Fill cap retaining chains need not be grounded.

I have used the metal wire coiled within the fuel fill hose as the grounding wire for the deck fill. It makes for a neat looking installation. Check it with an Ohm meter to assure it's continuity.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 2:31pm
Sam,    Why not lose the rubber hose and replumb with double flared soft copper?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 5:33pm
FWIW-I think Gary was referring to the filler neck and not the fuel filter.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:29pm
Does this all mean I run a wire from one of the screws that attach the fuel sender to the tank and attach the other end to where the negative battery cable attaches to the block and disregard the rubber and plastic?

Sam
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

NO

Rubber gasket and plastic washers under the screw heads in many cases. There is aground buss welded to the tank for a very specific reason.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:38pm
There shouldn't be any hose associated with the filler neck and cap.
It should have a threaded brass pipe with a lock ring.
I'd still ground the tank via wire. No matter, copper line or rubber line.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by sam57 sam57 wrote:

Does this all mean I run a wire from one of the screws that attach the fuel sender to the tank and attach the other end to where the negative battery cable attaches to the block and disregard the rubber and plastic?

Sam

Does your fuel gauge work? The sender needs to be grounded since that's the grounding point of the gauge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:33am
The float mechanisim is rusty and I doubt it would work and I never trust them anyway. I would rather just "stick" the tank to check the fuel level. Does not the fact the screws holding the sender to the tank contact the tank make for a good grounding point? Plus, having electricity at the fuel tank just doesn't seem right. As far as I'm concerned, the fuel gauge fills a hole in the dash and looks good, I just want to be safe.
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:39am
Many of the Chris Crafts and Centuries of the 40's and 50's didn't have fuel gauges or temperature gauges, it was an option. If it was pumping water the cooling system was working, and you knew you had fuel by sticking the tank. As a matter of fact, a wood fuel stick with notches came with these boats.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 1:56am

The float mechanisim is rusty and I doubt it would work and I never trust them anyway. I would rather just "stick" the tank to check the fuel level. Does not the fact the screws holding the sender to the tank contact the tank make for a good grounding point? Plus, having electricity at the fuel tank just doesn't seem right. As far as I'm concerned, the fuel gauge fills a hole in the dash and looks good, I just want to be safe.

Yes, in the case of a metal tank, the screws thread into holes in the tank causing an electrical connection between the screws and the tank. The sending unit gasket goes between the sending unit and the tank. The base of the screw heads should contact the sending unit. If your gauge works the tank should be grounded, providing the components are installed correctly. In the case of a plastic tank the sending unit grounds the fuel tank through the conductivity of the gasoline.
If your sending unit is rusty replace it, they are inexpensive.Sticking the tank is a good way to introduce contaminants to your fuel system. If you are unsure about the ground, check it with an ohmmeter.100 ohms is the standard per USCG.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 8:49am

Do you know how to use an Ohm meter? As John mentions, you need less than 100. If you want to just stick the tank that's fine but on the other hand you say you want to be safe too. Don't let being lazy get in the way of safety.   What other USCG standands are you just ignoring? What kind of "restoration" are you doing to the 55?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 10:50am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Interesting...got a pic? My 79 and 88 had a short section of reinforced hose between the tank and filler.
1988 BFN-sold

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:14am
Sorry Greg,   My '66 and '74 does too.   But, Sams '55 Chris * Craft don't or shouldn't.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Interesting...got a pic? My 79 and 88 had a short section of reinforced hose between the tank and filler.

Greg,
You may have missed Sam's first post that it concerned his 55 Chris. I don't have a picture of my 54 but the typical set up back then was just the nipple. The nipple goes from the tank through the deck and the fill cap screws directly to it.

My 1918 launch tank:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:18am
See, Greg.    Pete don't even have a hose.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:49am
Got it.
1988 BFN-sold

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:55am
Sorry Pete,    I really need to stop doing that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:46pm

Sorry Pete,    I really need to stop doing that.

Al,
I'm fine with it and actually thought the comment was funny!! It just took me a few to respond since I was out of the plant on an errand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic