NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grounding Fuel Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 12:17am
Yes. per ABYC and 33 CFR 183. They both should be connected to DC negative.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:40pm
Pete I am also wondering if the fuel filler should be grounded since it's isolated from the tank by the hose?? I always thought I should do it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:34pm
Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the extra wire direct to the engine block.

Sam
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:23pm
Sam,
I'd go with the extra wire. There's something that always bothered me about using the copper fuel line as an electrical conductor! However, the practice was quite common especiaaly for the ground up to the dash when the old copper tubing was used for the mechanical oil pressure gauges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:22pm
Sam, would the tank not be grounded by the neutral wire from the sending unit to the ground behind the dash? I'm not sure how these are set up.

I would think that if you need to ground at the block, you could come off with a ground wire from the sending unit and route it to the grounding point on the block.
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 2:14pm
My 1955 Chris Craft restoration is almost finished and I'm concerned about fuel tank grounding. Part of the original copper fuel line had to be replaced with rubber and now the fuel tank isn't grounded. Should I run a ground wire from the tank to the engine block, or bridge the part of the copper fuel line that was replaced with rubber with a wire, or what?

Sam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic