Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forgo what we know

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forgo what we know
    Posted: October-13-2005 at 1:16pm
Forgoing the warning sticker....
Here's my question... I've heard and or read about doing the WOT 180's, where you can complete the turn and wind up in the wake you traveled, at which point nailing the gas to bury the nose and thus uhhmm, clean the windshield and perhaps rinse the floor board.
What is the technique used to make this manuever? I've only been able to do the inside the wake turn once, and by the look on my wife's face (married men know the look) knew "rinsing" the nose was not an option.

Is the key to have a forward passenger?

Anyone? .......
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2005 at 2:44pm
Well...best to leave a passenger on the dock! Ease into it...less speed at first so you know how the boat will react...keep in mind at higher speeds,the steering cable (if weak) could break.So much for the warning part...be cafefull!
The boat will spin better one direction than the other.A hard turn while dropping into nuetral usually gets it....I don't nail the gas...but you can see if that makes it happen!If I nail the gas I start to plane again....good luck a stay safe!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2005 at 10:16pm
Thanks for the info. I can say that of all things that could go wrong I never thought of breaking the steering cable.
I'll put on my saftey hat and give it another spin.
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 8:13am
How about forgo the BS and just ski.
Good point, no passengers.
Pardon my frankness, but if you desire to drive a boat like a monkey, get a PWC.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 11:25am
I stopped that many years ago. Do it enough times and eventually you'll hit a wave just right and it'll flip over. Ya it's fun and looks cool and is very impressive. I can guarantee you, the chicks won't be impressed when the EPA shows up along with the local police. In one state (MN) I know the fine is $1000.00 per day for a sunken vehicle in a public lake or river. With the clock ticking like this, your not going to care if that boat is retrieved in one piece or not, not to mention it will pretty much be junk when its all said and done.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 12:46pm
Well...I do agree with the warnings mentioned because the potential for disaster is there!
I've been there and done it ...but always used caution...calm water where others are not present and eased into it without ever taking it to the extreem!I leave it alone now , because I think the stress on the boat is something I want to avoid....maybe every once and a while!
Enjoy you boat ride and give it a whirl or two...but keep safety in mind...for you and those nearby!!!
stang

The Super Air

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 1:18pm
Yes, glad you concur its tempting fate.
I've picked enough people out of the water over the years to learn trouble finds you less when one's not looking for it.

I've witnessed one of those spins go wrong and clearly saw the tripple-fins before the boat decided to roll back the way it came, and that became the last time i saw that particular SN goof off.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 2:28pm
I would suggest pay close attaintion to the water conditions if you are going to do it. If there is a chop I wouldn't do a 180 and the idea of washing down the boat doesn't seem fun at all.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 8:33pm
Not only steering cables, but the rudder takes a bit of force as well. It is very easy to lose a passenger....call SKIDIM and speak with Richard about the driver who was thrown out. It will make you think twice about the spin as well as the kill switch. That being said, some boats spin easier than others. On our small ski lake, at the end of a barefoot run, you have to back off the throttle and turn prior to hitting the bank. when we use the Malibu, it will spin without us really trying.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 9:44pm
The first time I did one my neighbor told me to due one. I snap the steering cable and three of his ribs as in the process.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 10:19pm
Again...leave the passenger on the dockAnd if you are to do it...know that there are risks...and it's stressfull on the equiptment!
The only reason we advise this caution...is...well... ah...dah...er...um..... we all did it too!!! So be carefull!

"Who without sin cast the first stone"    ...just don't hit me with it!!!
stang

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2005 at 9:40am
Years ago I had an 82 MC stars & stripes and that boat broke free and spun without even trying. That boat would spin on a dime at any speed effortlessly. I think with my 81 Nautique being a narrower boat and sitting a little deeper in the water it just takes much more to break it free in a spin. The spins are much more violent and after doing a good one in my new boat I think that's enough of that. Besides, being about 20lbs overweight, greying hair and a wife and two kids I stopped showing off to the girls on the beach a long time ago.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2005 at 9:57am
WOW! You all have certainly opened my eyes!

Thanks for the advice and your own experience.

Always good to hear "the rest of the story".
Danny

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic