NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OSB vs Exterior plywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:19pm
I would say Miss OSB is all that and a bag of chips. All that now, and a bag of chips in fourty years. I can imagine how much fun it would be to try and dissasemble and pattern.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:48am
It may be OSB, but look at the spec. The OSB is hardwood chips in WEST resin. Not the stuff we can go and buy. It's probably better quality than the marine ply we buy.
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

It may be OSB, but look at the spec. The OSB is hardwood chips in WEST resin. Not the stuff we can go and buy. It's probably better quality than the marine ply we buy.

Tom,
Yes, the OSB was encapsulated in epoxy but per the article, it was done after the OSB was made using traditional resins. Getting epoxy through a OSB manufacturing line would be a big problem.

The use of "hardwood" chips of flakes I'm sure was done for color and not strength. There are many soft woods like Sitka Spruce or even Doug fir that are higher in tensile than many hardwoods like some Mahogany's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

You might want to read also Guideoun(sp)Bros

Jack,
I forgot to pull out my Gougeon book yesterday when I got home yesterday. Hopefully, I can find it - I haven't used it since the days when everyone was finding out that the West system bottoms were failing. I'll look for it today.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:04pm
Thinking this topic has been pretty well pulverized.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic