Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop 1988 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
summer36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop 1988 Ski Nautique
    Posted: April-29-2012 at 2:44pm
Looking for some help I am a new member we have a 1988 2001 all original my brother has had it for past 11 years I am getting it back next week I am told from him that the prop was refinished and he had cup put in it now it moves to fast at idle and may not turn up the right rpms. I need to know if the prop can be fixed or do I need to buy a new one and if I need a new one what size should I get and where also what is the right rpms for that boat I think it turned up 4200.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 3:01pm
Alan - Find out what prop it has now.   If it was the original (most likely is a Federal prop), then it is not worth putting any money into.

Tim will surely have some good advice for you within a day or so.

They have reunion going on this weekend at White Lake - many members are living the dream . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
summer36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 3:30pm
Thanks the boat is all original my parents purchased it new in 1988 my brother has had it in Florida for the past 11 yrs it is still in like new condition. It just needs some minor things like a prop. I would like to get it going again an take it to a reunion where do I find a list of events.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 9:24pm
Alan - An Acme prop may be in your future. They are the best out there, according to most on this site.

There may be a CCF reunion in NH this fall, although I haven't seen any info on it yet - stay tuned!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 11:54pm
It depends on what you want to do with the boat. If you're goona ski then a Acme 540 is the way to go and if you're gonna load the boat down with weight to wakeboard then you are gonna want to go with the Acme 542.

I upgraded mine 2 years ago to the 540 and love it!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
summer36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:22am
Thanks Tim I have the same boat but in blue. I am not looking to do a lot of wakeboarding only waterskiing. Do you know what rpms it will turn up with the 540.

I also have a lot of questions for you being we have the same boat. The boat should be back to me this week I want to go over the whole boat.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:47am
Alan, here's the link to a blog here on the site a couple of years ago that I posted of the performance results of the 540 on my boat. Hope this helps you get a general idea.

'Miss Scarletts' performance #'s with a ACME 540
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:56pm
What tranny is in the 88 SN? Thanks
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Airgrabber Airgrabber wrote:

What tranny is in the 88 SN? Thanks

Good question, the 88 should still have the 1 to 1, which means that the 540 prop that Tim mentions should be good.

In 89, they switched to the 1.23 to 1, so if you have that trans, you would want a different prop.
summer36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:22pm
Yes it has a 1 to 1 borgwarner and I think the 89 had a different transmission I think the muffler was over the top of it. Well it sounds like the 540 prop is for me. Thanks
summer36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:57pm
Tim

How about the 208 four blade.
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 1:43am
How does the 208 compare to the stock prop on my 85 nautique? I found a good deal on one but not sure if it's what I need.

Thanks
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by summer36 summer36 wrote:

Tim

I actually have a 1:1 tranny on my boat. It came with the ACME 208 and it's a pretty good all around prop. Although, I think most people here would recommend the ACME 540 (it's 3 bladed brother) because it should give more top end speed.

The 208 seems to perform very well, and if the deal is way better than what you could get on a 540, it's probably a good improvement over stock.
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:12am
Thanks, mine is a 1.23 tranny. I think I’m looking at a 1442 or a 470. Finding the right prop is a pain in the butt.
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:48am

I am told from him that the prop was refinished and he had cup put in it now it moves to fast at idle .

Alan,
Just backtracking here some - what's the idle RPM? It should be around 600.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 12:52pm
The prop is most likely fine. A little cup won't hurt and surely won't change idle speed much. 4200 rpm is just about right at WOT on an 88 Ski Nautique.

horkn also runs a 208 on his 240hp Martinique, there might be others. It would work just as fine as a 540, a significant upgrade over a Federal. If you're not already sure which one you need then you wouldn't notice the difference.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 2:14pm

Tim

Never tried a four bladed prop on mine but I did drive swatkinz 88 @ reids guys weekend a couple years ago. I believe it was a OJ four blade prop. I drove it a bit before he tried a 540 on it and after. He wanted to see if there was a difference enough to constitute the purchase of a 540. IMHO I saw a little difference for the better in the 540 over the 4 bladed OJ but not enough to constitute buying it. I wanna say the hole shot was a little better but then again that was 2 years and many beers ago!

Yes the 88's came with a 1:1 BW tranny and the 89's went to 1:23 and a single exhaust.
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 6:13pm
I bought a 208 off eBay new in the box for $200. Hope I like it.
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by rtsuggs rtsuggs wrote:

I bought a 208 off eBay new in the box for $200. Hope I like it.

For that price, I think you'll be pretty satisfied.

Let me know how it compares to your stock one. The PO of my boat had already installed the 208, so I don't have baseline.
summer36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:08pm
I don't have that info yet the boat just got back today I will get it in the water and let you know. It used to turn up about 600rpms.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic