NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine knock

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 10:26pm
Seb, any news?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:31pm
just came from there...
bitter...
First pulled the exhaust manifold complete
found rust on exhaust ports on #2 and #3 cylinder, so I undo de riser, and looks like the gasket was bad and leaked water into those cylinders after shut off. I will test anyway to see if I have a cracked water jacket in the manifold.
Then removed the valve cover and all plugs and turned the engine. Valves close fine.
Removed the Cylinder head...geez, found the problem..blown head gasket between #2 and #3. Strange as compression on 3 was fine.
Little scuff on cylinder 3. Looks like at some point overheated @ wot (didn´t notice it) and voila failure.
I´m taking the head to the machine shop to test for cracks and see the valve and seats on 2 and 3 cylinders.

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:33pm
now why the knock? the blown gasket? or piston slap?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

now why the knock? the blown gasket? or piston slap?

I was just going to ask that. Curious as to why there would be a knock unless the cylinder was filled with water or something.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:47pm
to this point my friend and mechanic, wants to check the head, fix it and put it again...and see what happens...
or should a i just remove the engine and see whats going on from below...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:24pm
Could you put a large breaker bar/ratchet on the crankshaft pulley and give it a couple of turns and see if you see any erratic movement? Just don't loose track of piston timing/location.

Or maybe with the starter? Be sure to disconnect/pinch off fuel going to the fuel pump.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:34pm
yes, I removed all plugs and turned it by hand, fine. also gave it some turns with the starter and moved fine, nothing strange according to my mechanic...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:49pm
Curious to know what brand head gaskets did you use? Marine?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:59pm
yes, the ones that came on the PCM OEM kit...

I have 2 extra sets of felpro gaskets that came with the engine kit from summit...was planning on using those when I put it back together...

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 5:36pm
Did you have the knock after changing the bad plug?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 8:38pm
Interesting Kap. When I changed over to gt40p's I got everything together before I pulled it apart. I pulled off the old Felpro standard gaskets I had used and replaced them with PCM marine ones.Did not know what I was going to find on tear down and thought I'd be better off using the marine ones. The Felpro's looked fine and since you have them I'd use them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 9:16pm
Kap, you just may have caught it in time, dodged a bullet. I hope it's back up and running soon.
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Did you have the knock after changing the bad plug?

yes still there...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:31pm
Don't put it back together without checking those rods
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 6:45pm
So definetely I will need to pull the engine to check the rods...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 6:53pm
Granted I have not personally heard the "knock" but other than a valve witness mark or something on the piston to explain it I am leaning toward your water in the cylinder trying to be compressed by the piston pushing water through the head gasket and bending the rod, or head gastet leaking first but either way a bent rod Causing the knock. Or a hot piston sticking could also bend a rod.   Other than the labor pullin it apart there isn much reason not to at least check the rods
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 7:05pm
you are correct there, it would be a double labor puting it back together to find the knock again...
I´ll go that way...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 8:36am
unless you want to do it twice...........funny, you always find the time to pull it apart a second time,
make sure that not only they check for cracks but they check it for flatness, check the deck too...not to often does a head gasket go, without a reason, could be as simple as stretched, weak bolts, just cover your bases...I know how some mechanics can be....the famous cliche "it will be fine" which translates too, "on your dime"
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:44pm
good news head is fine, doing the plane and seats...

bad news will need to go further and see the lower train to find the source of the knock....

i will also need to pull apart the other exhaust manifold to take both and have them decked....still in search of a local shop that have the machine to properly do the job...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:55pm
making "head"way
This is the life
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

still in search of a local shop that have the machine to properly do the job...

Pete has the Autozone list...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:20pm
no progress yet, yesterday I removed the other manifold to have the surface planed like the other, It came right off, only thing I busted a couple of knuckles in the process...

I was looking at the gaskets I have at home to compare them to the ones I removed from the engine, they are all felpro, but they are different. This in the picture, the one from the intake manifold: the one on top was intalled and the one on the bottom is the one i will use to reassemble. Other than the larger middle hole for the acc? they are quite the same. Is this OK?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:44pm
The hole in the middle is a exhaust cross over. Some gaskets have that little plate installed. Some you install if you want to restrict the exhaust flow through the intake.
One single plane intakes I've welded the cross over up.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:20am
well ow you guys some update..

sent the head to the machine shop, and checked fine, had it resurface and cleaned.
also had both manifold planed, all surfaces including the exhaust ports.
finally I did not remove the engine, I turned the engine by hand and compared that all pistons would get to the max heigth, they all did.
last week we put the head with new gasket and put the intake manifold.
Today I went and finished intalling the rest of the things, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, new plugs, etc...
fired right out, and went for a test ride....
relief no engine knock, at all, tried a couple of take off and nothing, look likr the engine is ok. Got to cruise a little hit the 3000rpm mark with no problem.
anyway I need to do some tunning as i have a minimal bog upon take off, then it catches. Need to check timing or do some carb adjustment.
I removed the plugs to check for water intrusion and nothing. Oil is clean, temp is fine.
seems i need to give some more running time as all plugs came clean.

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:47am
Good news!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 2:35am
Great!
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 2:40am
That is good news,too bad it's time to put it away   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 8:40am
I'm glad to got it Seb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:34pm
Good to hear
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:17pm
now seems like 1 1/2 month sleep, screwed up the battery....
or the timing needs to be set...
on cold starts engine turns over fine, after the test drive when the engine was at running temperature, if I tryed ro restart it would crank slowly, then eventually start, but on a 3rd or or more restart it would crank very slowly. As I didn´t had the tester yestrday I could not see the volts.
Today I went with the tester to take some numbers. Started with no problem, the alternator read around 14-15 volts, with peaks of 16. On the battery it read 12.06 volts...The conections at the battery were little rusty so I disconected and cleaned.
Went for a ride again, 15 minutes. And went back to the marina. T was always between 140 and 160 degrees, probably low due to cold water...
shut the engine, and again it cranks very slowly, it would not even start.
let it cool some minutes and is starts, but on a restart is turns slowly...
So either I have to much advance, or the battery needs some more time to get a full charge? Prior to the engine incident I had no problems...
BTW engine runs smooth.

Gary
winter is cold but not as cold as yours, so I use the boat anyway. I prefer footing on winter cause less boats around, only hassle is the drysuit entry!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic